User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #541
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,110
that bread looks very tasty indeed BUT I wouldn't use its name in the context of flavour... It has a different meaning in several other languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
My wife makes a Finnish coffee bread called pulla. It has a cardomum flavor and is very tasty.

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #542
YBViking
Bedroom Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
a mere 195 mile trip to get there ...

Geode-

PM me if you head up this way- i wanna see what those light brackets look like on your scoot'

(and i'm up for the behind the curtain tour of the Jim's operation...)

@JIm- sorry i didn't see your post otherwise i woulda stopped in proper to say howdy.

Life's too short for hate...or ex-wives, cheap booze and the road not taken

Cigarettes are nails in my coffin- but I pounded them in

I'm going to Hell on the express bus.....That poor NUN........

I'm always auditioning the next future ex-mrs YBViking- PM me for an appt
YBViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #543
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
In the months since this thread inspired me to bake my first loaf, I have made dozens of loaves of bread, of many variations. My family, friends and neighbors all love the bread; i typically make 3-5 loaves a week.

I have been using mostly variations on the nytimes/Lahey recipe. A question or two about the "why" of some parts of the recipe. The recipe has a few steps that i follow but don't really understand.

What does the folding do? Does it matter, and to what effect, if I fold once, twice, three, or four times?

The recipe says to fold, let it rest for 15 mins, then move to a cloth, and let it rise for 2 more hours. Why? Could I not fold it and immediately place it on the cloth? Would there be an ill effect if I folded it and let it sit for, say, an hour, before moving it?

I think if I understood better what is being accomplished, what is the bread doing in the folding and second rise, it would be enlightening.

thanks

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #544
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScarecrow View Post
In the months since this thread inspired me to bake my first loaf, I have made dozens of loaves of bread, of many variations. My family, friends and neighbors all love the bread; i typically make 3-5 loaves a week.

I have been using mostly variations on the nytimes/Lahey recipe. A question or two about the "why" of some parts of the recipe. The recipe has a few steps that i follow but don't really understand.

What does the folding do? Does it matter, and to what effect, if I fold once, twice, three, or four times?

The recipe says to fold, let it rest for 15 mins, then move to a cloth, and let it rise for 2 more hours. Why? Could I not fold it and immediately place it on the cloth? Would there be an ill effect if I folded it and let it sit for, say, an hour, before moving it?

I think if I understood better what is being accomplished, what is the bread doing in the folding and second rise, it would be enlightening.

thanks
In many ways, mixing is a necessary evil. Fermentation and time will develop bread dough. That lahey recipe proves that theory. Mix the slop together, let it sit overnight, give it a fold, shape, proof, bake. Sounds simple and it is, but if you tried to make the bread quickly, you wouldn't get the strength that it gets simply from sitting there. It's a pretty complex process.

So, what does folding do? We fold most of our doughs 2 times during a 3 hr. bulk fermentation. We use a pre-ferment, or another piece of old yeasted dough, or sourdough, made the day before so we can make bread in 3 hrs. bulk. Our sourdoughs then go an additional 5 or 6 hrs. The Lahey recipe doesn't use a pre-ferment and instead relies on a "straight dough" fermented for a long time. In many ways, they're the same. In others, not so much.

In this case, you're folding the dough just to bring it together as much as anything else. I would guess that at his bakery they're actually folding the dough multiple times, rather than just once. If you add another fold, it'll get stronger, and you'll likely get more volume. He's recommending the fold 15 min. before shaping to give the dough some strength. You're basically giving it what we call pre-shape. A little strength before final shaping. You can certainly give it another fold or two, or three. Every time the dough will get stronger and you'll get more volume. In my bakery, I consider a fold equal to 1 min. mixing on 2nd speed.

If it works for your schedule, give the dough the same bulk fermentation and add a fold half way through. Or, one 2 hrs. before shaping and one 1 hr. before shaping. See what you think. You'll be amazed at the difference in the dough.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #545
Jon_Garfio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Im glad to found this post!!!
This is the bread that makes my wife:

I saw all your home breads and there is a high level!!!
Jon_Garfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #546
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319
^^ looks yummy!
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #547
Jon_Garfio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
^^ looks yummy!
many thanks!! yes it is yummy.
Jon_Garfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #548
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Garfio View Post
many thanks!! yes it is yummy.
Tell us about it. What's it called, how does she make it?

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #549
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
I can't believe I was linked to this thread through a question. A total awesome find. I've got a lot of reading to do here. Plus I need a bed sheet for a bib to catch all the drool from the pics.

Thanks all for sharing your incredible skill and success with us!
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #550
facetjoint
TONKA

Need a little guidance here. Seriously most days I need a LOT of guidance! But I usually seem to manage. All joking aside really. And I am trying to digest this thread page be page! Fascinating stuff really.! So here goes

What do I need to know about obtaining a Dutch oven to make bread in? Size, cast iron, any particulars I need to be aware of in the do and don't area of buying one? Any help is appreciated!
Thanks Bill
Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #551
facetjoint
TONKA

Whole whaet flour questions?

I bake a lot of breads, fruit breads, muffins, and rolls. I prefer to use as much of the healthy stuff that I can reasonably afford to use. As I give it all away. And give the stuff to a local food kitchen. Not looking for atta' boys here. But I've read a lot here about King Arthur's wheat flour. And not to knock the product. It is expensive. I've found it to have a very strong wheat taste in the finished baked product. And thus do not use it anymore. I try and stay away from most all of white flour as well. With the exception of very large quantities of muffins for the food kitchen.

I presently use pretty exclusive Bob's Red Mill whole wheat flour in my fruit breads. Anybody else have this experience? Or can weigh in on the subject? I find the bulk flour products at the natural type food stores are more expensive than I can purchase Bob's flour on sale. Please note that I am not in any way affiliated with Bob's Red Mill at all!

Once again, I'm looking for information and ideas as well.

Thanks Bill
Old 04-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #552
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,274
Hi, Bill, welcome to the bread nuts thread.

I just use whatever flour is on sale. Seriously. Others use the good stuff.

I'm using an old cast iron covered pot that is the size of a 6 quart Dutch oven. We use it for making soups and stews and stuff, too. Just use whatever you can find, it will work.

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #553
facetjoint
TONKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Hi, Bill, welcome to the bread nuts thread.

I just use whatever flour is on sale. Seriously. Others use the good stuff.

I'm using an old cast iron covered pot that is the size of a 6 quart Dutch oven. We use it for making soups and stews and stuff, too. Just use whatever you can find, it will work.
Wow, that sounds way too uncomplicated and simple! But I certainly do not need to reinvent the wheel! Several 2nd hand stores around here. so I ought to be able to score a Dutch oven fairly easy.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #554
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScarecrow View Post
Stretching and folding works the gluten in the dough into an organized pattern, firming and "strengthening" the dough so that it holds it's shape and will rise better.

You can get the same effect by mixing or kneading it more, but it's hard to do that by hand with wet doughs, and a quick stretch and fold adds less air into the dough than kneading. Somebody told me once a stretch, fold, then rest was about the same as 5 minutes of hand kneading.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #555
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 24,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetjoint View Post
I bake a lot of breads, fruit breads, muffins, and rolls. I prefer to use as much of the healthy stuff that I can reasonably afford to use. As I give it all away. And give the stuff to a local food kitchen. Not looking for atta' boys here. But I've read a lot here about King Arthur's wheat flour. And not to knock the product. It is expensive. I've found it to have a very strong wheat taste in the finished baked product. And thus do not use it anymore. I try and stay away from most all of white flour as well. With the exception of very large quantities of muffins for the food kitchen.

I presently use pretty exclusive Bob's Red Mill whole wheat flour in my fruit breads. Anybody else have this experience? Or can weigh in on the subject? I find the bulk flour products at the natural type food stores are more expensive than I can purchase Bob's flour on sale. Please note that I am not in any way affiliated with Bob's Red Mill at all!

Once again, I'm looking for information and ideas as well.

Thanks Bill
I'm sort of associated with Bob's Red Mill, so I say everyone should use that for everything they bake.

Seriously, it's good stuff.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: