ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #46
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
Looking at these links previously posted

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

That one looks like the wrong size screen and he has them "on sale". This one has the correct sized screen...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190451949930

I have had a few instances where the screen locked up. Turned it off then back on and no problems. Yesterday I went to scroll the map and it wouldn't scroll. To make a long story short it seems like the unit is locked up. After messing with it for awhile I got to the "where to & view map" screen. If I push hard the buttons change color like they are being pressed but nothing happens. I tried to reboot and am now stuck on the "select a locale" screen.

Tried the on button and the + button...no good, tried the on button and holding the lower right side of the screen, no good. Also took the battery out for a minute, then over night. Still no go.
Got on Garmins website and found an update for the software. Great, maybe this will fix it. Nope! Supposedly took the software update but who knows...
So I'm guessing I need a new touch screen too?
Thought I'd get more than 15 months use out of something that cost this much...

bwalsh screwed with this post 10-12-2010 at 11:22 AM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:17 AM   #47
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
That sure doesn't seem to be a screen problem to me.

Update: Garmin will transfer the lifetime map update to the refurb model.

Also for a $150 deposit, Garmin will ship you the refurb model before receiving the defective one back. It only took 2 days to get it!!
Old 10-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #48
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D
That sure doesn't seem to be a screen problem to me.

Update: Garmin will transfer the lifetime map update to the refurb model.

Also for a $150 deposit, Garmin will ship you the refurb model before receiving the defective one back. It only took 2 days to get it!!
Yeah, it's got me scratching my head too. Kind of at a loss for what to do. Don't really want to spend $150 right now.
Anyone else seen this happen before?

Old 10-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #49
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 361
Had mine three years and screen locked up. Went thru all the on line updates twice and gave in to the 150 fee. Still cheapest way outbut thinking of switching to something else anyway. Ideas? I like off road and do lots but gotta pound pavement to get there.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #50
RobertDouglas
Tractor Pilot

Oddometer: 23
Cool2

My digitizer started getting weird a couple months ago and I finally got around to replacing it. I've had the 550 about three years. I do a lot of finger dragging on the map, so that probably accelerated the wear. I should try to use Mapsource more to plan routes.

I got the part from Yang Lin Sen, Espeed Logistics, Hong Kong via eBay. It is slightly smaller than the original digitizer, but it still fit within the area of the gasket so I went ahead with it. It did have the adhesive on the back, but I had to peel off the plastic cover which wasn't immediately obvious.

Hasn't been road tested, but it worked immediately definitely fixed the problem.

The replacement was a little easier than I thought it would be. You will need sharp near-vision and a steady hand. I think the main tips are:
1) Carefully flip up the little red tab to remove the ribbon cables
2) Use an exacto knife or something very slender to separate the old digitizer from the LCD screen, but be careful not to cut the LCD screen.
3) If the new digitizer is a little smaller than the old one then it's crucial to get it centered or it won't fit within the area of the gasket
4) check and double-check that the screen gasket is seated in it's groove before you tighten down the screws...you don't want to score that and mess up the seal

Thanks to the folks to posted photos and tips before me
RobertDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #51
REMORA
adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 27
Thank you!

I just received and installed my new digitizer from the same supplier (xingming200808). I ordered the digitizer, was billed $30., and got one already with the metallic frame, so I only needed to fit it in after I removed the old one. Many thanks to all the good guys in this thread. I might have saved myself some money I intended for the 660, but I'll wait until I get to use the Zumo on my bike tomorrow to find out if it won't go bonkers on the road.

On a sad note, I just noticed that my on/off button had a tear on one side. I put some glue around it from the inside, tried pressing the button very gently and it turned on. I hope it holds. Still I dread to ride with it in the rain.
REMORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #52
OldSchool750
Old Rider

Oddometer: 102
digitizer and button failures

I replaced the digitizer....the smaller one from the e-bay seller with no problems. Also, the buttons...at least three on my 550 broke around the edges and one fell out. The solution is to buy a dummy display case that is used in stores. It has all the case parts including the gold plated connector on the bottom...just no electronics. You transfer your electronics and battery into the new case which requires soldering three battery wires and one antenna coax wire. Touch screen replacement is as covered in prior posts. Result...almost a new unit.

I ordered my "dummy" case from Darrel at www.tvnav.com - 785-625-3546 several months ago. As I recall, the case was 25 bucks or so. He may still have them.

Jim
OldSchool750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #53
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool750 View Post
I replaced the digitizer....the smaller one from the e-bay seller with no problems. Also, the buttons...at least three on my 550 broke around the edges and one fell out. The solution is to buy a dummy display case that is used in stores. It has all the case parts including the gold plated connector on the bottom...just no electronics. You transfer your electronics and battery into the new case which requires soldering three battery wires and one antenna coax wire. Touch screen replacement is as covered in prior posts. Result...almost a new unit.

I ordered my "dummy" case from Darrel at www.tvnav.com - 785-625-3546 several months ago. As I recall, the case was 25 bucks or so. He may still have them.

Jim
Good idea! My unit was the display model from Crutchfield in Harrisonburg Va. No dummy cases there.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #54
Georgewk
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Leaking Zumo

Hi, after replacing the screen my Zumo leaks. Does anyone have a solution for this? Can I use silicone to seal the screen and case? Thanks, George
Georgewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #55
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgewk View Post
Hi, after replacing the screen my Zumo leaks. Does anyone have a solution for this? Can I use silicone to seal the screen and case? Thanks, George
Silicone is a last resort but is effective, use sparingly.

Q: Is the replacement screen EXACTLY the same size as the original?
If so, you may have the front seal twisted or out of its channel.
If the screen is undersized then you will probably need silicone to seal unless the screen is exactly centered which is difficult to do.

Note: If your Zumo leaked be sure to dry thoroughly (use a hairdryer on low heat for 3 or 4 hours) as the water creeps up the back of the main circuit board and the board will corrode over a couple days if voltage is present on the board. The unit will then be junk.

GS Addict screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 05:44 PM
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #56
OldSchool750
Old Rider

Oddometer: 102
The vendor on Ebay now has the correct size screen. This is the correct one.
There are others that sell them also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Touch-Screen...item3f055e8905

Jim
OldSchool750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #57
PlayWithGravity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks guys. Found this thread and ordered a new digitizer, pronto. My 550 also took a crap 2-3 years into service. Can't wait to get my parts from Hong Chong and get back to Zu-min'.....
PlayWithGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #58
Tesla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool750 View Post
The vendor on Ebay now has the correct size screen. This is the correct one.
There are others that sell them also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Touch-Screen...item3f055e8905

Jim

They list the screen dimensions as 79mm x 64.5mm. I thought that the correct dimensions were 79.3mm x 64.77mm (3.125" x 2.550")as previously posted on this thread.Barry
Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #59
PlayWithGravity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayWithGravity View Post
Thanks guys. Found this thread and ordered a new digitizer, pronto. My 550 also took a crap 2-3 years into service. Can't wait to get my parts from Hong Chong and get back to Zu-min'.....
The risk here is that you F up the procedures. Like maybe the ribbon cable doesn't connect a easily as youd expect and you end up breaking stuff. Then you're screwed because no Garmin won't warranty it, at all... And you get stuck with an oversized $700 kickstand puck. Ask me how I know.
PlayWithGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #60
Tesla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayWithGravity View Post
The risk here is that you F up the procedures. Like maybe the ribbon cable doesn't connect a easily as youd expect and you end up breaking stuff. Then you're screwed because no Garmin won't warranty it, at all... And you get stuck with an oversized $700 kickstand puck. Ask me how I know.
I feel your pain brother. I decided to have Garmin send me a refurb 550 for $150.00 and your post is confirmation that its the right thing for me. A guaranteed working gps and warranty for 3 months is worth it for me. If I were you I would talk to Garmin anyway........maybe they can work something out for you.

Take heart though. Do it yourselfers like yourself are not always successful when we dive into uncharted waters. I'll bet you've saved far more than you lost. Besides you know that you really wanted a 665 anyway.

Barry
Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote