Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #1111
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,024
Last rack of rolls are out and cooling.

After this first rack cooled I cut one open for a look and taste.

The next old family recipe is for what amounts to a Swedish biscotti. It is called Swedish Rusk,

This stuff takes an hour to bake, then once cool, sliced up and toasted GB&D. With a cup of fresh coffee it is my favorite light breakfast.

And the house smells like great grandma's, and my mom's.

Miss you mom.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #1112
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,850

Oh I bet that cardamom is a nice touch.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #1113
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Hand ground with a mortar and pestle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Oh I bet that cardamom is a nice touch.

Facebook
Smugmug
Old 11-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #1114
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,899
One of my halfway decent loaves

I purchased a oven thermometer to see what other readings I could get. I have almost a 75 degree drop from my set temperature.

I just realized the importance of the resting temperature after the initial mix. It's probably mid-60's in the house and during these temps, I never had much rise. I did the oven trick with the light on, and I started to finally get some rise.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #1115
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,082
Today is my 20th Thanksgiving working in a bakery

Quite a milestone! 2nd busiest day of the year here at Seven Stars as well as most any other bakery in your home town getting ready for Thanksgiving.

Today, we'll double our normal Fri. production. It'll take roughly 5 hrs. longer start to finish. It's always difficult since we, literally, use every bus tub, sheet pan, proofing basket/couche, rack etc. etc. etc. we own, but its fun too. All the planning for the last week will start to pay off in the next 24 hrs. as we produce and deliver early tomorrow am. They're calling for thunderstorms overnight and into the morning. The absolute worst scenario for delivery, but it is what it is!

Make sure you visit your local bakery this Thanksgiving, but give them a break if they're out of your favorite, or it just doesn't look like it usually does. We're all busy jumping through hoops to get it in your hands the best we can.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #1116
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Awesome!
20 years is quite the time. Congrats.
I'm looking forward to the drive across the desert to visit Dad, and our extended family. I plan on visiting my favorite bakery in the area while I'm there. I hope they have pumpkin soup on tap. That stuff is like hot pie in a bowl.

Their bread is damned good too. "Wildflower Bread".
And as long as we're into semi-local bakeries, my wife works over in Glendale and a bakery there has some amazing food. She brought home some meat pastries and some sweets for me last week.
I think we will be making the drive over just for a visit over the Christmas holiday break.

I figured out some more I need to work at with my rolls. First I'm going to drop the shelf in the oven one more notch. That should help the top to finish closer to the bottoms.
Second I plan on swapping out some granular sugar for molasses this next time. I like the taste of that more.
Next I need to really work on my portioning. I've got rolls that are easily hamburger size. Which means if there were more I'd have great bases for Thanksgiving sandwiches on Friday.
And lastly I'm going to try real hard to get my wife and daughters into the kitchen with me to at least be there to feel how the bread feels when it is ready.
Part of this is science, but there is a whole bunch of craft and skill to it. I know for sure I couldn't make this stuff commercially. I'd eat my profits.

Once I get this recipe figured out to my satisfaction, I'm going to get a cast iron dutch oven and give that and the no-knead breads a try. I figure I'll hold off on the wood fired oven until I retire and move out to the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Quite a milestone! 2nd busiest day of the year here at Seven Stars as well as most any other bakery in your home town getting ready for Thanksgiving.

Today, we'll double our normal Fri. production. It'll take roughly 5 hrs. longer start to finish. It's always difficult since we, literally, use every bus tub, sheet pan, proofing basket/couche, rack etc. etc. etc. we own, but its fun too. All the planning for the last week will start to pay off in the next 24 hrs. as we produce and deliver early tomorrow am. They're calling for thunderstorms overnight and into the morning. The absolute worst scenario for delivery, but it is what it is!

Make sure you visit your local bakery this Thanksgiving, but give them a break if they're out of your favorite, or it just doesn't look like it usually does. We're all busy jumping through hoops to get it in your hands the best we can.
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 11-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #1117
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,888
Mega Pie day tomorrow here, and tomorrow is also Chanukah this year, so that adds come extra Challah. Then lots of extra rolls, and the grocery stores are also having a big run on our bread, about 2x normal usage already today.

Added Mincemeat to the lineup this year, and I'm surprised at the number of folks that are interested in it.... lots of "Oh, my Grandmother always made that! I'll get one of those too." Had to make that a week ago, so it could meld the flavors together, and thought I had more than enough, but they are all spoken for.

I'll be open on Thursday morning to fix up the stragglers, but we won't have the cafe menu available and will close at around 11 or so.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 11-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #1118
Renaissanceman
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 181
Good for you, man! Lots of smiles being added to your karmic balance sheet today!

Some friends of mine owned a small artisan bakery for several years - I never new anyone who worked harder! God I miss that place - tho my waistline has only now begun to recover!

Thanks to you and your fellow pie-bakers! I love pie! and bread! and beer!!
Happy ThanksGiving!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #1119
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,734
Happy Thanksgiving !!!

Yeah yeah I know I haven't put up the pics of The Marble rye....
It's still in the camera...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #1120
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,273

made some banana-oatmeal bread this morning, turned out pretty good...

_Magoo_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #1121
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,998

Last night made a quick loaf for my Beer Cheese soup. From kneading the dough to eating was 2.5 hrs.

1c water
1/3c sugar
2tsp yeast

2Tbsp veg. oil
3c bread flour
3/4tsp Kosher salt

1 egg
1Tbsp water

Make yeast starter w/ warm water and sugar. After 10 min. add oil, and 1c flour and combine. Add remaining flour and 3/4tsp salt. Stir to combine, then knead 8-10 min. Return to bowl, lightly oil the top and let rise.

Oil 9x5 pan, shape dough into loaf and add to pan, let rise another 30 min.

Mix egg w/ water, brush onto top of loaf. Bake 30-40 min (mine took about 45 to get to 200F internal).

Turned out great. Crumb was excellent, kinda soft, but not wonder bread soft. Really tasty and great for dipping into soup.

Mattbastard screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 07:47 AM
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #1122
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
quick n' easy, but damn good with soup.

groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #1123
aceluck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
need faster bread recipe

So after a couple of years of baking up some great no-knead, I'd like to find a recipe to bake a similar loaf (airy and chewy crumb, nice thick crust) in less time, ideally less than 3 hours. I'm guessing it'll involve more yeast and some kneading, which is ok. Kneading by hand for now, but maybe x-mas will bring the wife a stand mixer with dough hook...

Any suggestions?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #1124
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceluck View Post
SNIP...
Any suggestions?
Kitchen Aid

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...e-bread-recipe

David
Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #1125
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 24,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceluck View Post
So after a couple of years of baking up some great no-knead, I'd like to find a recipe to bake a similar loaf (airy and chewy crumb, nice thick crust) in less time, ideally less than 3 hours. I'm guessing it'll involve more yeast and some kneading, which is ok. Kneading by hand for now, but maybe x-mas will bring the wife a stand mixer with dough hook...

Any suggestions?
A 3 hour bread isn't going to taste nearly as good as that no knead. Needs more poolish.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: