Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #631
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Here's the recipe:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

WRT cookbooks, I use a variety, including the Sunset Cookbook of Breads, ad Bernard Clayton's The Complete Book of Breads. I think the regulars in this thread will have some good recommendations.
That is way, way to simple! Even so much so that I can even understand it. Now a few questions if I may please? Can you sub. whole wheat flour instead of the white flour? If so how much whole wheat can be substituted? Also what about adding fruits, nuts, etc.?

Thanks
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #632
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetjoint View Post
That is way, way to simple! Even so much so that I can even understand it. Now a few questions if I may please? Can you sub. whole wheat flour instead of the white flour? If so how much whole wheat can be substituted? Also what about adding fruits, nuts, etc.?

Thanks
According to the information I have about the recipe:
"Author Mark Bittman reports success in using up to 30% whole grain flour, up to 50% whole wheat flour, and up to 20% rye flour.

When adding flavors --caraway seeds, chopped olives, onions, cheese, walnuts, raisins -- Mr. Bittman suggests adding after you've mixed the dough, but they can also be folded in before the dough's second rising."

I usually make the recipe myself with 50% whole wheat and 50% white flour. I've never added in mix-ins, but obviously you can. You would probably want to use the same proportions suggested in other bread recipes, usually about one cup of add-in per loaf.

I think that the regulars in this thread will have more comments and ideas, too.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #633
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Quote:
According to the information I have about the recipe:
"Author Mark Bittman reports success in using up to 30% whole grain flour, up to 50% whole wheat flour, and up to 20% rye flour.

When adding flavors --caraway seeds, chopped olives, onions, cheese, walnuts, raisins -- Mr. Bittman suggests adding after you've mixed the dough, but they can also be folded in before the dough's second rising."

I usually make the recipe myself with 50% whole wheat and 50% white flour. I've never added in mix-ins, but obviously you can. You would probably want to use the same proportions suggested in other bread recipes, usually about one cup of add-in per loaf.

I think that the regulars in this thread will have more comments and ideas, too.
Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I learned one $$$ lesson on trying to make home made cinnamon rolls using 100% whole wheat. It was damn expensive bird food to say the least.

About fruits etc. I was thinking like the old traditional raisin bread and see how that goes then move on up from there.

Thanks again!
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #634
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,037
In general, more whole grain of any sort will;
-absorb more water. Don't be afraid to add more
-ferment faster thanks to the bran & germ. drop temps or drop yeast. Either works. I prefer dropping yeast always since cooler temps don't make better bread. The idea is to control the fermentation.
-make denser bread

One of the cool things about bread is that if you try something you don't like, do something different next time! It's just bread. It'll still be edible

I would NOT recommend adding any "extras-nuts, olives etc" AFTER your fermentation has begun. They should always be added at mixing. Preferably towards the very end. If you add these chunky ingredients after the dough has started fermenting, you risk losing volume, ripping the dough and losing all those nice air bubbles (we call it hole structure) that makes bread interesting and worth your time. What you can do is add these things while giving a series of folds. We fold our Olive bread twice and we incorporate our olives at that point. There is no rough handling at this stage. Simply spreading the olives out, folding the dough over itself a couple times and your done. Do that a couple times an hr apart and your good.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #635
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetjoint View Post
Can you sub. whole wheat flour instead of the white flour? If so how much whole wheat can be substituted?
You can substitute a little, or a lot, but you're going to get different results accordingly.

WW won't rise as much, it just tears up those great gluten strands that help the dough rise. The bread will get denser and denser as you add a higher percentage.

If you want to get around that, you need to experiment with the recipe. You can add more water, you can drop the yeast and increase the fermentation time, you have to handle the dough more gently to allow it to rise.

If you're a non-purist you could consider adding more pure gluten to the mix as an additive.

But really, you should just get used to the flavour and texture of a different style of bread if you go 50% - 100% whole wheat on a loaf. There's a place in the world for a hearty, dense, low-air bubble bread, it all doesn't have to be artisan white bread with big hole structure.

Practically, I find I can substitute up to 1/3 WW in a batch without serious adverse affects, and get something people don't notice much difference with. However, I'm using good high-protein Canuck bread flour for the white flour portion too, so that goes a long way, YMMV.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #636
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 379
Thumb

Quote:
Here's the recipe:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

WRT cookbooks, I use a variety, including the Sunset Cookbook of Breads, ad Bernard Clayton's The Complete Book of Breads. I think the regulars in this thread will have some good recommendations.
Thanks for the link! I should have made the connection that Mark Bittman was involved. My favorite cookbook, and the one that I got my sandwich bread recipe from, is one of his.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #637
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,978
I have a problem... Slits on the top rarely ever do anything for my simple breads.

With or without slitting it I can get rounded tops, or I can get flat tops like... a cake layer:

Do you guys think this is from the top hitting the lid? I leave the lid on for the first half of cooking to keep the moisture in, like when using a cast iron pan flipped and on top of another cast iron pan (so like a dutch oven, but not as deep).

The bread seemed like it had risen quite well before cooking.

I feel like I should break open a container of chocolate cake icing and coat the top of it, lol.

Now, admittedly I put some Adobo seasoning in the dough, but it still looked like it rose just fine.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 07:33 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #638
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Bread Bakers Guild of America Open House

Bakeries nationwide are opening up today for a nationwide open house sponsored by the Bread Bakers Guild of America. This is an opportunity to visit your local (guild members) bakery and see behind the scenes.

If anyone is in Southern New England, come by our place! Address is on our Facebook page. Make sure you introduce yourself!

Here's a list of bakeries participating.

Sorry for the late notice!

Jim
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 11-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #639
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Finally started the first fire in the new oven today.

I need to start small and over 4 or 5 days build it up to a bigger fire. There's a lot of moisture that needs to driven out of the oven!

And, the final oven. It still needs the chimney finished, but the oven is basically done. Pizzas next week sometime. Bread the next day!

1971 Lambretta DL
Old 11-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #640
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Finally started the first fire in the new oven today.

I need to start small and over 4 or 5 days build it up to a bigger fire. There's a lot of moisture that needs to driven out of the oven!

And, the final oven. It still needs the chimney finished, but the oven is basically done. Pizzas next week sometime. Bread the next day!

So cool Looking forward to seeing the pizza & bread pics
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #641
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I have a problem... Slits on the top rarely ever do anything for my simple breads.

With or without slitting it I can get rounded tops, or I can get flat tops like... a cake layer:

Do you guys think this is from the top hitting the lid? I leave the lid on for the first half of cooking to keep the moisture in, like when using a cast iron pan flipped and on top of another cast iron pan (so like a dutch oven, but not as deep).

The bread seemed like it had risen quite well before cooking.

I feel like I should break open a container of chocolate cake icing and coat the top of it, lol.

Now, admittedly I put some Adobo seasoning in the dough, but it still looked like it rose just fine.
Try it without the lid, and a pan of water in the stove with it.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #642
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
[/url]
That's really cool, Jim!

I do have one little thing I have to say about it, though. I would not have put wood decking right up to the front of it. You are liable to be dragging embers out on to the deck.

I haven't been baking lately. I've cut way back on my bread consumption, so I don't dare bake bread and have to smell it and not eat it.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #643
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
So my sister in law from the Boston area was visiting this week, and naturally I had to bake up some bread for her. We got to talking about bread, and I explained how I learned a lot about bread baking from ADVRider, of all places. She enjoyed my bread, but then she went on to say that nothing could compare to this bakery she had stumbled on to . . . "in Providence somewhere. Now what was the name of that again?" she mused.

"Providence? It wasn't Seven Stars, was it?" I asked.

"Yes! That's it! AWESOME bread there. Just amazing!"

We had a good laugh when I told her that was the guy I learned so much from on ADVRider. So, small world, and thanks Jim.

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #644
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,084
After 6 months without a kitchen, I'm back in the lower 48 and made my first loaf of no knead since April..... Damn I missed that bread.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #645
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScarecrow View Post
So my sister in law from the Boston area was visiting this week, and naturally I had to bake up some bread for her. We got to talking about bread, and I explained how I learned a lot about bread baking from ADVRider, of all places. She enjoyed my bread, but then she went on to say that nothing could compare to this bakery she had stumbled on to . . . "in Providence somewhere. Now what was the name of that again?" she mused.

"Providence? It wasn't Seven Stars, was it?" I asked.

"Yes! That's it! AWESOME bread there. Just amazing!"

We had a good laugh when I told her that was the guy I learned so much from on ADVRider. So, small world, and thanks Jim.
That's a great story
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: