Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #31
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,809
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman

That was before I mounted my "carrier" and got the part to the bike.
What, no oven mitts?
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #32
marchyman OP
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,837
Hey, I thought I was lucky that my wife let me use the oven.

The leather work gloves I was wearing weren't quite up to the task without help.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #33
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
350F is pretty hot for an aluminum heat treated part. It will stress relieve at that temperature.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #34
marchyman OP
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogmolly
350F is pretty hot for an aluminum heat treated part. It will stress relieve at that temperature.
The oven was 350F, not the part.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #35
Grad
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,244
never thought to look before until i saw this thread. the Internet blows things out of proportion though, right? This just happens to a few people, not the masses! I wasn't worried.

3 out of the 5 look like this.

So it is off for my annual trip of leaving the bike at the dealer to fix the shit that breaks over the course of a year. We will file this one in the ever growing folder entitled "why you should buy an extended warranty for your BMW."

If you have a 2005, go check your flange. It is easily missed during your tire change.
Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #36
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,099
Never Saw The Answer..May Have Missed It..

So how did BMW change and correct the flange design to prevent this cracking? Thanks...

And I to agree that the total number of bikes with cracked flanges is a small % of the total BMW bikes built...and yes BMW did correct the problem [believe they did]...and no the "sky is not falling" but if any of the numerous "small issues" happens on your bike it IS significant... and unlike the antenna boondoggle a broken flange could really ruin your day..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #37
IJM
Hinderant Backbenderz

Oddometer: 220
Thumbs down I'm in the club...

I've got an early build GS1200 and I just got the call from BMW (bikes in storage) that they noticed the flange is cracked at all bolts. On one hand I'm glad the problem has been found and didn't cause me injury and on the other I'm really not impressed with the fact that it's fractured in the first place.
IJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #38
Grad
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,244
I suspect that there are a lot more 05s with these cracks than is realized. It is very easy to miss them when you do a tire change because of all of the dirt and grime on the flange...I didn't see mine until I took the brake cleaner to it. For all I know I've had these cracks for 20,000 miles.
Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #39
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I would be curious to know if the cracked flanges occur with wire wheels or cast wheels or if it makes any difference.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #40
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,509
Interesting, some seem to break on the wheel bolt holes, and some on the brake rotor bolt holes.

So far as I remember from others posting, it doesn't matter if you have spokes or cast wheels.

I will continue to keep an eye out for this, though like I said, I haven't seen one in person yet. I do show how to look for them on my newest DVD though.

This is a spoke wheel GS with 70K miles on it at the time, now over 85K miles, still good. It is an 06. My 05 GS with 55K was good when I sold it, and my ex-GF;s 05 R1200ST is still good at 56K miles.

Jim

PS We changed the rear rotor twice in the last 20K miles or so, so we have looked closely at it on the 06 GS.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #41
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
My "guess" is that it is not related to usage, but rather to temperature variations. The rotor and/or the hub will not expand/contract at the same rate as the flange. Something has to give.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #42
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,809
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
and no the "sky is not falling" QUOTE]
No, Maybe just some unlucky BMW owners will fall instead. This defect is absolutely dangerous and inexcusable.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:45 AM   #43
IJM
Hinderant Backbenderz

Oddometer: 220
NHTSA reporting

[quote=bemiiten]
Quote:
No, Maybe just some unlucky BMW owners will fall instead. This defect is absolutely dangerous and inexcusable.
I agree completely with you, I have reported this defect via national highway traffic safety administration and I'd encourage others who've encountered this to do the same, might help in trend identification and get proactive corrective action underway rather than waiting for the inevitable catastrophic failure.
I am not an expert in metallurgy but it seems that it should be relatively straightforward to calculate and predict the stresses dynamic,static and thermal that this component is subject to.
IJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #44
vinny2003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Question Mine too

After reading this link I went out to my 2005 purchased in April 2004 GS1200 with 55,000 miles and noticed that all five lugs were cracked and some of the rotor point were cracked too.

I didn't notice them during the last tuneup (48,000)? I'll take it to the dealer in the morning and hope to work something out?
Attached Images

vinny2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #45
Unca Fud
nrpetersen

Oddometer: 236
[quote=IJM]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten
it should be relatively straightforward to calculate and predict the stresses dynamic,static and thermal that this component is subject to.
As a retired MechEngr, I can assure you that this is not something that is calculatable. It is something that might be found by test track experience, but more likely by field experience where the range of driver inputs is even more varied.

Most engineering is really an art, not a science. People frankly expect more from design than we can deliver given the variabilities of material specs, part configuration, and fatigue inputs. Here we have apparently a thermal component too.
Unca Fud is offline   Reply With Quote