ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #31
GS Addict
Pepperfool
 
GS Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunshine Coast B.C.
Oddometer: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbush
Hi - the digitizer I ordered using that ebay link for a Zumo 550 arrived today. The digitizer measures 3.0" X 2.475". Is this about the size of the first "slightly smaller" digitizer that you received? Should I even bother trying to install this thing?

And, did your correctly-sized digitizer come from a "Yang Lin Sen" at "Espeed Logistics Int'l, Ltd" in Hong Kong?
You can install the smaller one (center carefully) but do a water test to make sure it seals. I am running the smaller one with no issues and keeping the correct size one as a spare.
My correct size one came from mingxing200808. (these names seem to change like days of the week)
__________________
Old enough to know better....
Young enough to try it again

GS Addict screwed with this post 09-04-2010 at 08:08 PM
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #32
ranbush
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 19
Hey GS - thanks for the quick response; mine also came from email addy mingxing200808, return mail names on the box were Yang and Espeed Logistics in HK.

I sent them an email asking about the size discrepancy, and I'll wait and see what they say.
In their order confirmation email, they wrote, "Communication is very important, I hope we can do the happy and successful transction each other." so that sounds promising. I will post the news if we do the happy and successful transction. And, especially if we don't.

Thanks again.
__________________
Ran Bush in Nor Cal
'68 R60/2
'83 R100RS
'92 R100GS
ranbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #33
JRrider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 86
Digitizer Sizing

Ranbush,

Are you saying you ordered from the same guy as GS Addict and got the smaller screen instead of the correct size?

If true, how do we insure we get the right size? GS Addict, how did you do that?

Want to sell your screen to me for a $10 profit? I don't want to mess around..

Let me know.
JRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #34
GS Addict
Pepperfool
 
GS Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunshine Coast B.C.
Oddometer: 3,507
Correct screen size

I suggest everyone do the following:
Send the seller the following question and be sure they confirm
"Please be sure it measures 79.3mm x 64.77mm (3.125" x 2.550") and NOT smaller"
__________________
Old enough to know better....
Young enough to try it again
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 AM   #35
JRrider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 86
Sell

GS Addict,

Want to sell me yours that is the right size?
JRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #36
GS Addict
Pepperfool
 
GS Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunshine Coast B.C.
Oddometer: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRrider
GS Addict,

Want to sell me yours that is the right size?
No I want as a spare.
__________________
Old enough to know better....
Young enough to try it again
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #37
JRrider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 86
Ebay screens seem to be all undersized

I have checked with a few and all seem 3" x 2.5"

the Ming guy has never responded to my questions.

GS Addict, did you just email him or what exactly did you do?

This is a pain.
JRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #38
JRrider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 86
Ha, I got a response

Right after I sent my prior message, I got the response..funny...here it is:

Dear Customer:
We hold: 79.3mm x 64.77mm (3.125 "x 2.550") and NOT smaller for Garmin Zumo 550 touch screen.
If you can buy in our store.
Product link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT
Thank you

- mingxing200808

He is quick at adapting, look at his ad now...anyway... I fell for it and sent my $35...hopefully won't be duped...
JRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #39
GS Addict
Pepperfool
 
GS Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunshine Coast B.C.
Oddometer: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRrider
Right after I sent my prior message, I got the response..funny...here it is:

Dear Customer:
We hold: 79.3mm x 64.77mm (3.125 "x 2.550") and NOT smaller for Garmin Zumo 550 touch screen.
If you can buy in our store.
Product link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT
Thank you

- mingxing200808

He is quick at adapting, look at his ad now...anyway... I fell for it and sent my $35...hopefully won't be duped...


I was very direct with him and he assured me. There you go, he now has an edge over his competitors. I do not think you be duped.
__________________
Old enough to know better....
Young enough to try it again
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #40
ranbush
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 19
Hey guys - I'm sorry to report that I haven't heard back from mingxing200808 regarding the incorrect size digitizer that I received. Also, another concern is that the digitizer he/she/they sent me has the connector in the wrong location. I doubt that the existing connector on the Zumo will even reach the connector on the digitizer.

I sent him a firm email saying that if I don't hear back from him by 14 Sept, I am going to complain loudly and often to the ebay police. BFD, but who knows.

I've tried to upload a JPG of the wrong digitizer, but it's not working, I may try again later.
__________________
Ran Bush in Nor Cal
'68 R60/2
'83 R100RS
'92 R100GS
ranbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #41
ranbush
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 19
News: I heard back from the person, and he says he will send me another touch screen if I tell him the correct size. Again.





__________________
Ran Bush in Nor Cal
'68 R60/2
'83 R100RS
'92 R100GS
ranbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #42
ranbush
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 19
An update; I received my 2nd touch screen from our Man in Hong Kong yesterday. Not only was it the correct size this time, but it was already mounted in the frame, so I didn't have to dork around cutting the old screen out and gluing the new one in. I have no idea why some of us have received different products from this supplier, but I am glad to report that "we do the happy and successful transction".

All hail Frank S, pretbek, and GS Addict for showing the rest of us the way.

More info for those that want to try the Zumo 550 screen-ectomy:

I received both the incorrect screen (too small, connector in the wrong location) and the correct screen (79.3mm x 64.77mm aka 3.125" x 2.550") from "Yang Lin Sen" at "Espeed Logistics Int'l Ltd." in HK. He and I emailed back and forth from the "mingxing200808" link on eBay. I believe he is the same seller that GS Addict bought from.

When I told him that the first screen was too small, he replied after a few days, and I told him the correct size again. The second screen arrived in less than two weeks, a week sooner than he had predicted. He has not asked that I return the first screen, or asked me for more money.

FWIW:
Part number on my old touch screen = 402D 035-41 DA
Part number on the 4 pin connector = A68-D35BA402D 750006400722 0264

Part number on new touch screen = 402D 035-25 BE
Part number on new connector = A68-D35BA402D 710014410703 0 ?? 72 (the third digit was obscured by black ink.)

If you receive a replacement touch screen already mounted in its frame, it's a snap-fit onto the LCD screen. The trickiest part for me was to gently bend the black frame of the old touch screen a bit on all four sides so it would un-snap from the LCD screen.

When re-assembling the 550 case and the guts, the 4 pin connector on my touch screen came out of its socket twice as I was positioning the pieces together.

I didn't have to re-calibrate the screen; it worked correctly when I powered the unit back up, but I shut it down and re-calibrated anyway.

There were small scuffs and scratches on the metal frame of the replacement touch screen, it may have been "refurbished", but it seems to work okay. So far.

Again, my thanks to Frank S, pretbek, and GS Addict.
__________________
Ran Bush in Nor Cal
'68 R60/2
'83 R100RS
'92 R100GS
ranbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #43
GS Addict
Pepperfool
 
GS Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunshine Coast B.C.
Oddometer: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbush
An update; I received my 2nd touch screen from our Man in Hong Kong yesterday. Not only was it the correct size this time, but it was already mounted in the frame, so I didn't have to dork around cutting the old screen out and gluing the new one in. I have no idea why some of us have received different products from this supplier, but I am glad to report that "we do the happy and successful transction".

All hail Frank S, pretbek, and GS Addict for showing the rest of us the way.

More info for those that want to try the Zumo 550 screen-ectomy:

I received both the incorrect screen (too small, connector in the wrong location) and the correct screen (79.3mm x 64.77mm aka 3.125" x 2.550") from "Yang Lin Sen" at "Espeed Logistics Int'l Ltd." in HK. He and I emailed back and forth from the "mingxing200808" link on eBay. I believe he is the same seller that GS Addict bought from.

When I told him that the first screen was too small, he replied after a few days, and I told him the correct size again. The second screen arrived in less than two weeks, a week sooner than he had predicted. He has not asked that I return the first screen, or asked me for more money.

FWIW:
Part number on my old touch screen = 402D 035-41 DA
Part number on the 4 pin connector = A68-D35BA402D 750006400722 0264

Part number on new touch screen = 402D 035-25 BE
Part number on new connector = A68-D35BA402D 710014410703 0 ?? 72 (the third digit was obscured by black ink.)

If you receive a replacement touch screen already mounted in its frame, it's a snap-fit onto the LCD screen. The trickiest part for me was to gently bend the black frame of the old touch screen a bit on all four sides so it would un-snap from the LCD screen.

When re-assembling the 550 case and the guts, the 4 pin connector on my touch screen came out of its socket twice as I was positioning the pieces together.

I didn't have to re-calibrate the screen; it worked correctly when I powered the unit back up, but I shut it down and re-calibrated anyway.

There were small scuffs and scratches on the metal frame of the replacement touch screen, it may have been "refurbished", but it seems to work okay. So far.

Again, my thanks to Frank S, pretbek, and GS Addict.
My pleasure
__________________
Old enough to know better....
Young enough to try it again
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #44
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 857
I too am having the touch screen going crazy syndrome. I can't complain to much because I have had this 550 for about 4 years now!.

I'm torn on doing the flat $150 refurbished swap or replacing the touch screen. http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html Does anyone know if you buy the refurb model will Garmin transfer the lifetime map upgrades over to it? This for me is going to be the determining factor. By the way the refurb now has a 90 day warranty.

As for the digitizer screen, so this is the guy to buy from for the correct size: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190417956530&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Did the screen have the necessary adhesives on it to mount it to the frame? If not what should you use? Any one know how long it would take to get this part to the US?

Thanks!!!!
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #45
ranbush
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 19
>Does anyone know if you buy the refurb model will Garmin transfer the lifetime map upgrades over to it?
Don't know. Call Garmin and wait on hold for 45 minutes, and then report back to us.

>As for the digitizer screen, so this is the guy to buy from for the correct size:
The "mingxing200808" link on eBay worked for me.

> Did the screen have the necessary adhesives on it to mount it to the frame?
Mine was in the frame already. If you read the first two tutorials, others have indicated that their digitizers had adhesive on the digitizer, and you have one shot at positioning it correctly.

>Any one know how long it would take to get this part to the US?
He quotes 2-3 weeks. My second one got here in about two weeks.
__________________
Ran Bush in Nor Cal
'68 R60/2
'83 R100RS
'92 R100GS
ranbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014