User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #856
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,766
Just so you know, Jim, I keep reading, even though I haven't been baking lately. I have to watch my bread intake. If I bake, I eat far too much of it.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #857
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
Nice! I think I ran across it in this thread before. I don't know if you pointed out that you wrote it though. The circle of bread...

I do flour what I proof on. I have tried proofing on plastic and glass cutting boards. Last time I tried it with a cotton towel with a LOT of flour on it. It still stuck. It wetted right through the flour and stuck to the cotton. I have been covering the dough throughout though. I'll try letting it skin over next time.
Try proofing on a parchment paper, which can go into the oven directly on the baking stone, then get pulled out after 12-15 minutes of baking. That's what I've done with free form ciabattas and such. If you're trying to hold a loaf shape with folds of cloth or a basket, it gets a bit harder, but canvas works better than towel (less fuzz), and rice flour works better than wheat.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #858
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Just so you know, Jim, I keep reading, even though I haven't been baking lately. I have to watch my bread intake. If I bake, I eat far too much of it.
Hey, as long as you keep taking me to the good bbq places when I visit KC, it's all good
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #859
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
"Instant gratification"? "Modern cooking marketing"? Jo Momma attitude, indeed. Not impressed.

Oh. Wait.

I better "sign" this post or you won't know who authored it.

Xeraux
Xeraux,

Evidently you feel the the terms used, "instant gratification", " modern cooking marketing" were directed at you personally -- emphatically, they were not.
If you feel that way - I am sorry.

If there is some other background story here, which I doubt as I rarely post - maybe the bread thread is not the place to duke it out.

If the words offended anyone else here -- I'm sorry it was not intended.

Bokrijder, and yes I will sign my name

Myrl J Stone
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #860
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Hey, as long as you keep taking me to the good bbq places when I visit KC, it's all good
Are you going to make it out this way this summer?

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #861
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 810
Laugh Valentine's Day Bread ...

Thanks to this thread, I covered myself with glory this Valentine's Day ... about all I'm good for in the kitchen is doing dishes ... But you guys said try this no-knead recipe, it's easy ... and it was!

Served it up with turkey meatball fettuccine with fresh basil ... about 600 calories, including 2 oz of bread ...

This was the original fast recipe, with a full packet of yeast, and three or four hours of rest, fold once, and rest for thirty minutes while the oven heated ... started at 3pm and had bread for dinner ...

I saw a pic on this thread of a Dutch oven, and in the finest tradition of our ADV on-line community, said to myself, hey, we've got one of those ... just like seeing a pic of an ADVer in a Death Valley on his dual sport ... "Me too!"

Anyway, thanks guys! You rock ... my wife was super-impressed with my Valentine's Day Bread ...

see you in the kitchen,
--SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #862
noshoes
Having Mexico dreams

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
.......NOW, someone out there weigh out 1/4 t of dry yeast so we can figure out the percentages on the No Knead. Then, you can start really tweaking it to fit into your lifestyle.

I found this on another bread site. My kitchen scale doesn't go under a gram.

To give you an idea of how much instant dry yeast goes into a measuring teaspoon:
1 tsp dry yeast = 3,1 g
1/2 tsp dry yeast = 1,6 g
1/4 tsp dry yeast = 0,78 g
Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #863
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Thanks to this thread, I covered myself with glory this Valentine's Day ... about all I'm good for in the kitchen is doing dishes ... But you guys said try this no-knead recipe, it's easy ... and it was!

Served it up with turkey meatball fettuccine with fresh basil ... about 600 calories, including 2 oz of bread ...

This was the original fast recipe, with a full packet of yeast, and three or four hours of rest, fold once, and rest for thirty minutes while the oven heated ... started at 3pm and had bread for dinner ...

I saw a pic on this thread of a Dutch oven, and in the finest tradition of our ADV on-line community, said to myself, hey, we've got one of those ... just like seeing a pic of an ADVer in a Death Valley on his dual sport ... "Me too!"

Anyway, thanks guys! You rock ... my wife was super-impressed with my Valentine's Day Bread ...

see you in the kitchen,
--SFMCjohn
And who would have thought ADV would contribute to marriage harmony - now that's a good deal.

Bokrijder
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #864
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,660
OK, ADVbakers, I need some advice. I pretty much perfected my Carrot Pulp recipe, in Las Vegas. So what am I going to have to do to modify it to go from 4750 feet to sea level (NYC) and from 9 muffin tin to a 24 mini-muffin tin?
Keep in mind I'm a total baking neophyte.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #865
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,320
I need some advice too.

No-knead... a few times in the past I've made loaves with Crusts ... to end all crusts... and ever since I've got a carmelized, hard crust for about a few hours, but then it's just not crispy-crusty anymore.

I can't really see cooking it longer than I've been doing - I'm already ending up with dark areas on the crust.

So are we talking baking it hotter for shorter amounts of time, or cooler for longer amounts to try to get a better crust? Or... ???
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 04:20 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #866
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,660
Shit. I KNEW it was a bad idea to open this thread after being on The Master Cleanse for 7 weeks! The bulk of my cooking paraphernalia is still in Utah, just spent $100 on amazon on a new Lodge and a few other things

No knead, here I come!!!!

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #867
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I need some advice too.

No-knead... a few times in the past I've made loaves with Crusts ... to end all crusts... and ever since I've got a carmelized, hard crust for about a few hours, but then it's just not crispy-crusty anymore.

I can't really see cooking it longer than I've been doing - I'm already ending up with dark areas on the crust.

So are we talking baking it hotter for shorter amounts of time, or cooler for longer amounts to try to get a better crust? Or... ???
What's your internal temp. when the crust gets to the point you would like ?
Roughly said, the inside and the outside have to be done at the same time. You can't drive one way ahead of the other. A nice crust with a ton of moisture and sub-par temp. in the crumb doesn't bode well.
If you're a crust lover work toward shapes with a high crust to crumb ratio.
That perfect crust doesn't hang around forever - not storing in a plastic bag or sealed container, and no fridge, I hope. Paper bag it

Good luck
Bokrijder
Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #868
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post

I do flour what I proof on. I have tried proofing on plastic and glass cutting boards. Last time I tried it with a cotton towel with a LOT of flour on it. It still stuck. It wetted right through the flour and stuck to the cotton. I have been covering the dough throughout though. I'll try letting it skin over next time.
Did you weigh the flour? After Jim reminded me about the different weights of flour, and consequently weighing the flour, my dough became less stickier, I guess I had too much/little water in the past...

Today I changed the way I do the no-knead bread- tried to find a way to avoid the mess of floured towels, and waste of flour.

So, I used a SS bowl for proofing, turned the bread in it as well, floured the bottom a bit, let it rise there after being formed, then flipped the bowl into the Dutch oven- very little flour was left in the bowl. Don't know if I broke some cardinal rule by using a glass lid instead of plastic wrap- but I avoided the waste of the wrap. I used a cotton towel after folding as a lid.

Bread looks the same...

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #869
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokrijder View Post
What's your internal temp. when the crust gets to the point you would like ?
Roughly said, the inside and the outside have to be done at the same time. You can't drive one way ahead of the other. A nice crust with a ton of moisture and sub-par temp. in the crumb doesn't bode well.
If you're a crust lover work toward shapes with a high crust to crumb ratio.
That perfect crust doesn't hang around forever - not storing in a plastic bag or sealed container, and no fridge, I hope. Paper bag it

Good luck
Bokrijder
+1 on this ^. Also, if some days have lapsed I cut the bread as thick as my toaster will allow and then toast it till the crust is reconstituted to what I like. The sides of the bread are not browned but the crust is crusty and the flavor is enhanced somewhat back to original crusty flavor. I guess one could throw it into a toaster over but I am too impatient for that.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #870
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
Did you weigh the flour? After Jim reminded me about the different weights of flour, and consequently weighing the flour, my dough became less stickier, I guess I had too much/little water in the past...

Today I changed the way I do the no-knead bread- tried to find a way to avoid the mess of floured towels, and waste of flour.

So, I used a SS bowl for proofing, turned the bread in it as well, floured the bottom a bit, let it rise there after being formed, then flipped the bowl into the Dutch oven- very little flour was left in the bowl. Don't know if I broke some cardinal rule by using a glass lid instead of plastic wrap- but I avoided the waste of the wrap. I used a cotton towel after folding as a lid.

Bread looks the same...

Ko
I have only been weighing my flour. I think my mistake was not letting the dough skin over at all, really. Since it is so dry in AZ I was trying to save as much moisture as possible and covering it too tightly every step of the way. I haven't tried again, but probably will soon.
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: