Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
pirate gonzo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Question Search for City Garmin Basecamp

I am currently running Garmin Basecamp Version 2.3.1.0 with CN North America NT 2015.30.

I would like to just search for a city, not a specific address. How do I go about that?

For example, if I search for West Bend WI I get a bunch of places in KS. If I search for Onalaska WI I get a bunch of Onalaskas in TX.

But all these are coming up in the "Addresses". Is there a setting that allows for just searching cities?

Currently I enter the city in to Google maps and copy the coordinates over to Basecamp to get my results.

Thanks!
pirate gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 591
I do not think this is possible in BC as a search is going to find you a specific geographic point and a city does not have one in BC.

Google Map and Google earth are able to search for cities as they have likely created a database specifically for cities.

Under the FIND menu in BC you will see all of the available search options and CITIES are not one of them.

A work around would be to use the VIEW menu and Go To Google Earth and use the search function there to find the cities you are looking for.

You can also us GE to create a route and save as a *.kml or *.kmz file then open that in BC to bring the route created in GE into your Basecamp.

J
Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,769
The current version of Garmin BaseCamp for Mac is v4.4.6 and for Windows is also version 4.4.6.

Mac-BaseCamp has the option to search for Cities.

Win-BaseCamp also has this option.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
pirate gonzo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The current version of Garmin BaseCamp for Mac is v4.4.6 and for Windows is also version 4.4.6.
Well I am glad that I posted what version I am using because you are right, I went on my Mac and it is v4.4.6. I have no idea why my Windows version is so out dated. I literally replaced Mapsource back in September with Basecamp. I must have somehow just downloaded an old version.

Thanks for pointing that out, I am going to update it and take care of that issue.
pirate gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote