Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #121
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn88 View Post
Hey all, I ordered new carb boots & one of the boots has a vacuum line connection on it. What is this for?

It goes to the vacuum diaphragm on the petcock. I just capped it and converted the petcock to non-vacuum. One less potential problem.

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #122
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

I just wanted to thank hdscarbro for providing me with a source for the discontinued airbox-to-carb boots I was looking for.

I'll post the link here since it looks like they buy up and stock NOS parts. It might help others trying to keep these rare bikes on the road.

http://216.168.60.165/speedandsportinc/index.tpl

Thanks again hdscarbro!

KLR650
Old 03-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #123
hdscarbro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I've been thinking about making new petcock gaskets (and other rubber parts) by casting them from urethane rubber. From what I've read urethane has good resistance to gasoline but is not very heat tolerant. I haven't been able to find any web descriptions where anyone else has tried this. WDYT?

Here's the material I was thinking of trying. There's a smooth-on distributor not too far from me, I'm going to try to swing by there later this week to see what they say.
hdscarbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #124
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdscarbro View Post
I've been thinking about making new petcock gaskets (and other rubber parts) by casting them from urethane rubber. From what I've read urethane has good resistance to gasoline but is not very heat tolerant. I haven't been able to find any web descriptions where anyone else has tried this. WDYT?

Here's the material I was thinking of trying. There's a smooth-on distributor not too far from me, I'm going to try to swing by there later this week to see what they say.

Go for it, I'll take one of those petcock gaskets.

Oh, and a windscreen too.

KLR650
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #125
Brooklyn88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
I just wanted to thank hdscarbro for providing me with a source for the discontinued airbox-to-carb boots I was looking for.

I'll post the link here since it looks like they buy up and stock NOS parts. It might help others trying to keep these rare bikes on the road.

http://216.168.60.165/speedandsportinc/index.tpl

Thanks again hdscarbro!

Update- I tried to order a set and they are out for good. They just had the one set left...
Brooklyn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #126
fleshpiston OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn88 View Post
Update- I tried to order a set and they are out for good. They just had the one set left...

Sorry man.

One of my old ones is still in pretty good shape if you want it.

KLR650
Old 04-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #127
Brooklyn88
Adventurer

Hey guys, I am at my wits end with this bike...I rebuilt the carb again, replaced the intake boots, rubber diaphragms, air filter, petcock. Still runs very poorly when cold and will only rev with the choke on when warm. The jets are all clear.

My only thought is maybe the previous owner messed with the timing? Any other thoughts maybe I am missing something?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #128
hdscarbro
Adventurer

Right after I got it, my SRX600 was doing a similar thing. I hadn't got all of the crud out of the idle jet. You should be able to see through the idle jet when it out of the carburetor. Mine took an overnight soak in carb cleaner to clean out.

Also the idle mixture screw should be out about 3.5 turns (maybe more).

I don't think there is any ignition timing to adjust. If the head has been off, perhaps the timing chain is off by a tooth. Can't say from first hand experience, but I've read of similar behavior from this.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #129
Brooklyn88
Adventurer

The idle jet is brand new, so I should be good there. Maybe I have to soak the carb overnight anyway. The head has been opened before, the previous owner was a BMW mechanic and he said it "looked OK"....

My idle mixture screw is out 2.5 turns right now.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #130
hdscarbro
Adventurer

I had the idle mixture screw out at 2.5 turns and was having trouble getting the bike to start when warm without the enrichener. It would idle OK though. Last week, I got a short stubby screw driver and player with the mixture adjustment while the bike was running. Mine definitely started better with the screw further out.

The service manual should describe how to set/check the cam timing. If you don't access to the manual, let me know and I'll send you copies of the appropriate pages from mine.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #131
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
tight exhaust valve will cause it to act lean on idle too. Check the valve spec if you have not done it already.
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #132
hdscarbro
Adventurer

I soaked a couple of different samples of urethane rubber from Smooth-On in gasoline for several days. The gas softened and expanded the samples quiet a bit. So, I don't think this urethane can be used for petcock gaskets.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #133
hdscarbro
Adventurer

I made a petcock gasket from my SRX250 which seems to work well. With the fuel line removed from my carb, there was a steady dribble of gasoline with the old Yamaha gasket. No dribble with the new homemade gasket. Here's a photo and brief description of the new gasket.

The softer rubber seems to work well. If it proves to be too soft over time firmer rubber sheeting is available. Here's the material that I used.

If you'd like to try one of these gaskets, contact me by private message.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #134
Brooklyn88
Adventurer

Hey guys I rebuilt the carb again wi a new float. I put the bike back together with the mixture screw 5 turns out. Now it's runs better, not great, takes awhile to warm up. Will finally run with the choke off, just with a stumble right off idle. If you open the throttle too fast the bike still die out. It a.is at least rideable now
Old 05-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #135
Brooklyn88
Adventurer

Update: After riding it around for 20 minutes, it does still run erratically. Once it warms up, the idle is not stable, it bogs right off idle, and the rpms drop slowly after reving. It also runs hot I think, I have taken a pic of the spark plug after the ride: