Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
What's with all the ride reports featuring kids riding vintage Hondas? Anyway, keep it coming

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,353
Subscribed!

What's great about a ride like this is how hard your gonna laugh 10 years from now telling some younger guys about your first trip.

BTW--if 200 or 300 of us would like to send e-mails to Honda of Tulsa telling them how much we appreciate their treatment of a couple of young FF's far from home adventure riding on classic Hondas, their e-mail address is-- info@hondaoftulsa.com

DRONE screwed with this post 11-23-2009 at 09:46 PM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #18
NevadaTex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Now, that's entertainment

Damn...that reminds me of when I first started touring on a motorcycle. Just the basics for equipment and a whole lotta learning as you go. I hope you enjoy this trip...the first one is always the best!

Continue onwards!

btw...my first trip was on a '78 CX500 (so your ride report immediately grabbed my attention) What a top heavy beast. On that trip I rode from Austin to Big Bend Nat'l Park and back over the course of a week. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, screwed up in all sorts of unimagineable ways and enjoyed every frickin' minute of the trip. It sounds like you guys are working off the same script.

1985 BMW R80
2005 F650 Dakar
NevadaTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #19
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 832
Like GB said, riding vintage bikes has its own price...But it totally seems to me that you have control over it so its going to be a great RR.
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #20
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
hey kid! I love your words man! Too hip! Stay safe. I am really enjoying this one...

benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 AM   #21
tripletom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Good start to a bad morning! Keep it coming.
tripletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #22
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Good stuff................

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 AM   #23
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by donny662
What's with all the ride reports featuring kids riding vintage Hondas? Anyway, keep it coming
That's because we young kids know what rooooooooooooocks

(Btw. I am riding (at the moment more renovating) a Laverda)

Cheers,
Greg - one of those young kids...
nanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #24
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
It was broad daylight when I finally stumbled out of the tent, bleary eyed and ready to ride. Around the corner a fat red guy, dibetes-in-coveralls, was passed out in a lawn chair waiting for some mutant fish to bring him back from the razor's edge of coma.

Today was a big day for me. I don't know for sure what Jordan's Mecca was on this trip, but mine was Monument Valley. I knew that months before we kicked the doors down out of Little Rock. If you don't know Monument Valley by name you've seen the pictures. Towering red stone, a science lesson come to life. If you ever had trouble imagining the earth moving with any kind of haste or violence, this place will make it real for you. First though we sped West through Shiprock, a tasty little preview, heat blurred and strange. It's located on land owned by a Christian Revivalist church I think and we got no closer than this. The fine white to blue gradient crowded out any clouds that may have kept the sun off our shoulders.

Arizona! Years ago, on my first i-40 solo trip in a car, I got a speeding citation that went unpaid and am mildly concerned that I may have a warrant for my arrest in this state.

After climbing to a slightly cooler elevation we stopped in Teec Nos Pos, Arizona's most North-East town, for gas. A cop passed and gave me a tripple take, then whipped his patrol car into the gas station. I couldn't believe it, I was about to get pinched at our first stop in the state. Instead he rolled down the window, guessed the year of my bike correctly, and told me about being a Honda mechanic for 11 years. We talked shop for a while and he wished us luck on our way. Kept my ass out of the clink for one more day!
kerncountykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #25
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We backtracked up highway 160 towards Four Corners, where Americas states with the most liberal marrige laws rub up against each other. The actual 'point' was fenced in and required an odd 3$. This was close enough.

We crossed into Colorodo and over the San Juan river. It's only a few miles before connecting with highway 41 and crossing right back over the border, this time ending up in Utah, where 41 turns into 162. This little stretch felt very isolated and undeveloped considering the tourist traffic that must come through here in the summer.

Feeling sheepish... corny!

I think this town was called Bluff. They've got some serious stuff going on here. The cliff's were super badass. This is all very exciting for a hillbilly from Arkansas.

In Bluff we were also treated to this natural wonder, Twin Rocks. Raise your hand if you think this looks like, quoting Jordan, "Two penises fighting".

Had the land North-East of Monument Valley been just an inch closer Utah surely would have integrated it into the park. The hills spread wide then crumple in on themselves, each layer a whole other shade of red, brown and orange. Mexican Hat holds steady in the wind swept hills, which is astonishing considering our human nature as vandals. I swear you could push it over with a childs effort.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #26
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Outside of Mexican Hat we crossed over the San Juan River for the second time. I stopped to straighten myself up and threatened Jordan with death if he didn't get some good shots of me in Monument Valley. The sun hung midway up the sky, weak from beating back the cold that was eager to settle in for the Winter months. The air was dry and just barely luke warm, which is perfect motorcycle riding weather.

Exiting Monument Valley we mazed over the hard land along numerous state highways, taking the back roads into Page, AZ. This is home to the Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell, neither of which were planned destinations. Zion National Park and Las Vegas were officially marked off the itinerary, as we decided Vegas no longer 'vibed' with the way our trip was unfolding. Decending a thousand feet into Page we arrived late and heard nothing, saw nothing. It was dark when we settled into the Lake Powell rec area. I got my bike stuck in the sand, brushed my teeth and Jordan & I listened to a little music under that massive Arizona sky.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #27
Rhombic
Typical KLR *****

Oddometer: 179
excellent

No longer talk at all about what a good man ought to be; be such.

Marcus Aurelius
Rhombic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #28
tripletom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerncountykid
Outside of Mexican Hat we crossed over the San Juan River for the second time. I stopped to straighten myself up and threatened Jordan with death if he didn't get some good shots of me in Monument Valley.

Well you must be pretty bloody happy with that one! Stunning.
tripletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #29
OKCThunder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Subscribed!!!

When was this trip?
OKCThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #30
esbama
From Valencia, Spain.

Oddometer: 21
I have liked it very much the images of your trip, your motorcycles ... your landscape. What a great country!.