ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #46
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer
 
fleshpiston's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: minneapolis
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipseyR
Sweet Mary and Joseph ....it RUNS!!!
hey, couldn't have done it without ya my friend! Thanks again for picking it up



Yes, it runs.....but not well. There is a stumble right off idle that clears @ 3K rpm when the secondary carb kicks in. Hopefully the new jets/o-rings will be in the mailbox today and hopefully they'll cure it.
__________________
SRX600
SRX250
SR500
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #47
Tbone
off-ramp slayer
 
Tbone's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 4,250
Great seeing you getting her back on the road ! Nice job!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #48
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer
 
fleshpiston's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: minneapolis
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone
Great seeing you getting her back on the road ! Nice job!
Thanks..... unfortunately it's only been back on the driveway.

I've been fighting with stuck pistons in the brake calipers.

At this point I'm about to




I have the original caliper, a cheap ebay one in even worse shape, an old one from the 600 that leaked and would never bleed right, and finally one from an FZ.









both right side pistons are siezed in the stock calipers. I was able get one to budge a few mm after applying heat but that's it. Very frustrating.









I have the 600 one on there now but can't get the damn thing to bleed!



Sigh. So close too. This whole brake fiasco is about all that's keeping it off the road right now.

I need a beer.


Or ten
__________________
SRX600
SRX250
SR500
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #49
Knute Dunrvnyet
marooned in realtime
 
Knute Dunrvnyet's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: CNY: "Traveler's Rest"
Oddometer: 1,916
nice motorbike!
__________________
"I used to be an adventurer like you; then I took an arrow to the heart."
[advwhiner since 1973]]
"Ride Hard, You can Rest when you Die."- Emmett Watkins, #245, 1958-2005
Knute Dunrvnyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #50
Skowinski
Chordate
 
Skowinski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mojave Desert
Oddometer: 4,964
That is cool! I bought one of those a few years ago for some friends in another city. They were looking for one, and it turned up where I live. Paid $1000 for it, was in pretty good shape. Never had seen or heard of the SRX250 until then.

Good job on the restoration!
__________________

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu


In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #51
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou
 
Highside>Lowside's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: ChiTown
Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston
Thanks..... unfortunately it's only been back on the driveway.

I've been fighting with stuck pistons in the brake calipers.

At this point I'm about to




I have the original caliper, a cheap ebay one in even worse shape, an old one from the 600 that leaked and would never bleed right, and finally one from an FZ.









both right side pistons are siezed in the stock calipers. I was able get one to budge a few mm after applying heat but that's it. Very frustrating.









I have the 600 one on there now but can't get the damn thing to bleed!



Sigh. So close too. This whole brake fiasco is about all that's keeping it off the road right now.

I need a beer.


Or ten
Upgrade. Toss all that old crap in the bin, and run a complete late model setup. Cheaper, easier to get parts for, and Yamaha's brakes were pretty dismal even when new back in the 80's.

Nice build; I love the old street thumpers, and Yamaha's styling in the late 70's-mid 80's/
__________________
00 M944,95 620RXC,82 FT500,85 V65 Sabre,01 1150GS,82 XJ650r,91 XV920r,82 V50 Monza,77 TT500, R75/6, etc...
Highside>Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #52
muddywater
Studly Adventurer
 
muddywater's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: East TN
Oddometer: 636
I saw one of these on a board at work about a month ago for $1200. 900 miles, garage kept, etc....

Called the number, then procrastinated for a couple of days then went to look, as the smiling new owner was test riding it around the block. Near perfect, even had the bellypan. Was owned by an OCD retired aircraft mechanic.

This thread makes my stomach hurt.

NICE JOB you are doing.
__________________
08 KLR, 02 620Monster
muddywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #53
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer
 
fleshpiston's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: minneapolis
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater
I saw one of these on a board at work about a month ago for $1200. 900 miles, garage kept, etc....

Called the number, then procrastinated for a couple of days then went to look, as the smiling new owner was test riding it around the block. Near perfect, even had the bellypan. Was owned by an OCD retired aircraft mechanic.

This thread makes my stomach hurt.

NICE JOB you are doing.

Oh man, that sucks. 900 miles maybe next time
__________________
SRX600
SRX250
SR500
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #54
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer
 
fleshpiston's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: minneapolis
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside>Lowside
Upgrade. Toss all that old crap in the bin, and run a complete late model setup. Cheaper, easier to get parts for, and Yamaha's brakes were pretty dismal even when new back in the 80's.

I'd love to do an R6/R1 caliper, but I've missed so many deadlines already if she isn't able to ride this before the the snow flies there will be hell to pay
__________________
SRX600
SRX250
SR500
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #55
Kismet
vagrant philosopher
 
Kismet's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: rural WI
Oddometer: 387
I suppose your wife is adamant about being able to stop as well as ride?





pickypickypicky
__________________
Kis
enjoy every sandwich

'75 R90/6
'78 R100/7, well really, R80/7
'87 Radian/fj600
'81 C70--IT'S ALIVE !!!!
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #56
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer
 
fleshpiston's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: minneapolis
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet
I suppose your wife is adamant about being able to stop as well as ride?





pickypickypicky

yep, next thing ya know she's going to want turn signals and lights and all that safety crap







I wheeled the 600 out today from some gratuitous pics......

























__________________
SRX600
SRX250
SR500
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #57
ctune80
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ctune80's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 234
Nice bikes! Is that a SecaII fairing on the 600? What seat tail are you running?

I have a SRX6 too, mine is mostly stock though. I really like the look of yours!
ctune80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #58
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer
 
fleshpiston's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: minneapolis
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctune80
Nice bikes! Is that a SecaII fairing on the 600? What seat tail are you running?

I have a SRX6 too, mine is mostly stock though. I really like the look of yours!

Thanks, the fairing is a Suzuki RGV250 with FZR headlight and the tail is an RZ350 piece with the lower half cut off and narrowed in the front
__________________
SRX600
SRX250
SR500
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #59
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer
 
fleshpiston's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: minneapolis
Oddometer: 570
first ride!!!

Well last Sunday was her first ride on it....and she loved it. A perfect fit!


The bike looks normal size with her next to it......









I was stung by a bee right before we were supposed to leave (the last one got me a trip to the ER) so it was decided I stay behind to jab myself with Epi-Pens if needed.

Needless to say I was a bit apprehensive about her going out solo after not riding for 2 years and on an unproven bike too.

So I'm giving her the run-down....."ok, so 1 down 5 up....watch for gravel in the corners, if you hear any wierd noises pull over and call, cancel your turn signals, check for leaks after a few miles.......are you listening?"


ummm....no, she was talking to the neighbor









ready....

set....









and off she goes....









she was back in 20 minutes saying the speedometer didn't work "ummm, yes dear...remember I told you that?"


Later in the day I was able to get out for a short ride with her, I had to take some armor out of my jacket because of the swelling but it was worth it.







still lots of little things to do, mostly cosmetic, but I'd say it was a pretty good maiden voyage....nothing leaked or fell off!
__________________
SRX600
SRX250
SR500
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:23 AM   #60
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer
 
fleshpiston's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: minneapolis
Oddometer: 570
Well UPS dropped this off yesterday.......















I had been low bidding on several no-reserve dirt bike exhausts and finally got one.




Over the winter I'll be getting rid of the collector box in the exhaust and adapting this pipe to fit. I'm no welder but I think I have some help lined up to make it all happen.




A bit larger than I would have liked, but not too bad eh?




__________________
SRX600
SRX250
SR500
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014