ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #946
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!
 
LadyDraco's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: FeederOfMorans~Some of the best roads in the east.
Oddometer: 25,614
Good Deal
__________________
TISE
Life is what you make of it~
If it don't fit make alterations

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #947
David R
I been called a Nut Job..
 
David R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: In Da Swamps of WNY
Oddometer: 2,311
You folks have created a monster. This is my last one. I keep making them bigger, up to 5 cups flour. I bought a 7 quart dutch oven and am trying to fill it. The top of the loaf is level with the top of the pot. It has not touched the lid YET.



Here is the first on on the same rack.


I made a loaf for a family reunion friday. People were stealing slices to take home.

I take sandwiches in my lunch every day.

Can't seem to loose weight.....

Thanks for the inspiration.
David
__________________
2012 R1200R ! 2000 R1100RT (retired), 1976 R75/6, 11 Versys
There is a seat for everyone.

David R screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 05:31 PM
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #948
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,685
Been awhile. Lets see what you guys have been up to!
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #949
David R
I been called a Nut Job..
 
David R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: In Da Swamps of WNY
Oddometer: 2,311
YEP! I have not kneaded bread since I started hanging around here

I tried quite a few different ways, so far 2x flour to water measured in cups works every time. Dutch oven is the BALLS! Only a little yeast and let the dough work at least 12 hours.

This is my last loaf of weekly bread.
2.5 cups water
5 cups flour
1 tsp yeast
2 or 3 tsp salt

I fold the dough a couple times before baking.

I put the wet as can be dough on a sheet of parchment with corn meal on it. Put bowl over top and let rise for an hour or two or three. cover with flour and shallow slices in the top.

When ready (its on its own schedule) Preheat dutch oven for 1/2 hour. remove lid, pick up parchment with dough on it and drop in. Cover bake 20 minutes. Remove cover bake 15 more. Remove and enjoy!




You folks made me an aritst!

David

Edit, I am going to DC tomorrow with a bunch of motorcycles. This is what I am making sandwiches to take with me for the first day of the trip. I read all the stops are at Micky Ds. I can't eat there. Fresh thick sliced Virginia baked ham, Alpine swiss cheese and Webbers horseradish mustard.
__________________
2012 R1200R ! 2000 R1100RT (retired), 1976 R75/6, 11 Versys
There is a seat for everyone.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #950
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
YEP! I have not kneaded bread since I started hanging around here

I tried quite a few different ways, so far 2x flour to water measured in cups works every time. Dutch oven is the BALLS! Only a little yeast and let the dough work at least 12 hours.

This is my last loaf of weekly bread.
2.5 cups water
5 cups flour
1 tsp yeast
2 or 3 tsp salt

I fold the dough a couple times before baking.

I put the wet as can be dough on a sheet of parchment with corn meal on it. Put bowl over top and let rise for an hour or two or three. cover with flour and shallow slices in the top.

When ready (its on its own schedule) Preheat dutch oven for 1/2 hour. remove lid, pick up parchment with dough on it and drop in. Cover bake 20 minutes. Remove cover bake 15 more. Remove and enjoy!




You folks made me an aritst!

David

Edit, I am going to DC tomorrow with a bunch of motorcycles. This is what I am making sandwiches to take with me for the first day of the trip. I read all the stops are at Micky Ds. I can't eat there. Fresh thick sliced Virginia baked ham, Alpine swiss cheese and Webbers horseradish mustard.
So cool
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #951
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles
 
dolomoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Deployed
Oddometer: 2,408
I've struggled with making the "perfect" bread. We do pizza crust pretty well and have made many dozens of "no knead" loaves. Our best bread had usually been kneaded but have usually lacked flavor. I posted that I lost my starter awhile back. I started a new one with store bought yeast...I've got some brewer friends and wonder if we should collaborate on the yeast...what say you?

As it is, I threw together a dough tonight with my 3w old sourdough starter. It's looking mighty fine after only a few hours.



I appreciate the pics of others' success...it gives me something to shoot for!
__________________
Only the Dead have seen the end of War.

HNBAS Tour 2008

HNBAS Tour 2010
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #952
noshoes
Trying not to look
 
noshoes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,036
First loaf of bread in 5 months. I have missed it bad....






of course, I also lost 18 lbs when not baking bread...
__________________
"Buen dia ., Buen camino..." - Bato
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #953
Mattbastard
Lazy ass
 
Mattbastard's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Sheboygan
Oddometer: 1,884
So after 64 pages, I'm thoroughly inspired. Went up to Green Bay to buy a book on breadmaking, stumbled upon a grand opening for a kitchen supply store. Picked up a dutch oven and a pizza stone (and some other stuff), and made the dough last night. Today, after about 20 hrs of rising, here's what happened:

12 hrs



19 hrs



The hardware



Finished product





I really think I could have gone with a smaller dutch oven. The dough didn't even touch the sides of the pan completely. Perhaps a larger dough ball maybe, but these 3 cup loaves can easily get away with a smaller dutch oven.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #954
David R
I been called a Nut Job..
 
