a 5 qt. works just fine
crampfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #197
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I don't know why I never worked at Acme. Always chasing the almighty $$ I suppose. They are still regarded as one of the best bakeries in the country. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what they have done and continue to do. Semifreddis bread has never been great, but it sure was a good experience for me! Have you done the 5:00pm line up at Tartine in the city? I'd love to try their bread. It's supposed to be pretty impressive!

I can't believe you've been to my place! How cool! That oven was a Llopis Spanish oven. Wood fired. The hearth rotated, and if the oven was kept full it was an unbelievable oven. Whoever designed it understood oven design as well as bread baking exceptionally well. It is a perfect design in many ways. I really miss it!
I haven't done the Tartine thing, I've heard about it of course. This area is pretty amazing for people who like bread.
Essential bakery in seattle has a rotating hearth oven like the one you had, only bigger (I think). Pretty impressive- the commercial oven that I baked in was pretty uneven, and bread had to be taken out and rotated to get good results.

My sister in law actually worked at Seven Stars a couple years ago. She brought us there (before she worked there) the one time we visited Providence.

Now I guess I should go read through your homebrewing thread- I took a year or so off, but I'm back brewing my own again as of last weekend.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #198
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
My sister in law actually worked at Seven Stars a couple years ago. She brought us there (before she worked there) the one time we visited Providence.
Who was she? Do you know which location she worked at? We moved our production offsite 4.5 yrs. ago. Was it at one of the retail stores? Small world...
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #199
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
You bastidge. I really didn't need to see that.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #200
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,676
My latest try. Made a really good meatload sammich

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #201
pilot
Slacker Moderator

That looks great!

I made six loaves today. I have been out of town and out of bread, so I had to catch up. I used that percentage chart for the first batch and it worked very well. The dough came out of the mixer ready to go into the rising box.

I also made some whole wheat. I froze some and I'll take three loaves to my parents tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #202
pilot
Slacker Moderator

So who's baking this week?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #203
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I wish I was, have not had time this week. Still trying to source a good/cheap stone too.

Also, I use a reg mixing bowl then cover with plastic wrap. I tried it with a seal type tupperware thing, but the lid looked like it was going to explode, what is the best/simple container to mix and store for rising? using so much plastic wrap seems like a waste.

AngryScot screwed with this post 03-02-2011 at 10:48 AM
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #204
pilot
Slacker Moderator

I made a pizza Monday night. I kinda winged it on the dough, but it came out fine. The stone comes in handy.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #205
AngryScot

kneed it in why don't you! get it?! baking humor!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #206
Iaone
And there I was!

Oddometer: 99
I've been working on perfecting my cornbread skills. I like moist dense cornbread. I always cook my bread in cast iron, either a skillet or dutch oven. Bread is very addicting!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #207
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
I wish I was, have not had time this week. Still trying to source a good/cheap stone too.

Also, I use a reg mixing bowl then cover with plastic wrap. I tried it with a seal type tupperware thing, but the lid looked like it was going to explode, what is the best/simple container to mix and store for rising? using so much plastic wrap seems like a waste.
I like to use a 3 quart tupperware type container that I have. It usually does pop the lid at some point, but as long as it doesn't fly off, no harm.
If you wanted to mail order a baking stone (kiln shelf), I like seattle pottery supply. My kiln shelf is 14 x 16 x 5/8", if that helps any. Here is a 16 x 16 x 5/8" kiln shelf for $21.50, if that fits. They also have 1" thick versions, and they have 12x12" in both thicknesses too. I don't see any 14x16.

After a bit of googling, there's a place called ceramics SF that has similar prices for the same sort of thing. You want a rectangular mullite kiln shelf, probably in 5/8" thickness. 1" would be nice, but you'd really have to let it heat up for quite a while- if that's ok, go for it.

zak
(2 batches of bread, plus a batch of banana bread this weekend)

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #208
AngryScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
I like to use a 3 quart tupperware type container that I have. It usually does pop the lid at some point, but as long as it doesn't fly off, no harm.
If you wanted to mail order a baking stone (kiln shelf), I like seattle pottery supply. My kiln shelf is 14 x 16 x 5/8", if that helps any. Here is a 16 x 16 x 5/8" kiln shelf for $21.50, if that fits. They also have 1" thick versions, and they have 12x12" in both thicknesses too. I don't see any 14x16.

After a bit of googling, there's a place called ceramics SF that has similar prices for the same sort of thing. You want a rectangular mullite kiln shelf, probably in 5/8" thickness. 1" would be nice, but you'd really have to let it heat up for quite a while- if that's ok, go for it.

zak
(2 batches of bread, plus a batch of banana bread this weekend)
sweet thanks, for the info. Will look them up, might be a few place here in the peninsula too perhaps. Just wasn't sure what to ask for. I like the kiln idea.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #209
levain
STILL Jim Williams

I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I'm resisting the urge to comment too much on this thread. I'm really enjoying just lurking and reading the banter., It's super cool to see what you guys are doing!

Here's an exception though that I thought you'd find interesting. Forgive all the photos throughout the day, but I thought you'd find it interesting.

With that in mind, I started a Thurs bread thing at my bakery. http://sevenstarsbakery.blogspot.com/

This weeks bread is a bread from a town outside Rome called Genzano. They make it different than I do, but that's because I can. I pretty much need to rush out of the bakery after bread comes out of the oven to get it to the stores, so finished bread photos will probably have to wait until tonight, but for now you can follow along if you like.

In the bowl

Just put into tubs. These 3 iPhone pictures are back to back, hopefully showing how wet and sloppy the dough is.

1971 Lambretta DL
Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #210
levain
STILL Jim Williams

First fold

For this bread, I'll do a fold every 45 min. for the first 3 hrs. of bulk fermentation. It'll get an additional hour, for a total of 4 hrs. in the tub. Compared to your no-knead breads that doesn't seem like very much time, but this bread also has some of our levain in it (20%) with a little yeast.

For most of our doughs, we do our folds in the tubs with a little oil to keep the dough from sticking. For really wet doughs like this one, I prefer to fold on the table with a little flour, then flour in the tubs. Seems to work better..

Just dumped onto table. I had to get to the fold really fast, it wanted to run

First fold. Notice how it kinda "sits up" more.

and, in the tub. If you compare this really bad picture to the really bad pictures just out of the bowl, you'll see that the dough is starting to take shape. There's a little structure there.

1971 Lambretta DL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: