User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2015, 12:16 AM   #1
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,978
Team Magoo Baja Ride - Part Deux

Beaches, badlands, brews, bikes and.............
BAJA

Beaches

Badlands

Brews

10 riders collected in Florence Arizona, Baja bound again. The recipe for a Baja cocktail was shaken, stirred and served up with a taste of dust, sand, salt, sweat, sun and smiles. Kevin Gallaher led Team Magoo on a second trip, 2013 for myself and a few others followed Big Sprocket all over Baja. The deadly hook of Baja was set, the taste of fish tacos and deep sand riding, missions, sunsets that make a post card, wildness and remoteness, little villages and lonely roads. That sweet taste of local cervezza's and the satisfaction of sharing a ride with honorable members of Team Magoo. Oh what a cocktail served to us all. Top Shelf Ingredients. The taste, ecstasy!

Our team consists of Brain & Laurie Behling from Sipapu New Mexico (Taos). Both have been riding all over the country, trials riders and world travlers. This dynamic duo were a team of their own. We marveled at the determination and cheerful spirit in difficult times. Laurie rides a blinged out farkle queen Husky 250, she rides it standing 90% of the time. Brian is strapped into a KTM 500 that he managed so well in crazy fesh fesh fields. This ionic couple were admired daily by all of us. I have known Brian for over 25 years.

Bruce Bolander, is the ultimate team member on any team, including his all state selection in basketball this year. Motocross racing, skiing, riding a bicycle from Canada to Mexico, the list goes on and on. Bruce grew up and still lives at Sipapu ski resort and carries all the skills you could ever put on a Swiss army knife. Bruce was our sweeper and his efforts were so valuable and appreciated. Bruce rails his KTM 500. Bruce is kind of old but he acts 35 and backs it up. Chopo is also the mcGiver of Team Magoo. Do not, repeat DO NOT try to ride fast or ski fast with Bruce.

Kevin Gallaher, AKA Big Sprocket. Kevin led us around 2 years ago and threw the wood to us all. We were truly missing our all star rider from last year Chuck Sutton, otherwise the whole Team Magoo was there to follow and ride our brains out. Kevin resides close to Baja in Apache Junction Arizona and now professionally guides dual sport rides all over the 4 corners. While out riding solo in the Pacific Northwest last year on his 990, Kevin managed to break is leg and shatter stuff out in the wilds. After a dramatic self rescue he made his way back to Arizona to rehab. Kevin is a work out maniac so he pushed his PT to the limits and against all doctors orders and common sense piloted his KTM 690 as if nothing ever happened. Mounting & dismounting on his 6 foot tall 690 was a dance to say the least.

Ray Roblin, Dallas Texas. Long time member of Team New Mexico and near 100 national trials competitions nation wide. Ray has been visiting the Land of Enchantment for decades. Ray made all DR 650 owners world wide proud riding his Suzuki beast in virgin to Ray desert conditions. Ray weeps of common sense and part of his style is just solid riding in all conditions. A big bike and a newb to Baja Ray earned his miles. Ray is also my best friend.

Andrew La Rosa is a newb to motorcycles and well the whole gambit of dual sport riding. Andrew assembled a basket case XR400 and the bike never missed a beat. Truly a great bike for Baja. Andrew drew on a lot of road racing bicycle experience and after meeting his new neighbor Big Sprocket, Andrew has like 3 motorcycles in his garage. Once the Baja Bug got into Andrews blood, he was hooked. Andrew just rode so well, everyday was a self guided discovery. Pressure, standing, the magic tempo and cadence of kick starting his Honda, loosing a tail bag of tools leaving Mikes Sky Ranch and adding the magical duct tape fix to riding boots only heightened the whole damn experience of riding Baja. Job well done Andrew.

Rob Byrd or Doc Rob lives in Albuquerque. Rob writes the book on consistency and dependability. Rob was so well sorted, an obvious veteran of dual sport and adventure riding. Always ready to go, always right in the thick of things providing his cheeky smile and assistance. Rob is that guy that quietly goes about his business and rides his DRZ 400 with precession and technique. I know that he and Curtis have put in a ton of miles together. I earned a few knuckle 5's from Rob, made my day.

Curtis Kohl - NMTrailBoss. Curtis is part geographer (map freak X100), a historian, a mechanic, a GPS guru and incredible navigator, a trials rider and a dual sport rider that has more moto experience in his ADV finger than I have in my whole body. Want to know about a mountain range, river, abandoned rail road or mines, killer routes in Death Valley or Jackson Wyoming, ask Curtis. Curtis is the white filling that holds the Oreo cookie together. Curtis is a guide and a navigator, that guy who is always counting heads and providing the pep talk. Oh one last comment that is a must to understand TrailBoss, he likes to take photos. He hogs the glory spot on the points at the beach with his big red pig XR650 and scurries around like a Beagle as soon as the bikes stop. He is also the last guy to saddle up when we are leaving. I think Curtis took over 1500 photos.

Tony Herald - ME! I have ridden a whole lot of observed trials. I bought a XR 250 on a whim. I then got a moto license and flew to Virginia and rode a KLR back to NM. I like to ride motorcycles, especially with a great group in an incredible place like Baja. My first trip to Baja was on a borrowed DRZ. I bought Casper the DRZ not long after my first Baja trip. I have a trials mentality when I ride. It gets me in trouble. I also like to document trips like these. Photos and a few videos. I am also that guy that seems to get into trouble. Someone has to be a pain in the ass on these trips. Big Sprocket laughs at my jokes. I live near ABQ and part time in Kentucky.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

Chris Corcoran is Team Magoo. Chris is the brain child of this trip. We all can thank Captain Magoo everyday we bring up Baja memories. Chris has an arsenal of bikes to choose from and he left the Harley (a friends in his garage and it looks silly next to a KTM, Vee Strom, a Sherco trials bike and a XR650). Chris took his well sorted XR650 and I think he surprised himself on what a Baja Beast that bike is. Magoo is the nucleus of our team and his Spanish skilz and banking skilz are a large part of making our trip so easy and fun. Chris also works tirelessly as a board member of NMOHVA. Our yearly Sipapu ShinDig and Monticello Box organized rides are a large part of Chris's efforts with NMOHVA. Thank you Chris

Drum Roll.....................
Team Magoo - Part Deaux

Day 1

This ride report will be a collective effort from all 10 Team Magoo members including Team Dead End. Photo bombs and witty commentary to follow. I don't think I'm the only one that smells fish tacos in the air and the weight of riding boots sitting on the beach in BAJA!

AteamNM screwed with this post 02-28-2015 at 07:34 PM
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:25 AM   #2
Bear Creek West
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Wow, even though you had me at Baha, your team description makes me want to tag along even more!

Must be great living in NM within striking distance of such great riding.

Bring on the updates!
Bear Creek West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:30 AM   #3
belleringer
standing on the pegs

Oddometer: 121
from the ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
BAJA

Beaches

Badlands

Brews

10 riders collected in Florence Arizona, Baja bound again. The recipe for a Baja cocktail was shaken, stirred and served up with a taste of dust, sand, salt, sweat, sun and smiles. Kevin Gallaher led Team Magoo on a second trip, 2013 for myself and a few others followed Big Sprocket all over Baja. The deadly hook of Baja was set, the taste of fish tacos and deep sand riding, missions, sunsets that make a post card, wildness and remoteness, little villages and lonely roads. That sweet taste of local cervezza's and the satisfaction of sharing a ride with honorable members of Team Magoo. Oh what a cocktail served to us all. Top Shelf Ingredients. The taste, ecstasy!

Our team consists of Brain & Laurie Behling from Sipapu New Mexico (Taos). Both have been riding all over the country, trials riders and world travlers. This dynamic duo were a team of their own. We marveled at the determination and cheerful spirit in difficult times. Laurie rides a blinged out farkle queen Husky 250, she rides it standing 90% of the time. Brian is strapped into a KTM 500 that he managed so well in crazy fesh fesh fields. This ionic couple were admired daily by all of us. I have known Brian for over 25 years.

Bruce Bolander, is the ultimate team member on any team, including his all state selection in basketball this year. Motocross racing, skiing, riding a bicycle from Canada to Mexico, the list goes on and on. Bruce grew up and still lives at Sipapu ski resort and carries all the skills you could ever put on a Swiss army knife. Bruce was our sweeper and his efforts were so valuable and appreciated. Bruce rails his KTM 500. Bruce is kind of old but he acts 35 and backs it up. Chopo is also the mcGiver of Team Magoo. Do not, repeat DO NOT try to ride fast or ski fast with Bruce.

Kevin Gallaher, AKA Big Sprocket. Kevin led us around 2 years ago and threw the wood to us all. We were truly missing our all star rider from last year Chuck Sutton, otherwise the whole Team Magoo was there to follow and ride our brains out. Kevin resides close to Baja in Apache Junction Arizona and now professionally guides dual sport rides all over the 4 corners. While out riding solo in the Pacific Northwest last year on his 990, Kevin managed to break is leg and shatter stuff out in the wilds. After a dramatic self rescue he made his way back to Arizona to rehab. Kevin is a work out maniac so he pushed his PT to the limits and against all doctors orders and common sense piloted his KTM 690 as if nothing ever happened. Mounting & dismounting on his 6 foot tall 690 was a dance to say the least.

Ray Roblin, Dallas Texas. Long time member of Team New Mexico and near 100 national trials competitions nation wide. Ray has been visiting the Land of Enchantment for decades. Ray made all DR 650 owners world wide proud riding his Suzuki beast in virgin to Ray desert conditions. Ray weeps of common sense and part of his style is just solid riding in all conditions. A big bike and a newb to Baja Ray earned his miles. Ray is also my best friend.

Andrew La Rosa is a newb to motorcycles and well the whole gambit of dual sport riding. Andrew assembled a basket case XR400 and the bike never missed a beat. Truly a great bike for Baja. Andrew drew on a lot of road racing bicycle experience and after meeting his new neighbor Big Sprocket, Andrew has like 3 motorcycles in his garage. Once the Baja Bug got into Andrews blood, he was hooked. Andrew just rode so well, everyday was a self guided discovery. Pressure, standing, the magic tempo and cadence of kick starting his Honda, loosing a tail bag of tools leaving Mikes Sky Ranch and adding the magical duct tape fix to riding boots only heightened the whole damn experience of riding Baja. Job well done Andrew.

Rob Byrd or Doc Rob lives in Albuquerque. Rob writes the book on consistency and dependability. Rob was so well sorted, an obvious veteran of dual sport and adventure riding. Always ready to go, always right in the thick of things providing his cheeky smile and assistance. Rob is that guy that quietly goes about his business and rides his DRZ 400 with precession and technique. I know that he and Curtis have put in a ton of miles together. I earned a few knuckle 5's from Rob, made my day.

Curtis Kohl - NMTrailBoss. Curtis is part geographer (map freak X100), a historian, a mechanic, a GPS guru and incredible navigator, a trials rider and a dual sport rider that has more moto experience in his ADV finger than I have in my whole body. Want to know about a mountain range, river, abandoned rail road or mines, killer routes in Death Valley or Jackson Wyoming, ask Curtis. Curtis is the white filling that holds the Oreo cookie together. Curtis is a guide and a navigator, that guy who is always counting heads and providing the pep talk. Oh one last comment that is a must to understand TrailBoss, he likes to take photos. He hogs the glory spot on the points at the beach with his big red pig XR650 and scurries around like a Beagle as soon as the bikes stop. He is also the last guy to saddle up when we are leaving. I think Curtis took over 1500 photos.

Tony Herald - ME! I have ridden a whole lot of observed trials. I bought a XR 250 on a whim. I then got a moto license and flew to Virginia and rode a KLR back to NM. I like to ride motorcycle, especially with a great group in an incredible place like Baja. My first trip to Baja was on a borrowed DRZ. I bought Casper the DRZ not long after my first Baja trip. I have a trials mentality when I ride. It gets me in trouble. I also like to document trips like these. Photos and a few videos. I am also that guy that seems to get into trouble. Someone has to be a pain in the ass on these trips. Big Sprocket laughs at my jokes. I live near ABQ and part time in Kentucky.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

Chris Corcoran is Team Magoo. Chris is the brian child of this trip. We all can thank Captain Magoo everyday we bring up Baja memories. Chris has an arsenal of bikes to choose from and he left the Harley (a friends in his garage and it looks silly next to a KTM, Vee Strom, a Sherco trials bike and a XR650). Chris took his well sorted XR650 and I think he surprised himself on what a Baja Beast that bike is. Magoo is nucleus of our team and his Spanish skilz and banking skilz are a large part of making our trip so easy and fun. Chris also works tirelessly as a board member of NMOHVA. Our yearly Sipapu ShinDig and Monticello Box organized rides are a large part of Chris's efforts with NMOHVA. Thank you Chris

Drum Roll.....................
Team Magoo - Part Deaux

Day 1

This ride report will be a collective effort from all 10 Team Magoo members including Team Dead End. Photo bombs and witty commentary to follow. I don't think I'm the only one that smells fish tacos in the air and the weight of riding boots sitting on the beach in BAJA!
an epic trip; great friends and fresh sand for everyone, no lines and no waiting when the big chief gets the hat on. the first day had what i thought was everything i could imagine but it was only a taste of the good ride ...
belleringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,406

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
dano619
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
All in, loved the last one---great intro!!
dano619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #6
OrangeDreamCycler
Elderly Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I am a fellow NorthernNewMexican and envious as Hell, I was just there @ X-mas time. Now this is seducing me to return to that drink called ECTASea. Baja is such a wonderful place to disappear. Not sure what it is but there is something special about that spit of land. "Must be the taco's". Hasta la vista muchachos y muchacha. Happy Trials. ODC.
Not all who Wander are Lost.
Explorer of Options.
OrangeDreamCycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #7
NevBlu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Baja Norte, yes

Ride, eat, sleep, and repeat. I will be reading too.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
docwyte
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Let's read!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #9
Sledred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Sweet!!! Looking forward to the rest of the ride.
Sledred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 6,345
Great intro. Tony!!

This was indeed a great trip with an outstanding team of riders of all skill levels. A few minor mishaps along the way but we worked through the minor issues as a team and had a great experience that I'm sure we will not soon forget! Let the stories begin!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 740
In, ready to live vicariously through you guys!
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #12
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,608

another AteamNM ride report in the works!

Baja is a special place, yesterday was Coco's 78th birthday!

_Magoo_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #13
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,773
Team Magoo in Baja?

I'm on that LIKE BARTEK ON A TACO!!

Go,Tony, go!

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #14
borscht zanetti
Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post

Day 1

I am in. Great pics ! Can you tell me where the above map is from? Or is it software ? Love the detail.
borscht zanetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #15
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by borscht zanetti View Post
Can you tell me where the above map is from? Or is it software ? Love the detail.
It is a screen shot of our day 1 track on the Cartografia E32 Mexico software on Mapsource. As you zoom in, there is much more detail and good topography. These were great maps/software for this ride and I highly recommend them for any Baja/Mexico riding.