David R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: In Da Swamps of WNY
Oddometer: 2,311
That is beautiful!

2.5 cups water
5 cups flour
1/2 tsp yeast
1tbs salt.

fills my 7 qt dutch oven.

Good luck.
David
__________________
2012 R1200R ! 2000 R1100RT (retired), 1976 R75/6, 11 Versys
There is a seat for everyone.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #955
David R
I been called a Nut Job..
 
David R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: In Da Swamps of WNY
Oddometer: 2,311
I mix up the dough the night before.

I fold it once or twice after about 12 hours.

Then I put the dough on parchment with some cornmeal so it does not stick.
I put a clear oiled bowl over the dough to keep it moist and let it rise.
If I did not use the bowl, it would sprawl all over the counter.
1/2 hour before I am going to bake, I tun on the oven and cover the dough with flour. Make a few cuts to help it expand that last little bit. If its rising too much, it will fall a little when its disturbed.

That is a 10 lb bag in the back ground.


Once the oven and dutch oven are hot (1/2 hour) I remove the lid from the dutch oven. Grab the parchment and put the whole mess in the dutch oven. Cover and close oven for 20 minutes.

Remove cover for 15 munites and I have my bread for the week. This is a big loaf.

__________________
2012 R1200R ! 2000 R1100RT (retired), 1976 R75/6, 11 Versys
There is a seat for everyone.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #956
shelion
Goddess of Fire
 
shelion's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Too damn long in the vicinity of Wash, DC
Oddometer: 323
Sourdough starter question

I have some sourdough starter that's been in my fridge, unused and unattended, for probably 3 months at least. Is it still good, or do I need to pitch it and start over? It's my understanding that the starter needs to be maintained, which I am crap at, so please help.

On a side note, I made a couple loaves of sourdough to trade for some homemade pies and the recipient said that my sourdough was better than any he'd had in San Francisco. Since I am a very novice bread baker, and even more novice sourdough bread baker, I was pretty proud of my self! Granted, he may not have been going to very good bakeries out there but still.
__________________
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back, so shake him off.
shelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #957
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelion View Post
I have some sourdough starter that's been in my fridge, unused and unattended, for probably 3 months at least. Is it still good, or do I need to pitch it and start over? It's my understanding that the starter needs to be maintained, which I am crap at, so please help.

On a side note, I made a couple loaves of sourdough to trade for some homemade pies and the recipient said that my sourdough was better than any he'd had in San Francisco. Since I am a very novice bread baker, and even more novice sourdough bread baker, I was pretty proud of my self! Granted, he may not have been going to very good bakeries out there but still.
Its probably savable, but it'll take some tlc. Get me your email address and i'll send you a formula I developed for home bakers.
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #958
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98
 
thebigman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 3,268
David R , That looks great man , wish I had them bread skillz bridda .
__________________
Marko

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #959
shelion
Goddess of Fire
 
shelion's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Too damn long in the vicinity of Wash, DC
Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Its probably savable, but it'll take some tlc. Get me your email address and i'll send you a formula I developed for home bakers.
PM sent. Many thanks.
__________________
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back, so shake him off.
shelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #960
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct
 
bomber60015's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago-ish
Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelion View Post
I have some sourdough starter that's been in my fridge, unused and unattended, for probably 3 months at least. Is it still good, or do I need to pitch it and start over? It's my understanding that the starter needs to be maintained, which I am crap at, so please help.

On a side note, I made a couple loaves of sourdough to trade for some homemade pies and the recipient said that my sourdough was better than any he'd had in San Francisco. Since I am a very novice bread baker, and even more novice sourdough bread baker, I was pretty proud of my self! Granted, he may not have been going to very good bakeries out there but still.

I've not Levain's degree of expertise (would that I did), but I've had good results simply feeding it -- deep 6 half of the starter (after stirring), give it a cup or so of flour and a cup or so of water.

Repeat this a couple three times, and my starter rebounds nicely.

Clearly, if this runs counter to Levain's advice in any way, go with the pro.
__________________
Searching for the immaculate contraption
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014