Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #91
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
there are a few right now in the PDX craigslist but over priced.. let me see what the boss knows. he basically knows everyone and with so many shops freefalling i might get a steal somewhere.
Howdy dagwood,

I am looking for something SIMPLE, don't need a steady rest or any real complicated tooling, NEED to be able to run it on 110 Volts. Threading never was my bag, just need a usable power feed on the X and Y, some simple tooling and tool post, a live center would be nice but not a deal breaker. Did I mention I am a CHEAP bastard, let me know if you come across something. THANKS.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #92
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Subscribed!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #93
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,559
Quote:

but does it run?

Sebastion made good stuff. ...40years ago.

pics?
This things more like 100 years old. No pics, yet.. Forgot my camera.

It turns, but we don't have a line shaft shop, so I'm going to hook it up to a motor I have sitting on the bench.

Edit: It strongly resembles the one on the left in this picture. It's 15"x48".

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 01-16-2010 at 12:09 AM
crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:39 AM   #94
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
This things more like 100 years old. No pics, yet.. Forgot my camera.

It turns, but we don't have a line shaft shop, so I'm going to hook it up to a motor I have sitting on the bench.

Edit: It strongly resembles the one on the left in this picture. It's 15"x48".

have a motor for it yet? the old belters will take just about anything.
used to have one like that with a 1/2 hp washing machine motor. used it for a welding positioner.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:42 AM   #95
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy dagwood,

I am looking for something SIMPLE, don't need a steady rest or any real complicated tooling, NEED to be able to run it on 110 Volts. Threading never was my bag, just need a usable power feed on the X and Y, some simple tooling and tool post, a live center would be nice but not a deal breaker. Did I mention I am a CHEAP bastard, let me know if you come across something. THANKS.
so a benchtop Atlas/craftsman type or something a bit sturdier.?

I might have a lead on an atlas but bigger than the bench top. freestanding. I'll check today.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:48 AM   #96
dagwood
Banned

Quote:

I might have a lead on an atlas but bigger than the bench top. freestanding. I'll check today.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/1551249204.html

and could help ya out with some parts like the chuck it needs and tool post. we have piles of stuff that could be made to work on that. the price it right and parts are still available NOS.

shit i just noticed. it doesn't have an saddle. nevermind. that sucks. that coulda been a steal.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #97
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Quote:
if it 's just 4140 or CPO1086 it is. but thats only a third of what ido. usually its big ass ugly the kind of shit that breaks stuff. .
We get a lot of Titanium, BeCu, Inconel, 17-4 and 15-5 ph stainless... a ton of it , 4640...
1/4 million dollar engine cases, 200g landing gear forgings.
I know big ass too... I ran a vtl with a 72" face plate for a while. Now I mostly do little piece-part work, small fittings and such that we cant buy or that have a ridiculous lead time. I spend most of my time digging out broken fasteners and repairing fastener holes that some dummy has mucked up.

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #98
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag
i was always a "lathe dog"
mills never did it for me
I still think my true calling was a machinist.teacher 2nd
I'm the opposite... for some reason, I see the steps to make parts on a mill clearer in my head when Im planning it out.

- Todd Phillips
Old 01-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #99
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Quote:

used to have one like that with a 1/2 hp washing machine motor. used it for a welding positioner.
Oh man... wish I had pics of this old belt-drive monster of a lathe I ran in a shithole job-shop 12-13 years ago. The owner had this huge motor he dug up somewhere mounted to a cobbled together angle-iron frame 8 ft in the air. I guess that was how long the belts where... who knows with this guy. Anyway, you turn the motor on, and use this long arm to release a car clutch to drive the belt. It did not inspire confidence in your personal safety... The owner was something special...

Ill have to get some pics of our old Boko mill and Fosdick boring mill this week, maybe take a walk down to the other shop and some of their screwball machinery.

- Todd Phillips
Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #100
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 446
"70's Lucas. just like every other lucas.
boring H-13 pillow blocks. yeay."

I spent a lot of time on one of these bad boys during my apprenticeship many years ago. I ran a fair number of boring mills back then but always had a soft spot for the Lucas machines. A beautiful design, and crazy power. 30 years later, I think I could still run the pendant with my eyes closed. I'd love to have the chance. Certain machines you bond with. This one and I definitely did.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #101
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktower
By 2016 there will be little if no manufacturing in this country
Don't count us out yet. Pundits have been saying this for years, and it ain't happened yet. Reduced? Sure. Eliminated? Not likely. As others have pointed out, the skilled will always have jobs. I always told my employees (machinists)- you can treat it like a job, or you can treat it like a career. It's your choice. I'm hiring the ones that treat it like a career. And if I'm not, believe me, someone else is.

My daughter is now starting in the trade. I've told her there is no second place in this business. You be the best that you can be. No one can take away the pride that you'll feel in that. Go to school, read the trade rags, go to the tool shows, study the cutting tool catalogs, and think about what is happening in the physical space while you're moving metal. Never stop learning and never stop asking for more responsibility. If you do that you'll never be far from a job, and you'll have pride that few people ever get to experience in their working career. A trade mastered is a wonderful thing.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #102
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,559
Quote:

Yeah, off the top of my head it's a 1725rpm 1/3(?)hp. We've already started brainstorming on a pedestal with a cam-ed engage/disengage lever for the cone to mount on/behind it. I want to run it with some flat belts, as intended.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #103
Bake OP
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,517
Speaking of machine tools that just seem to align with your uses'
I used a KT "die mill" is what the boss called it. a vertical, nothing real big or powerful, probably 220v 3 hp. It could be used as a conventional mill, with power quill and all, but it had this bed with a big spiral of dowel holes and the head had a spiral of dowel holes. You could cut the most beautiful of circles with this guy. I'd put a radius cutters in it to finish the edge of the holes. I could made hydroform blocks for lightening holes in wing ribs and other structures. No programming required, just match up your series of dowel holes, T pin it, and off you go. Graduated in .10" diameter, from about 3/4" up to 8 or 10".
I could always trust it. My personal opinion is KT is good stuff.

Another old mill I enjoyed was a Tru-Trace Bridgeport. I know they could go wonky, but make a steel template of whatever, mount it on top of bushings on a base plate, set up your workpiece, and 2D profile any shape you needed. You just trace around the template with the control pen, and the hydraulics moved the bed around in x and y . In other words, it was a 2 hp milling pentagraph. We'd stack 20 sheets of part material, bolt through the stack, and mill out 20 flat pat parts at once. And no programming or $500K worth of machine.
This machine had 2 heads on it, so if you had a pretty high production schedule, you could double up and run both at once. The pens are replaceable, so if you had a reground cutter (almost always...) you just install the pen with that setback.
From an auction site. These poor old things will sit forever...you can see the stylus pin hanging down.

This model Bridgeport is what I ran for years and years. In the 80's, I ran these vertical mills for thousands of hours. I can make the reach for the pulley brake, the quill nut, the quill lock, high/low controls, table locks, ...my body still knows where these controls are, I could change the belts and run one of these at midnight with just a full moon...even today, with all the miraculous Haas and Mazak machines around, this is what I would like to have. To be retired, or otherwise have the time and thecash to take one of these down to the last nut and screw and rebuild it to new condition...as good as any old project bike to me. This old sweetheart needs to be making chips...and the proper color, instead of this sick ass green, it needs the right blue-gray...bid is $726 so far...cost more than that to move...

Bake screwed with this post 01-16-2010 at 11:41 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #104
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:

Howdy dagwood,

Yes a small benchtop would be just perfect for my needs, I would like to have at least 18" bed length but anything up to 36" would fit into my garage. Anything larger then 36" bed length would just take up to much room, I have so much junk scattered around now I can hardly walk from one end of the garage to the other.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #105
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 18,724
This is one of the coolest threads I've seen in a long time. I've got a 14-40 gear head lathe (Chinese import), a smaller gear head mill with 24x9x5 of travel (x, y, z also Chinese import), a 7 x 12 Wilton horizontal band saw and a nice Miller 200 DX AC/DC Tig/Stick welder plus some Oxy Acetylene stuff and various other tooling. I need a good sheet metal brake, shear and roller and I think I’m set to do nearly everything. I don't know how to use any of it very well but I'm learning very slowly. I’m also learning that everything I own is to small to do anything of any significance. You guys who do this every day are some lucky fuckers. Then again the grass always seems greener just past the monitor where the compiler errors are screaming at me to be addressed…
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: