kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCThunder
Subscribed!!!

When was this trip?
Sept. 17 - Oct. 18 2009

Been about a month since I got home, needed some time to relax and reflect on the whole thing!
kerncountykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #32
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
such a kick ass ride report.
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #33
Chiasmus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Any RR that starts with a pic of bike surgery with two boxes of LPs lurking in the background should be good. Especially if one of the most recently played LPs is 2001 a Space Odyssey (my first intro to Nietzsche).
Chiasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #34
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerncountykid
I stopped to straighten myself up and threatened Jordan with death if he didn't get some good shots of me in Monument Valley.

That is a GREAT SHOT! Love the vintage machines.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #35
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Great stuff

This story just goes to show what can be done if you choose to ride. I love the picture sof wooly gloves and espadrilles. They give me hoe that not eveyrone is buy putting farkles on bikes instead of riding them.
You will remember this in the future with great joy. That I do know.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:06 AM   #36
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,091
Quote:

BTW--if 200 or 300 of us would like to send e-mails to Honda of Tulsa telling them how much we appreciate their treatment of a couple of young FF's far from home adventure riding on classic Hondas, their e-mail address is-- info@hondaoftulsa.com

You are way off base here. They were only a few hours from home. A friend of mine(deceased) was the service manager there several years ago. He said they would be confronted with this situation 2 or 3 times per week. NONE of the mechanics wanted to take a pay cut and the shop didn't either. NOBODY wants to loan tools! The only thing worse he said were the Goldwing riders who showed up at 5 oclock on friday afternoon and wanted an oil change and 2 new tires because they were leaving on a 2 week trip in the morning. After they were told it would be a 2 week wait (behind the people who DID plan ahead) They would then throw a fit and swear to never spend another penny at their shop.
It is an old saying--"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"...It's a cruel world out there.

Excellent RR. Every single one of us on theis site has daydreamed about hopping on an old bike a taking off across country. Keep it coming!
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #37
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus
You are way off base here. They were only a few hours from home. A friend of mine(deceased) was the service manager there several years ago. He said they would be confronted with this situation 2 or 3 times per week. NONE of the mechanics wanted to take a pay cut and the shop didn't either. NOBODY wants to loan tools! The only thing worse he said were the Goldwing riders who showed up at 5 oclock on friday afternoon and wanted an oil change and 2 new tires because they were leaving on a 2 week trip in the morning. After they were told it would be a 2 week wait (behind the people who DID plan ahead) They would then throw a fit and swear to never spend another penny at their shop.
It is an old saying--"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"...It's a cruel world out there.

Excellent RR. Every single one of us on theis site has daydreamed about hopping on an old bike a taking off across country. Keep it coming!
Aww man, I wasn't looking for a hand out, just a little understanding. I doubt they have guys roll in on vintage bikes they built for cross country trips 2 or 3 times a week. I understand about not loaning tools, and an even semi-polite 'sorry, we don't loan' woud have sufficed. I've been around the block and know how that stuff works. These guys were rotten. There wasn't a bike in the shop, they were standing around shooting the shit at 11 am, and talked to us like we were trash. I mean, I built that bike from scratch, give me at least a little credit. And who says 'A compression test wont tell you anything'? Not something I'd expect to hear in a garage, much less a dealership.

Glad you guys are enjoying it, I've got a ton more to write, and the really crazy stuff hasn't even started yet!

kerncountykid screwed with this post 01-03-2011 at 05:33 PM
Old 11-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #38
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In the morning I did not expect Lake Powell. If you've ever seen a finely generated computer graphic of dinosaur era Earth with the words 'artist rendering' in small type you would recognize this place. Probably every one of those pictures is based on Lake Powell. The funny thing is it's got a huge population of house boats and has to be party central in the Summer. So I can't help imagining a guy in pink shorts and Wayfarer glasses being chomped in half by a T-Rex, saying "Bogus!"

Also, this was the first night we ventured to sleep without the tent cover, which was totally gnarly.

The Glen Canyon Dam is equally huge. There's a saucer shaped visitors center perched over it and, while we were there, a guy mowing the weirdest patch of grass on Earth at it's base. The bridge spanning the canyon is nauseating to walk across and whoever dangled over it's sides, riveting and welding his way across, is a hardcore badass in my book. There were dinosaur footprints on display that I palmed my crazy looking hand to. So awesome.

The night before Jordan and I had ridden through an RV park in downtown Page and deemed it too lame to sleep in. We returned in the morning though, hoping to scam a shower, which are normally five bucks a pop. A very confused guy from the Netherlands was nice enough to give me his key code for the bathrooms and we showered up. I tossed my now filthy jeans in the dryer while Gord got his coffee fix at the gas station. I watched the Netherlands group get ready for a day of hiking, presumably through the desert East of downtown Page, as I saw them walking in the opposite direction of Lake Powell. Poor guys, I've never seen such nice people so lost. Highway 89 cut up and over the dull red hills, taking us South through Echo Canyon. I loved Page, I could live here.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #39
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,570
This shot here makes me feel like such a dweeb fat bastard riding around in my $400 helmet and my fancy-schmancy BMW riding jacket and pants, Aerostich boots and Revit gloves. I'm such a dork. An ATGATT dork, but a dork just the same. This, it seems to me, is more the way to do it--

Old 11-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #40
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,406
Quote:
Finally I realize that each booth has a telephone hardlined to the kitchen. I assume I'm supposed to do my best Big Bopper, pick up the receiver and say "Helllllloooooo Baaaaby!"

"You know...what I like"

Including this report! Good work, very enjoyable!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #41
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Well ridden, young dudes.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #42
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,426
Quote:
Aww man, I wasn't looking for a hand out, just a little understanding. , I've got a ton more to write, and the really crazy stuff hasn't even started yet!
Enjoying the heck out of your report! Keep it coming!

I was a service manager for a Yamaha/Kawa Dealership at one time. Several times someone would come back there and ask for Andy or Clyde. Either a sales or parts person would tell them there were two old school mechanics in the back they needed to talk to. No matter what kind of bike they were traveling cross country in or how long they had been on the road, 95% of the time we got them going. Once, even taking my sprockets and chain off my KLR to fit up a guy from Germany going across country. I've visited the good and the bad shops in my travels across the good ole US of A. Sad that the bad outnumber the good at times. Parts changers rather than mechanics.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #43
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 670
Too bad advrider.com wasn't around in the 70's because the photos in this RR would fit right in!
Old 11-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #44
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
The world has changed since I did my first trip out west in 1969. I rode with stuff that looked like what there wearing. I had a flat in Kansas, hitched a ride to get fixed and was taken back to my bike.

The story is great, I envy the guys, and await the rest of the story
Old 11-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #45
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,834
Intrepid, you are.

Good stuff.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote