Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #136
hdscarbro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
My SRX600 developed the same revving behavior shortly before I dismantled it for an engine overhaul (valve guide seals, 1st oversize piston, rod, bearings, etc). I was planning to worry about it when the bike is together again if the overhaul didn't help (probably wishful thinking on my thought). Your post got me wondering about the revving problem again, so I did some searching and found this post which might explain it.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #137
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Mine still has those same symptoms but to a lesser degree. Takes for ever to warm up, won't take throttle until fully warm etc.

5 turns on mix screw? Seems like a lot? My mix screw seems to have little to no effect, I suspect that circuit might be clogged so I'm considering an ultrasonic cleaning. Something to consider....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn88 View Post
Hey guys I rebuilt the carb again wi a new float. I put the bike back together with the mixture screw 5 turns out. Now it's runs better, not great, takes awhile to warm up. Will finally run with the choke off, just with a stumble right off idle. If you open the throttle too fast the bike still die out. It a.is at least rideable now
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #138
Brooklyn88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thanks guys. Yes, the pilot screw doesn't seem to have much effect past 2 or 3 turns. I blasted out all of the passages in the carb though, they all seemed clear... In any case, I am pretty sure I am going to drop it off at a shop and have them figure it out. Riding season is starting!
Brooklyn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #139
hdscarbro
Adventurer

I've had good luck cleaning my carburetors with an overnight soak in Yamaha Carb Cleaner/Dip. Be warned, it will soften (ruin) any o-rings that are left in it overnight. It's truly uniquely nasty smelling stuff.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #140
Brooklyn88
Adventurer

Hey guys, update I got the SRX back from the shop. They rebuilt the carbs (again) and set all of the adjustments. One thing I noticed is they set the secondary to open very late. The bike runs better and is actually ride-able. There is still a stumble off idle even after the bike is warmed up. I am not really sure what is causing this. But I am happy to finally be riding.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #141
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Good news Brooklyn ......... I think?

Sounds like the late opening on the secondary might be compensating for the real problem though? Did they do an ultrasonic cleaning on the carbs?

I'm assuming you mean they open late compared to spec, right?

Anyway, glad you're riding
KLR650
Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #142
Brooklyn88
Adventurer

Yeah, the secondary adjustment screw is almost all of the way out. The shop is highly rated, however I am not sure the method they used to rebuild the carb. It is still not perfect, but I am not sure what else can be done.

Anyway, still a blast to ride. Could use a little more power ;)

Brooklyn88 screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 11:08 AM
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #143
Sir Blue Henry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Hi. Not sure if i missed it having a quick readthrough, but would like to know where you got the fron fairing and screen. Did you get it with the bike or obtain it new afterwards?
I want to start a similar project and would like to get the fairing if it scheap enough?
Cheers
Sir Blue Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #144
hdscarbro
Adventurer

The faring and screen were factory partrs.

I updated the windscreen instructions recently. The updated version is now a proper document and can be found here.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #145
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Blue Henry View Post
Hi. Not sure if i missed it having a quick readthrough, but would like to know where you got the fron fairing and screen. Did you get it with the bike or obtain it new afterwards?
I want to start a similar project and would like to get the fairing if it scheap enough?
Cheers

As mentioned, US market got the fairing stock. They pop up on ebay every now and then. I'll be watching your thread Sir Blue!

Not much new to report on the 250, she's been riding it and it's been reliable, can't ask for much more!

Time for a new project though, I recently picked this up.....

Not sure what direction I'll go with it, maybe a rat-scrambler sorta thing? RD tank and spoked wheels are in it's future though.....

KLR650
Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #146
hdscarbro
Adventurer

Hi Fleshpiston,

I think we're hearing the same siren. Here's my new project:

And another photo after replacing the rusty exhaust system with a Gary Hoos header and Harley muffler:

I've been thinking about wire wheels too. I have a set of R6 blue dot calipers and a second rotor for the front wheel. Don't know what I'm going to do yet for the seat and tank.

Perhaps it's time to start a SR500 thread here at advrider. FYI, sr500forum.com has lots of good info.

hdscarbro screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 06:40 PM
hdscarbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #147
hdscarbro
Adventurer

I forgot about this yesterday. Airtech sells both a half and a full fairing that'll fit the SRX250. If I I'm reading the price list correctly, the full faring is $318.14. Here's a pointer:

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaz/86srx25.htm

hdscarbro screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 08:40 AM
hdscarbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #148
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdscarbro View Post
Hi Fleshpiston,

I think we're hearing the same siren. Here's my new project:

I've been thinking about wire wheels too. I have a set of R6 blue dot calipers and a second rotor for the front wheel. Don't know what I'm going to do yet for the seat and tank.

Perhaps it's time to start a SR500 thread here at advrider. FYI, sr500forum.com has lots of good info.

Nice! Yep, I think I'd feel right at home in your garage.

I was running an XS650 wheel with FZR discs and Grimeca calipers on my old one. The whole set-up weighed the same as the stock single caliper/disc.

KLR650
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #149
edray
cascadian

Oddometer: 223
like minds..

hey lads, funny how like minded folks are on this forum, in terms of thumpin street singles, seems like thumpers over ther are more dirt oriented..sigh..
anywhoo, love the SR, SRX stuff.. I posted a while ago about my stock SRX givin my right leg grief, so been slowwwly movin on my electric start 86 SRX hybrid..here's where i'm at right now..got the electric srt. engine in, pretty straight forward, no build pix tho. now doin the seat redo that fleshpiston showed me the way on..but now have trimmed it shorter..annnnd don't like it so much. too big.damn. so gonna do a little mini bum stop aluminum seat, hide the battery,etc there. plus triangular oil tank fab where side panels used to go(over at house o fubars). gotta move oiltank, stock location gets taken over by starter motor.. loads to do..hope to complete by spring, welll, april.
sorry to hijack..
edray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #150
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Lookin good Ed! I was wondering how your bike was coming along. So no go on the seat, eh? Can't wait to see what fubar comes up with for the oil tank
KLR650