ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #46
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,521
My buddy (and expert wrencher) told me the DR has the manual compression and the auto, but doesn't really need the auto. He used to own one and took off the auto decompresser. He said he never missed it one bit.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #47
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad
My buddy (and expert wrencher) told me the DR has the manual compression and the auto, but doesn't really need the auto. He used to own one and took off the auto decompresser. He said he never missed it one bit.
The automatic compression release is built into the cam.
As I recall only the e-start motors have the auto compression release. The kick-start motors have the manual lever. Never seen one with both
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #48
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
BikePilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 11,175
I thought later model off road DR's had the auto decomp mechanism as well, but could be wrong about that. Jcallis would know I think.
__________________
'09 Buell XB12XT, TL1000S, H1F, M620, CR250R, KX100, XR650R, Cota 315R

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #49
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Oddometer: 2,692
>"I thought later model off road DR's had the auto decomp mechanism as well"

Yes, my 1995 DR 350 (manual start) has an auto decomp mechanism as well.
TwilightZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #50
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer
 
DisTech's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 616
Hmm in the service manual a de-compression lever adjustment is listed for every year, but automatic de-comp service data is only for 94 and then there is a reference to "Compression pressure (Automatic-decomp. actuated)" for 96 and 97. I tried looking at Ronayers and Mrcycles but that just made it more confusing.

I thought automatic de-comp was for electric start bikes and manual de-compression was for kick start. Anyway, I want a de-comp lever so I'm going to get a different head.

Took the rest of the stuff off the 93 frame. The street frame sure has a bunch more brackets and mount points than the dirt frame.


I think maybe I'll grind a few off, especially this one that's mashed anyway (hope it's not important).


I've read that pressing the DR stem out and using it in the new triples is the easiest way to do a for swap. It looks doable, the base of the DR stem is 30mm and I think the KTM stem is 29mm.


Any advice on getting those bearing off?

That slot in the DR stem is for that little lock on the steering column to engage (thought that was funny).
__________________
DisTech - Suzuki (1993 DR350S & 1994 DR350, 1996 DR650/DR790), BMW (1999 R1100GS)
DisTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #51
Mezo
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane,Australia.
Oddometer: 2,129
Thumb If in doubt, give it a clout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech


Any advice on getting those bearing off?
Mine was stuck tight as well, clamped it in a vice & belted it with a big hammer on a steel drift



Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #52
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech
Hmm in the service manual a de-compression lever adjustment is listed for every year, but automatic de-comp service data is only for 94 and then there is a reference to "Compression pressure (Automatic-decomp. actuated)" for 96 and 97. I tried looking at Ronayers and Mrcycles but that just made it more confusing.

I thought automatic de-comp was for electric start bikes and manual de-compression was for kick start. Anyway, I want a de-comp lever so I'm going to get a different head.

Took the rest of the stuff off the 93 frame. The street frame sure has a bunch more brackets and mount points than the dirt frame.


I think maybe I'll grind a few off, especially this one that's mashed anyway (hope it's not important).


I've read that pressing the DR stem out and using it in the new triples is the easiest way to do a for swap. It looks doable, the base of the DR stem is 30mm and I think the KTM stem is 29mm.


Any advice on getting those bearing off?

That slot in the DR stem is for that little lock on the steering column to engage (thought that was funny).
To get the bearings off just press the stem out and the bearings will come off as you press the stem out.
The brackets are weird. On my Kickstart model (Road Legal) I have passenger footpeg brackets on the left side but not the right side.?? WTF!!
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #53
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,695
Just had a measure of the stem on my YZF clamps. 30mm. Mine might be a real easy fit !!
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #54
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer
 
DisTech's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 616
Thanks Mezo and Phil.

Started tearing down the '94.


Does that look like a lot of oil to you? It looks like more than 1700ml to me!

Triples from '93 street left and '94 dirt right.
__________________
DisTech - Suzuki (1993 DR350S & 1994 DR350, 1996 DR650/DR790), BMW (1999 R1100GS)
DisTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:12 AM   #55
Mezo
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane,Australia.
Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech

Brilliant

Next time keep the light in the same spot & out of camera shot

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #56
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer
 
DisTech's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo
Brilliant

Next time keep the light in the same spot & out of camera shot

Mezo.
Ha! Good thing you didn't see the boom mic!
__________________
DisTech - Suzuki (1993 DR350S & 1994 DR350, 1996 DR650/DR790), BMW (1999 R1100GS)
DisTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #57
wide
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 386
Great thread
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #58
2WHEEL
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 2
Most Excellent Rebuild

Thank-you for demonstrating such wonderfull skill in your presentation of the rebuild process. Following this thread is like reading a prize-winning novel.
2WHEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #59
slowsuki1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 118
this is a great build, i did my dr350 [435] bigbore last winter . here is what i am running 435 big bore, ground header, opened up stock muffler, drop in cam, fcr 37mm carb, ported head, no base gasket, 0 squash band,as of this weekend dr250 cdi. next i have a complete front end off my husaberg fe501 wp 50mm extreme that i am going to adapt to it. i am thinking of lightening the flywheel and also going to the dr250 for more timing ,but am wondering about detination,this build has enspired me to complete my bike thanks.
slowsuki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #60
jcalis
Studly Adventurer
 
jcalis's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: S.E. Massachusetts
Oddometer: 571
Quote:
The automatic compression release is built into the cam.
As I recall only the e-start motors have the auto compression release. The kick-start motors have the manual lever. Never seen one with both
I have seen a 1996 offroad model with both. From what I can understand, the head change (with auto decomp cam) was needed for the e-start dualsport models. Suzuki kept the provision for manual decomp on these new heads so one part could be used for both bikes. E-start bikes will not have the decom shaft and the un-needed hole is simply plugged inside. The 1994 off-road models should have the newer auto decomp cam and the manual decomp lever. You can kick these bikes without using the lever, but it helps to get the kick start lever in the correct starting position before the kick.

It is also useful for clearing a flooded cylinder after crashing (I have a lot of experience with this) Hold the lever down and kick-kick-kick
__________________
2007 WR250F (plated)
jcalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014