User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,488
Guzzi Lemans cyls on a T3

I need a set of jugs for my T3 project, and there is a set of 850 Lemans I cylinders and pistons on ebay right now. Would these work on my T3? I seem to remember that lemans had iron liners, instead of chrome or nikasil, is that right? I don't think I'd be willing to go too high on the bid on these, but I like the idea of iron liners instead of plated, and it is a lot cheaper than new Gilardonis. Thanks for any input.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
mtiberio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
cylinders yes, pistons no...
iron yes.
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

What's wrong with the pistons? Are they domed too much for the T3 heads or something?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Yup. Lemans pistons need Lemans heads.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
F_Sahms
mostly paved

Oddometer: 334
And because the Le Mans cylinders are iron, your existing T3 pistons (or any OEM T3 pistons) may not have the correct clearance as they were sized for chrome-plated cylinders.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

Thanks everybody. I'm glad I asked. It seems that all roads point to coughing up $750 on a set of Gilardonis.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Nick in PRC.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
There is a set of perfect low mile chrome bore cylinders, matching pistons and pins on fleabay right now...........Moto Guzzi Classics are selling them and the description will match the condition. Guzzi-renew is their store.

Edit..........gone already........blink and you'll miss the good stuff.

Chang chat: http://cj750.forumcircle.com
Nick in PRC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
If the e-Bay cylinders are real cheap, might be worth a try.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in PRC. View Post
There is a set of perfect low mile chrome bore cylinders, matching pistons and pins on fleabay right now...........Moto Guzzi Classics are selling them and the description will match the condition. Guzzi-renew is their store.

Edit..........gone already........blink and you'll miss the good stuff.
I saw that listing, and could see at the top of the cylinders that there was a notable flaw in the chrome. I almost flagged them for it, but didn't feel like bothering. Also, I can easily see how an old chrome bore cylinder could flake after being dormant for a long time and then going back into service. They are 40 f-ing years old, and they no longer owe anybody anything at this point. I'm scared of them!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Thanks everybody. I'm glad I asked. It seems that all roads point to coughing up $750 on a set of Gilardonis.
How are your pistons? If they are within the specs published in the Guzzi manual and you want to save a few $$, have the original cylinders replated in Nikasil by a company such as Millennium Technologies. Cost is approx. $209 ea. New rings, gaskets, o-rings and piston pin circlips are maybe another $150.
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Nick in PRC.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
I saw that listing, and could see at the top of the cylinders that there was a notable flaw in the chrome. I almost flagged them for it, but didn't feel like bothering. Also, I can easily see how an old chrome bore cylinder could flake after being dormant for a long time and then going back into service. They are 40 f-ing years old, and they no longer owe anybody anything at this point. I'm scared of them!
No flaking.........I've seen them......they were perfect. Mark always guarantees his stuff anyway.

Chang chat: http://cj750.forumcircle.com
Nick in PRC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in PRC. View Post
No flaking.........I've seen them......they were perfect. Mark always guarantees his stuff anyway.
Back in '04 a friend bought a pair of NOS Eldo cylinders with pistons from a former dealer selling off all of his leftovers at VMD @ Mid-Ohio. They too looked "perfect". About 10k miles later they were flaking just as bad as any other set I've seen. $400 down the drain. He bought Gilardonis and chalked it up to "live and learn".
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
F_Sahms
mostly paved

Oddometer: 334
Another option if you have good pistons is to have a set of flaking cylinders nicasil plated to fit. It's about $400 for two.

F_Sahms screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 08:51 PM
F_Sahms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
I need a set of jugs for my T3 project, and there is a set of 850 Lemans I cylinders and pistons on ebay right now. Would these work on my T3? I seem to remember that lemans had iron liners, instead of chrome or nikasil, is that right? I don't think I'd be willing to go too high on the bid on these, but I like the idea of iron liners instead of plated, and it is a lot cheaper than new Gilardonis. Thanks for any input.

Do you need them because you don't have any or because the ones you have are damaged?

Plated cylinders can be re-plated a lot cheaper than buying new, Fitting new liners isn't too expensive either if you have iron liners.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
Do you need them because you don't have any or because the ones you have are damaged?

Plated cylinders can be re-plated a lot cheaper than buying new, Fitting new liners isn't too expensive either if you have iron liners.
I have two sets of totally shitty chrome bores. I also have one set of pretty good chrome bores, which I thought I was going to use, but under intense scrutiny, I found I shouldn't. I also have a set of iron bore 88mm cylinders, which would need to be bored, as would my cases to make them fit. I have two sets of pistons for the 83mm jugs. One set is ugly, the other is marginally useable.

The way I see it, If I had one of my sets of chrome bores replated , that alone would be like $420, new rings and clips would be about $150, which comes to $570, which isn't even $200 less than all brand new parts. I'm generally about as tight as a coat of paint, but I don't want to fuck up and regret this, so I think I'm just going to do it.

If these lemans jugs in question would have worked on this T3, that would be different to me, as a failure in these parts would only mean some piston slap, and some oil burning tendencies. Using old chrome bores just seems crazy to me, the more I think of it.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.