Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #721
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
When I was younger and lived in NYC, the local Jewish/German bakeries sold a delicious bread called "corn" bread. It wasn't like corn meal bread, but like a thick crusted, dense rye type bread with a different flavor.

Anybody familiar with this type of bread, and if so, do you have a recipe and technique for making it?

Thanks
That's the original NY style jewish rye. Unfortunately, it has morphed into a fluffy bread with zero resemblance to the real thing beyond caraway seeds. When I worked at Semifreddis in the 90's they made one. I love rye, but not caraway so much, and it was loaded so I wasn't a fan of it. Looks like they're still making it. Search for Odessa Rye here.

The best looking recipe I've ever seen for the real thing came from Nancy Silvertons book. Here's a blog about producing it. Unfortunately, La Brea is a shell of what they once were...

BTW, rye is not caraway! I've found over the years that 99% of the people out there that claim they don't like rye bread actually don't like the taste of caraway. Virtually all of the rye bread produced in the world has zero. That perception comes from jewish rye and is only found in the US.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #722
Parsley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
. . .

"Korn" as in seed, grain, kernel. When I lived in Germany they were dense whole grain breads. The Swedes and Poles bake with caraway seed which gets to the point that American Jewish culture in the Northeast is predominately Ashkenazim (mostly central and east Europe but definitely dispersed) and that, perhaps that's where caraway comes into NY rye.
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #723
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,519
I went off and tried something in the no-knead bread... "UltraGrain" flour.

A few things about the dough were impressive - the rise and the gummy consistency where it basically rolled out of the bowl I let it rise in as a whole instead of requiring me to pour it out. Stretchy, and overall pretty neat.

http://www.ultragrain.com/all-purpose-flour

Whole Grain Goodness: Ultragrain All Purpose Flour

Add the health benefits of whole grains to your cooking and baking without sacrificing taste, texture, or appearance. Ultragrain All Purpose Flour is the only all-purpose flour that gives you 30% whole grain nutrition and white flour appeal without adjusting your recipes. Use all-natural Ultragrain All Purpose Flour in place of standard white flour in all of your favorite recipes.
Cup for cup, you'll get more whole grain nutrition with the same great taste.
Did You Know?

• Ultragrain looks, tastes, cooks, and bakes like white flour.
  • Ultragrain All Purpose Flour contains 9 grams of whole grain per serving and twice the fiber of other all-purpose flours.
It just came out of the oven and looks good. I hope the insides are good to go.

Edit: wow... the interior of the bread is the most bread-like and dense, yet full of smaller expansion holes, that I've ever got.

late Edit: I am wondering if I get the more dense bread from the time the dough spent in the refrigerator since I didn't have time to bake it for over a day? Something went really right with this loaf... now to figure out what, lol

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 12:35 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #724
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
That's the original NY style jewish rye. Unfortunately, it has morphed into a fluffy bread with zero resemblance to the real thing beyond caraway seeds. When I worked at Semifreddis in the 90's they made one. I love rye, but not caraway so much, and it was loaded so I wasn't a fan of it. Looks like they're still making it. Search for Odessa Rye here.

The best looking recipe I've ever seen for the real thing came from Nancy Silvertons book. Here's a blog about producing it. Unfortunately, La Brea is a shell of what they once were...

BTW, rye is not caraway! I've found over the years that 99% of the people out there that claim they don't like rye bread actually don't like the taste of caraway. Virtually all of the rye bread produced in the world has zero. That perception comes from jewish rye and is only found in the US.
Great, thanks for the recipe! Our local NYC bakery had unseeded rye, seeded rye, and "corn" bread. The corn bread interior was a little darker, more grayish in color, rye was whiter. Both had a thick, crisp crust, both delicious, but the corn was my favorite.

If sent down to the bakery to buy one, 1/4 or more might be gone before I reached home.

My middle school job was working in a bagel-bialy bakery. I liked caraway seeds, used to grab a handful and stick it in my mouth while working. When I see what passes for bagels in some places I cringe. A round baked piece of bread with a hole in it does not a bagel make. When I ask if it was boiled first, I often get a blank stare. No boiling, no thick chewy crust. A real bagel outside of NY is sometimes as hard to find as real NY pizza.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #725
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,387
I've been oven roasting garlic cloves and tossing them minced into my no-knead during the first mixing. Talk about some damn good bread! I usually roast with them tossed with EVOO ( olive oil) and keep a tiny bit of the used oil to fold in prior to baking.

Made some egg bread the other day too......could have used a touch of vanilla extract. Used a lot of eggs. Makes me want to go solicit my friends with chickens!

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #726
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

Edit: wow... the interior of the bread is the most bread-like and dense, yet full of smaller expansion holes, that I've ever got.
I see your camera is broken.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #727
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
I've been oven roasting garlic cloves and tossing them minced into my no-knead during the first mixing. Talk about some damn good bread! I usually roast with them tossed with EVOO ( olive oil) and keep a tiny bit of the used oil to fold in prior to baking.

Made some egg bread the other day too......could have used a touch of vanilla extract. Used a lot of eggs. Makes me want to go solicit my friends with chickens!

I see your camera is broken.....
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #728
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshoes View Post
I see your camera is broken.....

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #729
noshoes
soñando con México

Quote:

Thanks.
After posting that camera post, I went out to the store bought some garlic, roasted it in the oven, minced it, and put it into no-knead dough to bake tommorrow. It just sounded too good to not try. Again, thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #730
noshoes
soñando con México

So baked up the roasted garlic bread. Pretty good stuff. Not really an improvement over the basic fermented bread, but a pretty good different.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #731
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
When I was younger and lived in NYC, the local Jewish/German bakeries sold a delicious bread called "corn" bread. It wasn't like corn meal bread, but like a thick crusted, dense rye type bread with a different flavor.

Anybody familiar with this type of bread, and if so, do you have a recipe and technique for making it?

Thanks
Is this different than Portuguese corn bread? Never had the NYC one.

I'm back in Ottawa in couple weeks and have to get the recipe from a small but delicious 'boulangerie', great place. I am obsessed with their corn bread. I tried several recipes but couldn't replicate their bread, hopefully they'll point me in the right direction if they don't want to share their secret.

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #732
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshoes View Post
So baked up the roasted garlic bread. Pretty good stuff. Not really an improvement over the basic fermented bread, but a pretty good different.

Very nice! I do like variety. How much garlic did you use? I used a good 8-10 cloves or a full head.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #733
noshoes
soñando con México

Quote:
Very nice! I do like variety. How much garlic did you use? I used a good 8-10 cloves or a full head.
I split 3 heads between two loaves. No complaints from me or anyone else that ate the first loaf. Second loaf is going to another inmate whose wife feeds me regular. Gotta keep the food karma good.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #734
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,788
Irish soda bread in the oven right now.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #735
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
Is this different than Portuguese corn bread? Never had the NYC one.

I'm back in Ottawa in couple weeks and have to get the recipe from a small but delicious 'boulangerie', great place. I am obsessed with their corn bread. I tried several recipes but couldn't replicate their bread, hopefully they'll point me in the right direction if they don't want to share their secret.

Ko
Bernard Clayton has a good recipe for Portugese Corn Bread in his book. If you can't find it I could email you a recipe I use; you could scale it down for home use.

Remember to cook and partially cool the corn meal before mixing and baking. I cook it in half the water, not until boiling, but until it thickens. This will give you a soft bread that doesn't have hard corn meal grains in it.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: