Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,250
Bicycling vs. Motorcycling

Is anyone more drawn to bicycling vs. motorcycling lately? I enjoy both, but lately have had more of a pedaling bug. It's doing some positive things for my health and creating some "zen" moments for my mind.

How about you?
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
For me, the main advantage of a motorcycle is being able to cover bigger distances in less time. Otherwise, I've known for several years now that I prefer bicycling to motorcycling, and if I had to choose, bicycling would get the nod. I pretty much only use my motorcycle for commuting now and running errands that are simply too impractical to do with my bicycle. I do love commuting with it though, and generally prefer commuting with the M/C as opposed to using a car.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,712
I have a mutual addiction. Right now, I'm training for a century in June, but after the event, I'll be back on my motorcycles more regularly.

I love them both equally for completely different reasons.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 1,001
Back and forth

I love both motorcycling (dirt and pavement) and mountain biking (no road biking). I go in spurts, lots of one then flip the other way around. Now I also throw E biking in the mix.
dogsslober is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,527
I rode lots of both. I aspire to ride more of both.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
gonerydin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I like to bicycle but I can't force myself to ride among motor vehicles on the public roads. Fortunately there are good trail systems. I only do about 2k miles/year on the bicycle.
gonerydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippertheripper View Post
I rode lots of both. I aspire to ride more of both.
Probably the best response so far
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,587
I race both. I'm old and plan on continuing to race both, until they run out of age groups for me.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #9
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,731

Love em both, but riding motos doesn't do nearly as much for the roll round my middle

M
Old 03-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummee! View Post

love em both, but riding motos doesn't do nearly as much for the roll round my middle

m
+1000
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #11
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,191
Love 'em both. Grew up with bicycles and dirt motos. Still have both.

Rode bikes all through high school and college, discovering midwestern "mountain biking" in the mid-1980s, then in 1990 moved to Seattle where I got heavily into bicycle racing. Was fortunate to meet some good racers in a good environment and ended up racing road and cyclocross for many years, had a few cups of coffee with some heavy hitters in pro races around the US, Canada and a little in Europe. Honestly, all I ever got out of it was fitness, a high pain threshold, and a lot of travel, but I thought that was pretty good. Retired from racing about 6 years ago, stopped road riding, sold a bunch of my bicycles and started walking to work (1.5 miles each way) and an occasional cross bike ride on trails or gravel. Still do an occasional cross race and have kept in touch with teammates and cycling pals, but not really in the scene anymore.

What to do with the 15-20 hrs/week I was training and racing? Well, I started doing track days on the Ducati, traveling more by moto, wrenching in the garage instead of the basement. Bought some more motos and found myself constantly thinking about n + 1 motos the way I used to about bicycles. Prettied up the garage, slowly accumulating moto-specific tools, ATGATT for SchnickelBabe, taking more and longer trips, etc.

Then, last October, after 3 years without, I bought a new mountain bike (Stumpjumper) and BAM! I've ridden more in the last 4 months than in the previous 4 years combined.

Love 'em both and I'll always come back to both.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
ericm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
I've had one or the other or both since I was 6. I did some bicycle racing in my 20s and early 30s, burned out on cycling and went back to motorcycles. I tried road racing but got into observed trials. I did that for six or seven years, then cut back due to work. When I did do a trials competition I was losing points from being out of shape. So at age 41 I got back into cycling. I was just going to ride to get into shape but after a couple years I decided I wanted to do the Markeeville Death Ride. I finished it saying I'd never do that again and two weeks later was planning for next year. A couple more of those and I started looking for something more challeneging. Heard about this race called the Everest Challenge, a two day stage race that climbs 29,035'. Basically two Death Rides in a row, but longer climbs at higher altitude.

I was going to do the citizen's race but the real racers I'd started training with conviced me to get a license and race again. That was eight years ago and I'm still racing. Not a lot- I only do the fun races now, not everything on the calendar. EC was so much harder than the Death Ride that I could not finish it on the first try. The next year was devoted to training for it. The feeling of accomplishment when I finished it the next year was intense. I've since finished in the top 10. I'm not that good a racer, I will probably not get to cat 3. But I am enjoying it.

My trials motos have been sitting for an embarassingly long time. Pretty much the only riding I do now is commuting. But I'm really fit.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #13
kbasa
Colnago!

There's a certain kind of peace I get with bicycles that I don't get with motorcycles. However, there are certain kinds of sensual and visceral thrills that come from motorcycles, but not bicycles, especially when I'm thrashing the 916 pretty hard.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,774
I get a rush riding both, but the sense of accomplishment I get after a long, difficult bicycle ride, can't be beat.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I get a rush riding both, but the sense of accomplishment I get after a long, difficult bicycle ride, can't be beat.
Good point. I think that's what I get from cycling that I don't get from motorcycling as often.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: