ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #136
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelis04 View Post
Too bad I was 1100km's away from home and it happened in the first of 3 weeks holiday.
I don't take long trips, but I have decided when I do, I will bring a back-up GPS.

RichardU screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 09:37 PM
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #137
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Please describe the problem.
Basically the same problem I had before replacing the touch screen. After replacing the touchscreen it worked for a few days. The screen freezes up, No touch screen buttons work. One button will be a light beige color and not respond. Using outer buttons you can switch to a different screen but will default back to the navigation screen with speed, elev, etc. Gps still tracks route, I can upload the route to PC.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #138
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
If two screens (old and new) are doing the same thing, I would look elsewhere for the problem, which probably means going to Garmin. They are pretty good about repair/replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Basically the same problem I had before replacing the touch screen. After replacing the touchscreen it worked for a few days. The screen freezes up, No touch screen buttons work. One button will be a light beige color and not respond. Using outer buttons you can switch to a different screen but will default back to the navigation screen with speed, elev, etc. Gps still tracks route, I can upload the route to PC.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #139
dirtydoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
try reconecting the ribbon
dirtydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #140
GSman
Ride far to new places...

Oddometer: 19
OK, feedback and LESSONS LEARNED from one more successful digitizer replacement...

Symptom: Zumo 550 going “crazy”. Phantom screens popping up at random, impossibility to select a screen at will, incredible delay on all performed commands, screen freezing up, no touch screen buttons working, one touch screen button staying light beige in color and not responding, etc.

Probable direct cause: damaged digitizer sending wrong selection instructions to the central processing unit and monopolizing all the computing power for phantom screen requests.

Probable indirect cause: my Zumo 550 was purchased in September 2009 to be used in a Touratech vibration absorbing mount on my BMW R1200 GSA and endured 53,000 miles (so far), including a trip to Prudhoe Bay, AK; plus about a dozen outings mounted on a KTM 525 EXC in another Touratech vibration absorbing mount, riding the passes in Colorado (Engineer, Imogene, etc.) plus another dozen outings in the Arizona desert. The unit got a few scratches and started to produce phantom screens from time to time after 2 years of use (i.e. 2011), generally corrected by a cleaning of the screen. As the problem suddenly intensified this year I cleaned the screen with Windex and that essentially killed it. I SUSPECT THAT THE DIGITIZER IS SURFACE-COATED WITH A FILM THAT SEEMS TO TAKE ABOUT 3+ YEARS (depending on how much you ride) TO DETERIORATE NATURALLY, PROBABLY DUE TO UV RADIATIONS, AND IT SEEMS THAT CLEANING CHEMICALS (ALCOHOL?) PRECIPITATE CATASTROPHIC FAILURE TOWARD THE END OF LIFE OF THE COATING.

Part used: I ordered the part “USA Shipping -Garmin Zumo 450 550 Touch Screen Digitizer Glass 79mmx 64.5mm Item# 330732224800” from goodsupply0889 on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330732224800) for $26.98. I ordered two of them in order to have a spare - which proved providential (see here under...). The order was placed on Monday Aug 6 with UPS ground shipping. The digitizers were received in Flagstaff, AZ on Saturday Aug 11. THIS IS THE CORRECT PART. THE SIZE FITS PERFECTLY THE LCD SCREEN AND THE CONNECTING RIBBON CABLE IS THE CORRECT ONE.

Replacement work: I followed the process outlined by FrankS at the beginning of this thread and it worked perfectly with the following notes:
1- As observed by many others, the proper Torx size is #6.
2- My unit does not have a “black frame” (as described at the beginning of the thread) attached to the LCD display. That second frame - on which the digitizer is glued - is apparently silver in some units.
3- I actually unglued the digitizer from this mounting frame without dismounting this frame from the LCD display as recommended. I am not sure why dismounting the frame from the LCD would make the work easier.
4- To glue back the new digitizer on the frame I used a double sided adhesive product called CONTACT STICK sold at Home Depot in a package of five 1”x3” strips and five 1”x2” strips. You will find this by their Crazy Glue etc. products in the Paint section. The 1”x3” strips are perfect to cut 4 thin 1/8” strips to place on all 4 sides of the LCD screen. This is the ideal product for the job but you better be sure to use sharp and clean scissors to cut it. This thing sticks like crazy...

Mistakes to avoid: I made two mistakes that you can do without (especially the first one!).
1- I am the guy who generally strips the Allen key round while over tightening screws, so I was not content to just press geeeennnntly the new digitizer down on the adhesive strips. I pressed hard with my nail around the perimeter to make sure the glue stuck ... and I cracked the glass of the new digitizer #$%^&!?!?!?!?! Good thing I had ordered two, I guess...
2- I then became over cautious and did not insert deeply enough the LCD ribbon cable before latching it back in its socket. This resulted in an operating screen but without any backlight. I could only very faintly discern that the unit was actually working...

Outcome: the Zumo now operates as new. I used the opportunity to update the Garmin firmware. You can do that by going to the so-called Dashboard at http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00567-00 with your unit connected to the computer with the regular USB cable.

Thank you all for the help dispensed in this thread, and especially to FrankS for starting the ball rolling and the superb illustrated “how to”.
2006 KTM 525 EXC
Iron Butt Association - A weekend gets good after 1,000 miles...

GSman screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 09:12 PM
GSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #141
GSman
Ride far to new places...

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
If the unit did work for a while with the new digitizer, it could possibly be a cable connection issue, but I would not exclude the odd faulty new digitizer. These things will typically live for a long time or die quickly, and the mortality ratio for new parts is infinitesimal after QC testing, but not quite zero...
2006 KTM 525 EXC
Iron Butt Association - A weekend gets good after 1,000 miles...
GSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #142
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,251
Came about this post in a Google search for Torx size...LOL Seems like a good thread. I already took mine apart but figured while I wait for the new digitizer from Hong Kong I would order the Torx set.

Okay so your probably wondering how I took it apart then. Simple I dremeled a small flathead eye glass screwdriver to the size...LOL I have tons of eye glass screwdrivers (a side of the family owns a huge Hardware chain in MI so stock holders get grab bags at the annual meeting of products)...LOL So I don't NEED the torx but for the $8 on Amazon for a nice set why not order them. I've needed them for OTHER electronics (seems to be the norm now).

I think I paid $18 included shipping from Hong Kong direct from manufacture. I believe its the manufacture selling them hence the cheap price. If I recall the ebay listing it said includes the screen too which the first post says is an extra $50. So that might of changed now.

I got my Zumo in 2007 till 2012 it lasted, that is much longer then I thought the GPS as a whole would last. I have had to replace the battery once and the GPS mount once. I did notice that one of the buttons had a light crack around it...probably will dab the inside of the button with black silcone but you probably will want to look at those while you have it apart. You could not notice the crack from the outside.

If I can get 5 more years out of this unit then I would say that it paid for itself. If I recall the wife paid $580 on Black Friday for this.
modette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #143
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSman View Post
If the unit did work for a while with the new digitizer, it could possibly be a cable connection issue, but I would not exclude the odd faulty new digitizer. These things will typically live for a long time or die quickly, and the mortality ratio for new parts is infinitesimal after QC testing, but not quite zero...
yep, and so cheap I kick myself for not ordering 2 or 3 of them (due to slow shipping to have on hand).
modette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #144
Craigzz
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Need clamping bar that attaches touch screen lead to board

Hi,

I just replaced the lcd/touch screen combo in my Garmin Zumo 550, but I have a problem. The clamping bar that holds the touch screen lead to the circuit board is currently hiding and can not be found. Any suggestions on how to attach to board without sending back to Garmin. Anyone have an extra one? The lead is not held in place with electrical tape which won't last too long.

Thanks,
Craigzz
Craigzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #145
wheels
Practicing to retire

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigzz View Post
Hi,

I just replaced the lcd/touch screen combo in my Garmin Zumo 550, but I have a problem. The clamping bar that holds the touch screen lead to the circuit board is currently hiding and can not be found. Any suggestions on how to attach to board without sending back to Garmin. Anyone have an extra one? The lead is not held in place with electrical tape which won't last too long.

Thanks,
Craigzz
It's not clear what your asking. Go to page 1 in this thread and look at all the pic's.

"Full Tilt Bozo Panic"
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #146
Craigzz
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Clamping bar, more details

Hi,

I need the small plastic piece that flips over to lock in the touch screen [digitizer] lead to the circuit board. It is the small brown/tan piece that locks in place when it is rotated toward the board with the lead in place.

Thanks,
Craigzz
Craigzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #147
wheels
Practicing to retire

Quote:
gunnr, I had an issue after replacing mine which may help. I noticed the + on the screen was always being pressed, so I slipped a piece of a negative or something as thin, even your fingernail where the screen mets the case lip and this relieved the pressure that was pushing on the lens. Maybe take the cover off and recheck the fit.

"Full Tilt Bozo Panic"
Old 09-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #148
wheels
Practicing to retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigzz View Post
Hi,

I need the small plastic piece that flips over to lock in the touch screen [digitizer] lead to the circuit board. It is the small brown/tan piece that locks in place when it is rotated toward the board with the lead in place.

Thanks,
Craigzz
Got it, Mine didn't come loose when working on it.You might find one at an electronics store or on line. You sure you can't find it?

"Full Tilt Bozo Panic"
Old 09-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #149
cnj3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
zumo 550 digitizing screen

Made purchase and installation with no problems. My screen is not as bright as oem. I adjusted brightness to 100% but it is hardly visible in sunlight. Device works fine, just cannot see it. Anyone encounter this problem?
cnj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #150
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj3 View Post
Made purchase and installation with no problems. My screen is not as bright as oem. I adjusted brightness to 100% but it is hardly visible in sunlight. Device works fine, just cannot see it. Anyone encounter this problem?
Yes, I found that too. I have done a couple screens. Suppliers were in denial in both cases. Not a lot one can do except get Garmin to replace as far as I can see.