Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #76
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
yeah. this should be fun...

today...and actually all week. last one. thank fuckin god.

this was a Bad idea...do'h!

and this is the rods that go inthe cylinders in the first pics.

I'm prett beat wrastlin them fuckers round for a week. mostly my ass hurts from camping out on it for seven days...
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #77
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag
we also had to grind all our own cutters from square tool stock

school?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #78
Chobro
spinning the wheel

Oddometer: 777
Holy shit!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #79
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,257
Howdy All,

In another life time decades ago, I used to be a journeyman Machinist of the old school, always hated working with lathes but consider myself a pretty damned good man with a mill. I still keep my hand in the trade working with this little old Jet bench mill, the mill was made in the early 70's and for its size if you don't push it hard it will do some decent work. Here I have it setup to mill the clearance for a V-Belt on the front cover of an experimental Ural engine.

I would like to have a small lathe just for some of the projects that I work on in the garage, something with a 4-6 inch swing and around 24 inches between centers would be perfect. If anyone in the Nor-Wet has such a critter at a reasonable price please contact me.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #80
Bake OP
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
I fucking hate alum/bronze. true bronze. rare. is ok. but still a PITA. just cause it turns nice doesn't make it fun. we call it turnin stripper dust.
and get a few bronze slivers good and deep....see how long. months...before you get them out. fuck that noise. give me H13, A3, 4140, etc anyday over that shit.
Former job used silicone-bronze for tooling pins, with sizes ranging from .625 to 4.0, mostly for weld jigs; tube assemblies. I didn't care much for cutting it either, it just didn't seem like it was happy no matter what speed you ran it. On our WW2 lathe, cutting more than .015 made such a hideous squeal the boss would complain
Any of the chrome moly's-4140, 4150, 4130, machine so fine. I think 4130 is God's own steel. Beautiful stuff to work with.
I did alot of A2..lots...because it heat treats up and grinds so nice after HT. Almost all of our pierce blank and form dies used it.

No surface grinders out there? The big ones usually come in from ship yards and oil field stuff. The little ones are nice. You can put on a really nice flat surface with them, nearly polished surface. Best machine going to milk a job

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #81
Bake OP
adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
always hated working with lathes but consider myself a pretty damned good man with a mill.
Me too. Maybe it's just because I learned on them first. Most shops just had a lathe guy, and you sent your stuff to him, and made everything else yourself

Quote:
I still keep my hand in the trade working with this little old Jet bench mill, the mill was made in the early 70's and for its size if you don't push it hard it will do some decent work. Here I have it setup to mill the clearance for a V-Belt on the front cover of an experimental Ural engine.
I had an Enco in the early '80s, mill drill like that, I was perfectly happy with it. 9 x 27 travel bed, 1.5 horse 110v, worked fine.

I miss that little mill. Damn divorces.

That's quite the set-up you have going there, Dave

Bake screwed with this post 01-14-2010 at 10:44 PM
Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #82
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake
Former job used silicone-bronze for tooling pins, with sizes ranging from .625 to 4.0, mostly for weld jigs; tube assemblies. I didn't care much for cutting it either, it just didn't seem like it was happy no matter what speed you ran it. On our WW2 lathe, cutting more than .015 made such a hideous squeal the boss would complain
Any of the chrome moly's-4140, 4150, 4130, machine so fine. I think 4130 is God's own steel. Beautiful stuff to work with.
I did alot of A2..lots...because it heat treats up and grinds so nice after HT. Almost all of our pierce blank and form dies used it.

No surface grinders out there? The big ones usually come in from ship yards and oil field stuff. The little ones are nice. You can put on a really nice flat surface with them, nearly polished surface. Best machine going to milk a job

we have three surface grinders. and a couple od and an id grinder.
i ran an 84" blanchard for awhile. fuck that noise. thats like work with sweat an stink an all tied together.

I really like acraloy and "super acra...4130. a lot. and even hastealoy. everyone else bitch's but i think it runs true than 8620 or 1045 and chips justas well with the right F&S.
the weld abilitly is sometimes a bitch but with a good preheat and temper it works just fine.
and the a,2-a,3 stock mills so nice. none of that gumby endmill killer muck.
h13 is nice too... soft 36r? but still takes a HT very nice and doesn't tweek so bad.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #83
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy All,

In another life time decades ago, I used to be a journeyman Machinist of the old school, always hated working with lathes but consider myself a pretty damned good man with a mill. I still keep my hand in the trade working with this little old Jet bench mill, the mill was made in the early 70's and for its size if you don't push it hard it will do some decent work. Here I have it setup to mill the clearance for a V-Belt on the front cover of an experimental Ural engine.

I would like to have a small lathe just for some of the projects that I work on in the garage, something with a 4-6 inch swing and around 24 inches between centers would be perfect. If anyone in the Nor-Wet has such a critter at a reasonable price please contact me.

there are a few right now in the PDX craigslist but over priced.. let me see what the boss knows. he basically knows everyone and with so many shops freefalling i might get a steal somewhere.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #84
Bake OP
adventurer

Quote:
the a,2-a,3 stock mills so nice. none of that gumby endmill killer muck.
h13 is nice too... soft 36r? but still takes a HT very nice and doesn't tweek so bad.
I think that's why we used so much a2, or s7, you can trust it to be dimensionally stable through the HT process. And it's pretty cheap.

Back when I did production manual milling at Boeing, I had this one part that came through, that one was always a mess. 2024-0 Al. 1" "plate" if you can call it that. Gummy is right, in that O condition, blech

Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #85
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Quote:
material is cheaper than time..well...not in what I do.
Not in what I do either...

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #86
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,573
Just picked up another lathe; Sebastian line shaft. $100.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #87
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Just picked up another lathe; Sebastian line shaft. $100.

but does it run?

Sebastion made good stuff. ...40years ago.

pics?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #88
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheedle
Not in what I do either...
if it 's just 4140 or CPO1086 it is. but thats only a third of what ido. usually its big ass ugly the kind of shit that breaks stuff. .
Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #89
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
i was always a "lathe dog"
mills never did it for me
I still think my true calling was a machinist.teacher 2nd
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #90
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake
Me too. Maybe it's just because I learned on them first. Most shops just had a lathe guy, and you sent your stuff to him, and made everything else yourself

I had an Enco in the early '80s, mill drill like that, I was perfectly happy with it. 9 x 27 travel bed, 1.5 horse 110v, worked fine.

I miss that little mill. Damn divorces.

That's quite the set-up you have going there, Dave
Howdy Bake,

The front cover was a very weird shaped part, kind of a bitch to hold in order to make the cuts needed, I just cobbled the setup using what ever I had to block it and hold it so that it wouldn't chatter when I made the cut. It turned out well, took longer to figure out how to hold the darn thing then to machine it.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: