User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,485
Three Wheeled Toys

Trikes are awesome. (Hacks too, but their awesomeness has to live in the Hacks forum.)

I've got 3 of them. Two are the balloon tired ATC200 trikes. They've got racks and reverse and live on my cousins farm.
The other is an ATC350X.
It's a perfect mix of off-road MX riding and Chaos. Honda did a great job building it (them) and unfortunately had to stop.

I'm sure if people wore helmets and weren't always riding around hammered or letting 8 little kids with no helmets ride them at the same time, they would not have the stigma that they do.

There are still parts available for them, where I am they can still be insured and registered and they're easier to maintain/store/manage than newer, bigger machines.

Because they were discontinued by the factories; people have been updating, modifying and building their own. People have used newer 450 motors in 250R chassis', installed inverted forks on many and have built all sorts of weird NOS/CR500 powered dune/drag machines.

If I'm out with my ATV buddies, I'm on the trike. As I'm a little tired of struggling with their lifted, big tire 4x4 routes we go on; I've made the decision to do the same. The 350X is getting a 27" up front and a couple 26" Zillas in the back. Just got the front installed yesterday. Rears need to be ordered yet.

What are your stories? Your modifications?

Here's one:
Quads are just trikes with a training wheel. True story.
ATC350X
550MXC

dirtydeeds screwed with this post 06-26-2014 at 10:30 AM Reason: add pic
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,244
I really like those Zillas, not a 3 wheeler but I run them on the Rokon.

99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post

Nice rides!

What would an ATC handle like with an IRS? Worse than solid axle?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Nice rides!

What would an ATC handle like with an IRS? Worse than solid axle?

I've always wondered that myself. If a guy scored an IRS KTM525 quad and grafted a trike front end onto it... Well, that would be a unique machine.

There would be some advantages. At speed, an obstacle hitting one rear wheel wouldn't throw you off balance as much.
However, It would be much harder to slide the rear end in corners.

Someone needs to try.
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 06-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post

I have something similar. It's only 1-wheel drive though. This is when I first started going through it:

ATC350X
550MXC
Old 06-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Some more about the Zilla:

Some of the riding I do is with quads. We tend to hit a lot of muskeg and deep holes. As such, they (and many others) have replaced their tires for larger diameter ones. The ruts are deeper and the factory size trike tires are lacking.
My plan is to replace the 23.5" tire up front with a 27" and the 2 rear 22" will go up to 25 or 26" tires.
Rear rims are a standard 4x110 bolt pattern. It's easy to find a larger diameter rim for this. The offset means I've got to be a bit picky.
The front on the other hand is a 4x170 pattern on an 11" rim. That's not easy to deal with. At this time, I haven't found a skinny 27" tire that'll go onto an 11" rim. If you want selection; you've got to have a 12".

I bought a couple used rims for $50. They were 12"x8" steel take-offs from a quad.
I knocked the hub of the rim out of it.

With the idea that I could make my own center for it.
I went to a steel shop looking for plate. They told me that I couldn't build a rim. Who the f%#k are they to tell me that I can't do something!
So, I picked up some scrap 3/16 plate steel from a different shop.

To start, I used a punch to make a center mark, then used a compass to mark a circle. I continued marking the steel by dissecting it into 8 quadrants. 4 of these quadrants are for the bolt pattern. I added a circle of D170mm and punched the intersecting lines for the bolt holes.

The other 4 quadrant lines are to cut out the center in the same manner as the original wheel.

Eventually, it gets cut and drilled to look like this:

The original Alum rim has a 10mm thick center. As the steel I used is approx 5mm: the steel center needed to be offset by 5mm from center.

Using Tupperware, a lid for a container of zip ties and a zip disc for the grinder, I made a 99mm high stand for the steel center and place the rim over it. I tacked it in place,

Then the time consuming part:
I mounted it on the hub with the axle and spun it. I didn't have it entirely true. I cut 2 of the tacks, beat it with a hammer and retacked it. It took awhile to get it but with patience, swearing and ignorance it came out pretty good. I mounted the assembly onto the trike. I had exactly 20mm between the edge of the rim and the fork on each side. It was center. I was happy.

Next, I mounted a 27x9x12 mudzilla onto it.

The real test is to see if the larger in every way tire would fit between the forks and not rub. It fit with about 5mm to spare on each side.

Again, checking fit and balance I gave it a spin. Here's a link:

http://youtu.be/6-P51SA2PzA

The rim is off again and I'll finish welding out the center.

Next step is to actually find bigger rims and rubber for the back. And depending on how much power these things take away in sure I'll be regearing, too.
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,244
Nice work on the wheel.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Thanks.

Through another forum, this came up:

http://www.tpctrikes.com/tpctrikes_005.htm
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

It's all together now. 27" on front and 25" on rear.

Now, to go out against some 900cc, $12000, 4x4 quads...
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 07-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 807
Here was my 1985 Honda Big Red 250ES. Bought her for $350. Rode her for a few years before trading her for a 1911. We were moving and a pistol is a lot smaller. Rode this at a few atv rallies. They would do a double take everytime they went by me not believing that a three wheeler went through the same trail, and that they still exist. I had mud flaps with the chrome trucker girls and a 35watt hid headlight. Also had a 2k winch on the front rack which was a horrible idea. I never needed the winch and it would help rip the bars out of my hands. It came with brand new maijer plastics and had the original cobra exhaust from the 80's. The big reds were awesome as fuck.

1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Three Wheeled Toys

I got a few double-takes out on the river last winter.
A guy on a heavily modded Banshee was pretty happy to see a trike burning down the ice at 90kph.

He said it was the only thing out there that was more wild than his ride.

ATC350X
550MXC

dirtydeeds screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 06:10 PM Reason: add pic
Old 07-11-2014, 03:22 AM   #12
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
We had a blast when I was younger on some Honda my brother had. Three wheelers were my first exposure as a young teen to libtardian over-reaction. 60 Minutes and Congress did some studies that basically discovered three wheelers were dangerous if you were drunk, inexperienced, untrained, or immature. Then they made the sale of new ones illegal. Using the same standards just about everything on the planet would be illegal.

Rant over. I apologize for the detour into CS&M territory.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
We had a blast when I was younger on some Honda my brother had. Three wheelers were my first exposure as a young teen to libtardian over-reaction. 60 Minutes and Congress did some studies that basically discovered three wheelers were dangerous if you were drunk, inexperienced, untrained, or immature. Then they made the sale of new ones illegal. Using the same standards just about everything on the planet would be illegal.
Agreed. Not illegal though. For the sake of 3-wheeled education, (There is no 'E' is CS&M ) here a a cut/paste from TPC site:

"There is a general misconception that 3-wheelers are banned. Even many 3-wheeler owners believe they are banned from future production. Many tabloid news shows tried to eliminate them by misleading hype and inaccurate facts. The media frenzy got the CPSC involved.

The CPSC in its report admitted that there was NO INHERENT design flaw with 3-wheelers. They further concluded that most accidents were due to operator error and predominantly by children on adult-sized machines.

In April of 1988, the five “Big” manufacturers agreed to the CONSENT DECREE ACT.

The Consent Decree Act expired in April 27, 1998. However, it only applied to manufacturers involved in the case. Those manufacturers included Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Polaris. No other manufacturer was bound by the Consent Decree Act until Arctic Cat joined on Sept 27, 1996.

On September 9, 1998, the ATV Action Plan was introduced. It basically extended the former Consent Decree Act on a Voluntary basis.

Yamaha, Kawasaki, American Suzuki, Polaris and Arctic Cat have voluntary agreed to participate. However, Arctic Cat has only agreed for 5 years. Also, any company can withdraw from the agreement with a 60-day notice.

Neither the Consent Decree Act nor the ATV Action Plan has ever applied to any other manufacturer."
ATC350X
550MXC

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: