Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #91
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
I would say it looks new, but it looks better than that! Very clean, the subtle changes make it look very custom, yet stock at the same time...... Sorry, I don't even quite know what that means. I just know I like it!!!!
Old 12-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #92
hdscarbro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hi,

Did you ever find a US source for 90/90-16 tires? I'm the new owner of an SRX250, mine also came with a 100/90-16 tire on the front. My bike has been setting for at least 3 years and the current tires are really dry and hard.

I've done a lot of searching and found several foreign sources for tires that fit. The best choice I've found is the Michelin Pilot Sporty. It is available for both the front (90/90-16) and rear (100/90-18) tire. For some reason, I don't think this tire is sold in either the US or Canada. I haven't ordered a set yet, but here's a pointer to the place I'm thinking of ordering from:

http://www.vsmotoparts.com/catalogse...q=pilot+sporty

I also found an outfit in Japan that has a lot of SRX250 stuff. A lot more expensive though: http://japan.webike.net/
hdscarbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #93
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdscarbro View Post

Did you ever find a US source for 90/90-16 tires? I'm the new owner of an SRX250

Congrats on the bike The closest thing I've found is a 90/80 Shinko

http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-sr7...LAID=338726267

I'm still looking for a couple parts that are now "obsolete" according to Yamaha.

-The rubber intake boot between airbox and carb
-Internal "washer" in the petcock (the one with 4 holes)

If you ever run across these parts please let me know!
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #94
hdscarbro
Adventurer

I'm probably going to need one of those petcock washers before long too. Mine was leaking badly until it spent a few days "rehydrating" in gasoline.

Googling the part number (47X-24523-00-00) for the gasket, I discovered there's are several other bikes that used the same part. The 1984-85 FJ1100 is one of them. Also found a pointer to this website in the UK which sells a rebuild kit for the FJ1100 petcock.
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.a...Tap-Repair-Kit
Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #95
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the info hdscarbro ..... unfortunately the FJ part # is also listed as obsolete.

I'll have to see what shipping from UK will be.

A pic of the part (not mine)

KLR650
Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #96
Brooklyn88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey guys, I also just bought an SRX 250. It also needs new tires, I think I am going to order some of the "Pilot Sportys" from the link posted above in a few weeks, I'll let you guys know how they work out.

Also, there is an issue with the carb. The bike starts harder in the cold, and runs poorly unless it is completely warmed up.(dies when rev'd quickly, and rev's fall slowly) The PO claimed the diaphragm in the secandary was damaged. Would this cause this?

Thanks!
Brooklyn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #97
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn88 View Post

Also, there is an issue with the carb. The bike starts harder in the cold, and runs poorly unless it is completely warmed up.(dies when rev'd quickly, and rev's fall slowly) The PO claimed the diaphragm in the secandary was damaged. Would this cause this?

Thanks!
Congrats on the bike!

Even with carbs in good shape they're still jetted very lean. I'm running an XT350 pilot jet which helps, but it still needs a long warm up. Check your boots for cracking/hardness, both on engine side and airbox side.

Not sure if the diaphragm is the culprit but it can't help.
KLR650
Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #98
hdscarbro
Adventurer

I tried to order a set of Pilot Sportys from vsmotoparts. When I got to the checkout was told they didn't handle US shipments. This was not the case the first time I went through the checkout process to get a total price.

I found another source (http://www.tyretectrading.com/store/home.asp and ordered a set from them on Tuesday. The total with shipping wound up being $225.33. I'll post a followup when they arrive.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #99
hdscarbro
Adventurer

The idle mixture adjustment screw can this cold engine idling behavior. According to my Yamaha dealer cousin, the screw is set really lean to pass emissions and an extra 1/2 turn (or so) out helps.

The idle mixture screw is hidden behind a brass plug that has to be removed before you can diddle with the mixture screw.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #100
hdscarbro
Adventurer

My tires from Tyre Tec Trading arrived yesterday. Here are some photos.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #101
hdscarbro
Adventurer

Regarding the fuel petcock, just saw this post in another forum:

http://www.sr500forum.com/forum/view...hp?f=43&t=6708
Old 01-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #102
Brooklyn88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Nice, the tires look really good! I think I will order a set. Do these tires need tubes also?

Thanks!
Brooklyn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #103
hdscarbro
Adventurer

The tires are tubeless. I swapped the front tire, but couldn't get it to inflate with my home compressor. I wound up taking it and the rear wheel (and new tire) to a shop. The guy said the narrow rims coupled with their profile made them tough to inflate.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #104
istronglydislikeants
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Talking

I've looked around the site and didn't find an "intro" thread or subforum, so I guess this is my introduction!

Picked up an 87 SRX the other day, first street bike (kinda, have an 81 sr250 that needs a carb clean and front tire), looking forward to getting it into top condition. This thread has been really helpful to me, I will be ordering some of those Michelins ASAP. Also my bike came with all the plastics in good condition

Should I start my own thread in this forum? I guess I probably will.

Bryan
istronglydislikeants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #105
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by istronglydislikeants View Post
I've looked around the site and didn't find an "intro" thread or subforum, so I guess this is my introduction!

Picked up an 87 SRX the other day, first street bike (kinda, have an 81 sr250 that needs a carb clean and front tire), looking forward to getting it into top condition. This thread has been really helpful to me, I will be ordering some of those Michelins ASAP. Also my bike came with all the plastics in good condition

Should I start my own thread in this forum? I guess I probably will.

Bryan

Welcome Bryan! Congrats on the bike, lets see some pics!

KLR650