User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #61
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
The Girl is currently preparing a banana bread for myself and some friends to eat during movie night at my place this week.

I love my wife!

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #62
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe
you people are killing me... i'm working very hard to keep the 20 pounds off that i lost when we switched to the Eat for Live diet. now, with all this talk of bread, i want to pull out the lodge pot and heat up the house.
I went from 180lb to 169lb and my stomach shrunk so much that I only eat twice a day now.
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #63
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Oddometer: 16,370

This is a really good bread book. Has lots on technique. The French sour dough section is excellent. I made the Pain au Levain a lot and it is . Never thought to take a picture. 3lb pound monster recipe is here
"There was a lot of talk last year about how Barack Obama would be a “transformational” president — but true transformation, it turns out, requires a lot more than electing one telegenic leader." -Paul Krugman 8/30/09
UPSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #64
Denis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Yeast question; I've been using the small packets of yeast but they don't specifically say instant yeast that is called for by the no-knead recipes. I found the instant yeast, it's like a small brick. Anyone use this kind of yeast? What's the difference?

Denis
Old 12-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #65
Denis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
My bad! The yeast brick was vacuum sealed, once I opened it was just like the other yeast. Live and learn. Got another in the oven, hopefully much lighter as no bran in this one.

Denis
Old 12-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #66
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,226
Just popped this little beauty out of the oven. MMmm!

Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #67
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,896
Damn that stuff looks good.

In the no-knead recipes, can you just substitute whole wheat flour for regular flour, or is it more complicated than that?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #68
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,226
The info here is really good for the no-knead (at least very little knead) style.

I've made both the white (above) and wheat styles- both excellent.

Breadtopia
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #69
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
My plan for the year is to go and see my uncle more - he was a successful master baker for about 25-30 years

After I treat myself to a Kenwood Chef for the mixing part

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #70
goswiftly
Got tubes?

Oddometer: 164
This is the home made Lithuanian dark rye bread that my lovely wife makes. Not much in it, Molasses, Caraway, dark rye flower, yeast. It's a very aromatic bread with a wonderfull flavor.

'06 CBR600RR
'05 KLX300R
'04 KLR650A
'03 XR400R
'02 KLR650A
'96 KLX250R
goswiftly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #71
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Ok, it's an old thread... and it's a motorcycling forum.

But I was making a joke about off-topic stuff in another thread and mentioned breadmaking. On a hunch I searched it and there was actually a thread here! Surprise.

So here's my two cents. (and a slightly florid two cents owing to the influence of most of a six pack)

If you've ever wondered if you could bake bread, just go ahead and do it. It's amazingly easy. For years I wondered why anyone couldn't bake one of those five dollar loaves of nice crusty chewy 'peasant' breads that you have to go to the high-end grocer for. I lived in Rome, Italy for three years, and in Athens, Greece for another two, and once home in the States have always wondered why the heck I couldn't get that basic, fantastically flavorful, crusty aromatic loaf that every corner bakery used to sell me for 35 cents. The shit you get here in the grocery store turns back into dough as soon as you put it in your mouth. Otherwise you have to pay through the nose to get anything close to real bread. And it's the same simple ingredients. I don't get it.

I finally broke down and tried it on my own. Traditional recipes are so much work that it's not worth it to do single loaves. 50 cents worth of ingredients and three hours of labor is not worth saving four bucks. Just go to the store.

Then I found links to "no knead" recipes. Flour, yeast, water, salt, period. Looked good. Easy. Still seemed like a lot of crap to deal with for single loaves (check the recipes). But one aspect of the no knead recipies looked really intruiging. The idea of a 'dutch oven' to contain the moisture in the bake. Most no-knead recipes suggest a clay pot of some sort, but I wondered what the hell the purpose of that was. The bread is not actually in contact with the clay, so any "oven within an oven" should do as well as an expensive clay pot to contain humidity! I went and got a TEN quart aluminum pot with lid from goodwill for three bucks.

Then I just combined the best of both ideas. Traditional recipe, with some kneading, baked in a 'dutch oven'. I learned from reading a bunch of recipes that the trick to getting a dense chewy and aerated (kind of swiss cheese like) bread is to let the wheat release/develop its gluten. This requires letting the dough, once well kneaded, to set in the fridge, or a very cool spot, for at least 12 hours or more (I did 24 hrs). This is an essential part of the "no knead" idea, but you can save a lot of wasted time chenanigans, in my experience, involved in the "no knead" recipes, by just breaking down and kneading the shit for at least five to ten minutes by hand. Then after the inital set (12 to 24) to develop gluten let it rise in a warmer/room-temp place for an hour.

Once the first rise is completed, the ball'o'dough is folded over itself a couple of times and shaped into a loaf and dropped into the TEN quart alum pot with lid. I smashed an alum pie tin flat, stuck it in the bottom of the pot before placing the loaf to keep the bottom from burning (use flour, semolina flour, or bread crumbs, etc on the pie tin to keep the bread from sticking). A lot of comments on recipe blogs dealt with bottom burning since you're using 500F. Introducing a little air space insulation between the bread and the bottom of the pot is the trick. A crushed alum pie tin works great since it ends up kind of corrugated. I also rubbed a little olive oil onto the sides of the pot where the bread might stick. Let this all rise another hour.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees then put the covered pot with loaf in for about 45 minutes. Containing that moist heat in the 'dutch oven' turns out to be the trick for fantastic bread.

Uncover, decant, let cool, and enjoy. wow

Recipes are NEVER meant to be followed to the letter. Start with good shared ideas, well balanced amounts, and work it to your own taste over time.

svejkovat screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 09:40 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #72
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Thanks
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #73
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
i just made a loaf yesterday. preheated my oven to 350. mixed up 3 cups self rising flower, 3 TABLESPOONS of sugar, and one 12oz can of beer. cooked in in a dutch oven with lid for 1 hour 15 minutes. i used mich ultra. easiest bread ever and taste great!

kitesurfer screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 11:52 AM Reason: FAT FINGERS
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #74
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
i just made a loaf yesterday. preheated my oven to 350. mixed up 3 cups self rising flower, 3 lbs of sugar, and one 12oz can of beer. cooked in in a dutch oven with lid for 1 hour 15 minutes. i used mich ultra. easiest bread ever and taste great!
Sweet breads?

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #75
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,353
I used the fleishman's active dry yeast.

I used 2 teaspoons for 1/4 cup of water and it was twice as much ... nice sourdough but I'll try half of it next time for a baggette type.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: