ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #166
watchmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Thanks for the great guide. Was easily the easiest digitizer replacement I have done, much easier than a phone. I am definitely not going to leave my 550 on the bike all the time like I used to.
watchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #167
LC8rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Changed my 550 digitizer last night. Thanks for post. I bought 2 digitizers from china just in case one of my friends 550 failed. Turned out I needed the second spare myself. The first digitizer would not calibrate. The dot went round and round for ages and sometimes moved by itself without being pressed. The second one calibrated very quickly. Fast, precise screen operation at last!! Noticed a rip starting on the on/off rubber. I can seal this off and just use the 12v to power up and not the battery.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #168
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8rider View Post
Changed my 550 digitizer last night. Thanks for post. I bought 2 digitizers from china just in case one of my friends 550 failed. Turned out I needed the second spare myself. The first digitizer would not calibrate. The dot went round and round for ages and sometimes moved by itself without being pressed. The second one calibrated very quickly. Fast, precise screen operation at last!! Noticed a rip starting on the on/off rubber. I can seal this off and just use the 12v to power up and not the battery.
Just did mine, had a similar issue. Figured out that I didn't have the rubber seal down just right, it was causing the problem. Repositioned it, and all was good.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #169
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
FWIW, replaced the digitizer and still has the same issues-buttons work, screen doesn't
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #170
z-man99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
FWIW, replaced the digitizer and still has the same issues-buttons work, screen doesn't
This is my Zumo's problem. The button will light up on the screen after I touch it but it won't do anything. So is this more of a cpu problem? 55 minute of phone tech support with no results. Software is updated but the problem persists. Tech girl offered a $150 exchange or a $75 trade-up.
z-man99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #171
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-man99 View Post
This is my Zumo's problem. The button will light up on the screen after I touch it but it won't do anything. So is this more of a cpu problem? 55 minute of phone tech support with no results. Software is updated but the problem persists. Tech girl offered a $150 exchange or a $75 trade-up.

If it's not the gasket issue noted above, and the techies didn't mention it......

Plug it into ypur computer and access the internal memory (not SD card). Delete all those voices and text other than the English or maybe Spanish, whatever. That frees up memory. Don't know it that will help your specific problem but it won't hurt. Made mine faster. The old 450/550 is short on memory now with all the updated maps and such.

It's still worth more than $75 on a trade up, as is.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #172
COSwede
Uncle Han

Oddometer: 14
Thumb Thank you ADVrider and contributers!

Awesome job contributors!!!

Another Zumo 550 (already replaced once in fall 2011) has a new touch screen! Not much of a life span
Ebay (seller - goodsupply0889) for $US 19.98. and I received it in less than 10 days...
This is your life! What are you doing today to make it the best?
COSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #173
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
did my 550 tonight.. took about 15 min.. I bought the screen and digitizer combo.. I previously order just the digitizer on ebay and they sent the wrong size...says it will take 20 days.. so I ordered the combo from different seller.. so since my screen from 550 was ok when the digitizer does arrive ill have spare combo on the shelf..

I also recently picked up a nice 450 on ebay for a reasonable price,,it in better shape than my 550. nice to have a back up.. the 550 has gone astray on my twice.. once while attemping an iron butt, the last when digitizer failed I was 800 milefrom home and had learn to read a paper map all over again..
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #174
WJBertrand
Ventura Highway

Oddometer: 3
My first post to ADVrider! I wanted to express gratitude to those contributing to this thread, it's easily the most complete collection of information on this subject I was able to find anywhere on the web. Great work!

I completed my second go at the digitizer replacement this past Sunday evening and as of today the 550 is still working properly. My first go resulted in the condition as though someone was holding down one of the buttons continuously as some have reported above. No amount of fiddling with the gasket would resolve it. What was strange about my first attempt was that everything worked perfectly upon reassembly, but then began acting up the following day. Upon disassembling the unit again, I found that leaving the upper right hand screw that holds the digitizer/LCD sandwich to the front cover (looking at the front of the unit as you would use it) slightly backed off from full tight, allowed it to work perfectly initially, but again the next day begin acting up.

I wanted to post this as I believe my error, in part, was not cleaning the old adhesive off thoroughly enough. I also think I might have had a wrinkle in the double sticky tape. I'm thinking this left pressure points when reassembled causing the digitizer to malfunction. Whatever adhesive they used on my unit, GooGone and 90% isopropyl alcohol would not touch it.

I went back in a third time with the idea of removing the new digitizer and doing a more thorough clean up, but of course I cracked the damn thing even though I was being as careful as possible. What I ended up doing was removing the metal frame from the LCD so I could use something more aggressive on the residual adhesive without worrying about damaging the display. Brake cleaner did the trick. I then reinstalled the frame on the LCD.

I bought and installed the second digitizer on the perfectly flat, clean frame and used a flat surface and a right angle to line things up perfectly before sticking it on this time. Any way, I wanted to contribute these small tips and ask a question. I wonder if we can get a sense of how effective this repair is? That is, there is several cases like mine where the fix didn't last and I'm wondering how common re-occurrences of the failure are?

After my experience with it working fine immediately after the replacement, and then screwing up later, even though the unit is working fine at the moment, I'm pretty tentative about it.

WJBertrand screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 02:16 PM
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #175
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,611
Welcome to the asylum WJBertrand!

I replaced mine last winter having ordered 2 from Goodsupply 0889 just in case. It worked right out of the gate and has been fine all summer for over 18k kms. My only minor complaint is that it seems to scratch easier than the original Garmin screen. It was cheap and I have a spare so.....

Ummm, since it's original failure mid trip, I find myself with two 550's and a 450 now. Once bitten twice shy?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #176
Plasterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Just completed the repair. Simple fix, low cost. Saved a ton of money. Thanks!
Plasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #177
WJBertrand
Ventura Highway

Oddometer: 3
Well, going on over a week now and my 550 seems to be back! This in spite of me dropping it on the garage floor whilst trying to remove it from the cradle. I watched in horror as it bounced and tumbled across the floor, shedding parts along the way! When I picked it up, the new digitizer appeared intact and it turned on and booted up seemingly normally. The interchangeable top cap had popped off and the SD card was jettisoned, but all worked fine upon reassembly.
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #178
Libertynh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Another successful repair

Just wanted to say that I ordered and installed a replacement digitizer based on info found here and it works! Hopefully no more fighting with the thing since I am too cheap to buy another. Took two attempts to make the ribbon cable connection but other than that it wasn't too hard. Thanks for posting this!
Libertynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #179
DMSarnia
n00b

Oddometer: 4
what size?

I've been looking on ebay for the replacement 'Digitizer' but they list a number of different sizes ranging from 79 x 64.5 mm to 76 x 63mm.

I have a "HONDA" badged Garmin 550 Zumo that has just begun to crap out. Before I remove it from the bike, I am hoping to have all I need on hand to fix it.

Thanks in advance,
Don in Sarnia
DMSarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #180
mellysenior
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Excellent thread

very pleased to find this thread; my 550 has also gone the way of others and thought it finished until google came to the rescue!

Look forward to fixing as described and thanks to all
mellysenior is offline   Reply With Quote