Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Jayhawk1986 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Eek Montana 650T..Garmin is useless

I'm hoping that I can get some straight answers from this forum.
I've got the Montana 650T but have yet to figure out how to preload GPS coordinates for a 500 mile trek I'm doing in a couple of weeks.
Customer Support did little to help me.
Is there a way to preload GPS coordinates so I can do this in advance of a big tour I've got in 2 weeks. I've got Topo maps and City Navigator North America NT
My Garmin is up to date with the software but there should be a way to preload coordinates just dont know how to do so from My Garmin dashboard.
Your advice is greatly appreciated for the less-than-tech-saavy person I am.

Jayhawk86
Jayhawk1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,084
What does this question have to do with the west?

Perhaps you would get more help if you posted it in general section!

I would open Basecamp, plan away by drawing Tracks or if you are a street rider, enter waypoints for your planned route then have it create Routes, then download to Garmin when done.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
There is a way to do it on the unit. But it is pretty tedious.

You can scroll the map to each point you want, zoom way in, and then touch the screen at the place you want a waypoint. This will let you create a waypoint at this spot. Touch the banner window and then touch the flagpole icon on the left side of the resulting Save/Navigate window to save the waypoint. Repeat for each waypoint

I and most other people use the Garmin Basecamp software running on an external computer. You can download it from Garmin. It lets you create waypoints, routes and tracks that you can send to your Montana via a USB cable that comes with the unit.

There is a bit of a learning curve to use it. If your Montana is hooked to your computer when you run Basecamp will see the maps on the unit and let you pan and zoom on them. This will make it pretty easy to create navigation info.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
What does this question have to do with the west?

Perhaps you would get more help if you posted it in general section!

I would open Basecamp, plan away by drawing Tracks or if you are a street rider, enter waypoints for your planned route then have it create Routes, then download to Garmin when done.

If a thread needs moved, a press of the blame button will bring it to my attention. No sarcasm is required.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk1986 View Post
I'm hoping that I can get some straight answers from this forum.
I've got the Montana 650T but have yet to figure out how to preload GPS coordinates for a 500 mile trek I'm doing in a couple of weeks.
Customer Support did little to help me.
Is there a way to preload GPS coordinates so I can do this in advance of a big tour I've got in 2 weeks. I've got Topo maps and City Navigator North America NT
My Garmin is up to date with the software but there should be a way to preload coordinates just dont know how to do so from My Garmin dashboard.
Your advice is greatly appreciated for the less-than-tech-saavy person I am.

Jayhawk86
As wbbnm notes, Basecamp is available. If you only have the maps loaded on your GPS, and don't have a DVD, then you have to use Basecamp.

IF you have the DVD, you may also be able to use Mapsource. IMHO, it is easier to use, but it won't read map data from the GPS, the way that Basecamp will.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
2WheelieADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
If you on the road and don't have access to a computer, you can create a route directly in the Montana. Go to Routes/Create new, and you can choose by which category. I do Use Map, zoom it in and set via points. It will save it as 001, 002, etc and you can rename it later.
2WheelieADV is offline   Reply With Quote