Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #106
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
my house is about 62-66, what can I say I am too cheap to heat the place.

will snap a pic when I remove the wrap this evening, got to dig out the big dish with lid for this one. But you could always use foil I imagine just making sure it is tight around the pot.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #107
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
my house is about 62-66, what can I say I am too cheap to heat the place.

will snap a pic when I remove the wrap this evening, got to dig out the big dish with lid for this one. But you could always use foil I imagine just making sure it is tight around the pot.

I live in an apt, and it's surprisingly well insulated. I keep it about 65 in the summers, usually for less than $50(us) a month.

It seems to double in winter no matter what I do, so I go ahead and jack it up.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #108
MikeFly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
That is a great shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Thanks. We just had some professional pictures done, so I enjoy showing them off. This photographer did a GREAT job with our products!

I love this one of that bread coming out of the oven from above
Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #109
MikeFly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
If you need a warmer spot to rise, put it in the oven and turn the light on inside. You may need to crack the door open a bit to keep the heat down. My oven has a 40w bulb in it that really throws off some heat.

Quote:
nice pics!
Bread is doing whatever it does for 12-18 hours. only thing there is no where in my house that is 70degrees so I wrapped the bowl and put it in the oven (off of course) to see if that helps keep it at a constant temp or as close as I can get this time of year. was a rush throw it together when I got home so I forgot the pics, will take some tomorrow when I see if it raised up or not
Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #110
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Ok, my latest attempt based on my 'simplified' recipe was bust. It made one heck of a good doorstop for the rest of the winter.

I read the reviews on "bread alone" and then went to the library and read some of it and was not encouraged.

Some more research garnered huge support for this one..

It was out but I reserved it when it returns.

Jim.. you mention fermentation, moist dough, and dutch ovens (for those of us that don't have humidity controlled bakery ovens).

Can you share a recipe for basic crusty aromatic italian peasant bread?

And my aplogies in advance to you for ever suggesting that this was so damn easy. I must have just gotten really lucky the first time.
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #111
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,980
My second attempt at no-knead bread, after a long hiatus:

Verdict: Not bad. Decent crust, if a little thin. Nice flavor, good crumb. Certainly a huge improvement over the first one that I baked on Tuesday night, which could be used for a hockey puck. I think I used rye flour in that one, and did not add enough water.

On this one, the dough came out a little too sticky... I'll have to try a tad less water next time around. Also, for some reason the top crust has a very glossy look to it Finally, and this has been true of all of my breads baked in a dutch oven, none of them seem to rise very much or exhibit much oven spring. I'm not sure why that is -- I certainly would like them to have a slightly less flattened shape.
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 AM   #112
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post
Ok, my latest attempt based on my 'simplified' recipe was bust. It made one heck of a good doorstop for the rest of the winter.

I read the reviews on "bread alone" and then went to the library and read some of it and was not encouraged.

Some more research garnered huge support for this one..

It was out but I reserved it when it returns.

Jim.. you mention fermentation, moist dough, and dutch ovens (for those of us that don't have humidity controlled bakery ovens).

Can you share a recipe for basic crusty aromatic italian peasant bread?

And my aplogies in advance to you for ever suggesting that this was so damn easy. I must have just gotten really lucky the first time.
I don't know anything about that book. Sorry.

I should note that I don't have any experience with the dutch oven, other than that one time I plopped some dough into it and was impressed. Both of the bakers (unlike many, these two ARE bakers first, authors second-important distinction) recommend them, and in theory at least the concept is sound.

Ideally, you'd use a pizza stone, thicker the better, preheat your oven as hot as it'll go for an hour and find a way to introduce steam. The dutch oven seems to address that. Keep in mind the dutch oven must be preheated as well, and a few minutes isn't good enough. Put it in your oven. Turn it on as hot as it'll go and forget about it for an hour.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #113
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Keep doughs wet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar
Verdict: Not bad. Decent crust, if a little thin.

On this one, the dough came out a little too sticky... I'll have to try a tad less water next time around. Also, for some reason the top crust has a very glossy look to it Finally, and this has been true of all of my breads baked in a dutch oven, none of them seem to rise very much or exhibit much oven spring. I'm not sure why that is -- I certainly would like them to have a slightly less flattened shape.

You might get a better crust if you remove the top for awhile. If you tried this, do it sooner. It'll allow the loaf to dry out a little and form the much sought after crust.

Keep the water at its current level, and add a fold like in that video. You'll be amazed at the difference. I believe in adding as much water as possible. It just gets a little sloppier, but a fold solves that and makes better bread, with better volume. As for the volume issue, it could be a not pre heated dutch oven, or lack of strength in the dough. The strength goes back to the folding. Such a simple process, but you will be surprised at the result.
1971 Lambretta DL

AngryScot screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 07:14 AM Reason: making quote work :)
Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #114
AngryScot

So after working a 12 hour day I got home and thought damn, I have dough rising!
so screw it I popped the wrap off and took a look, been on the raise for about 16hours.
sorry in advance for crappy photo's was hard enough as I was tired but holding my camera with flour/dough hands was interesting too.

Poured the dough (very sticky) onto the work table and dusted with flour then folded it like in the video above, wrapped in a floured towel for 10minutes or so.
then plop into the 500 oven which had been warming with the pot for about 20 minutes.

I forgot to set the timer this was "about" 30 minutes later (lids was on)

then 15 more minutes with top off and.....

not to shabby for first time ever!
Not as holely? as I would like, bit dense. I think I didn't have it in long enough under cover or the pot was not hot enough to start with?
anyway some warm bread and butter before bed

AngryScot screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 10:41 AM
Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #115
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
So after working a 12 hour day I got home and thought damn, I have dough rising!
so screw it I popped the wrap off and took a look, been on the raise for about 16hours.
sorry in advance for crappy photo's was hard enough as I was tired but holding my camera with flour/dough hands was interesting too.

Poured the dough (very sticky) onto the work table and dusted with flour then folded it like in the video above, wrapped in a floured towel for 10minutes or so.
then plop into the 500 oven which had been warming with the pot for about 20 minutes.

I forgot to set the timer this was "about" 30 minutes later (lids was on)

then 15 more minutes with top off and.....

not to shabby for first time ever!
Not as holely? as I would like, bit dense. I think I didn't have it in long enough under cover or the pot was not hot enough to start with?
anyway some warm bread and butter before bed
You just proved to yourself and others that you can do it! That's a damn good looking loaf! You can be proud of yourself. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the dough may have been a little overfermented. That will greatly affect volume and what we call "hole structure".

I would advise doing the same thing you did, but cut an hr. or two out of the process. Since you were able to look at the bread at 12hrs., next time do a fold at the 12 hr. mark. Give it another hr. then proceed as you did this time. I bet you'll get closer to what you're looking for. You'll start to get a feel for the dough, and what it needs. Maybe, it'll need another fold at the 13 hr. mark? Maybe, it'll be ready to shape? Keep in mind all the various temperatures of the dough and air, since that will greatly affect process.

Awesome job

EDIT: I misread your post. If you can get to it sooner than the 16hr. mark, that'd probably good. Above advice applies. If not, you can control it with temperature. Warmer and it's going to ferment faster. Cooler, it'll ferment slower.
Good job!
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 08:04 AM
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #116
AngryScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
You just proved to yourself and others that you can do it! That's a damn good looking loaf! You can be proud of yourself. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the dough may have been a little overfermented. That will greatly affect volume and what we call "hole structure".

I would advise doing the same thing you did, but cut an hr. or two out of the process. Since you were able to look at the bread at 12hrs., next time do a fold at the 12 hr. mark. Give it another hr. then proceed as you did this time. I bet you'll get closer to what you're looking for. You'll start to get a feel for the dough, and what it needs. Maybe, it'll need another fold at the 13 hr. mark? Maybe, it'll be ready to shape? Keep in mind all the various temperatures of the dough and air, since that will greatly affect process.

Awesome job
It was bubbling a touch when I looked in under the wrap so that makes sense. Didn't have that option this time due to being late at work, but will give your suggestions a try and see what happens.
Was hoping to use this dough for pizza dough too it I can get that to work.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #117
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854

I'm very impressed.

And continued thanks Jim for the interest in this thread.
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #118
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,928
Yeah, thanks Jim. It really is great to have a pro giving us tips.

Here's my first attempt at the same bread about a month ago.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #119
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
So the standard no-knead directions recommend a secondary rise of 2 hours after folding... seems like you dispensed with that. I like the shape of the loaf, which is a problem for me. Since I let mine rest for 2 hours after the fold and the dough is a little on the runny side, it looses all shape...

Your bread looks great
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #120
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Yeah, thanks Jim. It really is great to have a pro giving us tips.

Here's my first attempt at the same bread about a month ago.

Yeah, on a good day, this is what mine used look like... Pilot, what is the cross-section of your bread?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: