Great Ride Report, Thanks for sharing!
Asphalt Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #137
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife
Great report as it does bring back some interesting honda riding memories.

That being said; for all the riders making comments about the good ole days, on their old bikes, wake the Frig Up!

I am very happy to ride farkled out MC's with uber suspension and heated grips blah blah blah; vice my old 400 twin that used to send such a servere buzz through the bars and up my arms that it would eventually cause temporary brain failure after just a few hours of spirited riding. Dam!

Thanks again for the great report, and do include some Laverda Pics as it sounds like a step up the evolutionary chain away from Brain Damaging rice rockets.
I remember when I was still very young, maybe 16?, I got it in my head that I had to ride across a state line. So one day I slipped off and headed for Alabama on my 1974 Honda CB360. Man that was a long ride. That thing nearly vibrated me to protoplasm. I'm sure the Honda fours had to be much better. Anyway, I didn't try any more long rides on that bike.
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #138
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000jeremy
2 questions:

can you give me some info on your windshield? (on the 550)
what kind of camera did you use? the audio on the videos is surprisingly good...

great report, Im mulling over a few trips on my 77 550f for the spring...
sorry this took so long to get back to...

screen is a Road Shield by National Cycle. Would have been miserable without it in New Mexico. It's 15", I wish it was 17" though

the camera and video are seperate. All the video is a Kodak zi6. They have a new zi8 that's even better. I wish I had taken more video.

I saw your post on chris' report, it'd be a disappointing if he and I never met up. Keep chipping away at your 550, it'd be great to do a ride as a small group sometime.
kerncountykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #139
000jeremy
1st gear

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerncountykid
sorry this took so long to get back to...

screen is a Road Shield by National Cycle. Would have been miserable without it in New Mexico. It's 15", I wish it was 17" though

the camera and video are seperate. All the video is a Kodak zi6. They have a new zi8 that's even better. I wish I had taken more video.

I saw your post on chris' report, it'd be a disappointing if he and I never met up. Keep chipping away at your 550, it'd be great to do a ride as a small group sometime.
Finally got her back together a week ago. Carbs rebuilt and synch'd, new elec. ignition, all the good stuff and for the first time for me. Im growing more and more confident in my work every day. Im finally unemployed so there will be some rad rides in my near future! Thanks again for the tips.
000jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #140
Skidding650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Fun RR. I had a 79 Honda CBX. Man that thing could go in a straight line but couldn't corner worth a shit. I still miss it.
Skidding650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #141
SVPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Really enjoyed this, just AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
SVPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #142
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerncountykid
Hey guys, this is my first post. Wanted to submit a tour report about my ride!

My name is Trevor Ware and this is my 1974 Honda CB550K. I built this bike from the frame up and lived on it for 32 days and 5,536 miles across the American mid-West.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0g-j4K9_D4
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #143
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by donny662
What's with all the ride reports featuring kids riding vintage Hondas? Anyway, keep it coming
the staying power of the 70's Honda's is in my opinion the tip of the iceberg of collectble motorcycles for those who grew up in the 60's/70's.

my recollection of Honda is that of a mostly second class citizen of the day as big 2 stroke Kawasaki's and Z1's and even smaller Yamaha's were the "real" bikes. Honda's were for geeks.

30 years later from my perspective the 70's Honda's are head and shoulders above most of the other big 4 bikes. they're plentiful, still look good stock (really good IMO) and have stood the test of time. I really like the 550 fours and would pounce on one should a nice one ever come within my cross hairs. I have no desire for a 750 but those 550's really float my boat.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #144
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944

Don't leave us hangin!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #145
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,036
Yup, this is why I like being an ADV inmate, great stuff!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #146
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,424
This was a great ride report! I probably passed you at some point; I was doing a southwest circle on my GL500 (basically the touring version of the CX) at about the same time. Looking at your pics makes me want to go again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #147
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
+1 on the "Moar!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp
This was a great ride report! I probably passed you at some point; I was doing a southwest circle on my GL500 (basically the touring version of the CX) at about the same time. Looking at your pics makes me want to go again.
Do It!

You really should Do It.

(Hi Sarah)

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:03 AM   #148
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I may have written a paper on Yosemite in school. I don't remember, if I did it doesn't matter. Until you visit this place you won't believe it really exists. Everywhere your eye falls there is some spectacle of nature. El Capitan rises thousands of feet above the valley floor, sheer and absolutely unforgiving of weakness of grip or character. Sharing in the same field of vision is Bridalveil Fall. Justin and I walk the short trail and stand below it, trying to sniff out the weak mist floating down. We wonder if we had missed Half Dome, which we know only by name. Of course if we had known it by sight we would have realized how unmissable it was. I feel humbled when the tightly shaded park road opens up and the full spectacle of the valley floor becomes visable. I dare any man to improve upon a square inch of any of it.

We climbed and sat on a hillside just beyond the park boundry. I had a lot to think about. At that strange moment Justin and I were united in reaching the halfway point of our trips. Every mile onward was a subtraction that brought us nearer our respective homes. It was the first time I was confronted by the thought in weeks; at some point I had to go home. The realization was fleeting and the edge of the Sierra Nevada range gave way to the familiar monotone golden, rolling hills. My always thirsty fuel tank stopped us just outside of Madera. While I topped off the tank we struck up a conversation with Fred. The archetypal surfer dude, he warned us we had missed the A+ muff in Santa Cruz and had better go back. He gave us some weed and sent us on our way. Navigating the unfriendly streets of Fresno later that night reminded me why I couldn't live in California. As I drifted away on a rare hotel matress I dreamed of the gorgeous women of Santa Cruz.

kerncountykid screwed with this post 03-24-2010 at 02:13 AM
kerncountykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:57 AM   #149
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,424
I was also in amazement when I rolled into Yosemite in the summer of 07. It fast became one of my 5 most likely places to return to. Keep it coming and enjoy the trip to the last mile. ;-)

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #150
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,302
Jezzz....i am so jeolous !!!!!!!!!