Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #16
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Clint, you are Superman if you rode *up* Fleecer on a 640A. Especially solo.
Mike, Thanks! I felt like Superman when I got to the top. I let out a big yell and felt like I was king of the world. I stopped and let my heart return to 70 bpm.
When I got to the fence I was already in this sort of altered state,
all I did was look over my right shoulder to see the view (which is amazing) and I got the strongest case of vertigo I have ever had. It was weird. I rode like an old lady for about 15 minutes until I got my head straight.
You must have rode across the top of that meadow. From where I stopped it looked like it gradually got steeper and steeper until it was vertical. I felt this incredible pull to go over and ride down it faster and faster
until i just fell off the bottom. It was weird.

I never did a trip report but here's what happened that morning.

I stayed at the Wise River Club and had a great dinner.

Photobucket

I woke at 6, showered and repacked my bags. I was out at 7 and I fired her up. Nobody was up yet and I'm sure the LC4 alarm woke up a few.
I had handwritten my notes the night before on a piece of notebook
paper from the waitress. I stuck it in the clear sleeve on top of my tankbag where I could see it, reset the odo and took off. It was about 30 degrees with a good frost.

I told myself before I left on the ride I had to at least ride out to Fleecer and look at it. Most of the ride reports I read everybody skipped it or had great crash pictures. I wanted to beat it but I told myself if it looked too gnarly I
would back track and take the slab.

It was only a short section of tarmac before I turned off onto the road that gets you there. The mileages were a little tough but I have always had a knack for navigation and I made it through to the bottom of Fleecer on the first shot.
The book really helps here as there are some good additional directions.

When I arrived I saw this

Photobucket

Pics do not do this proper justice.
I parked the bike and decided I would walk up to the big pine halfway up ( I thought it was half way anyway) Boots, helmet on, jacket, etc. Did I say it was about 30? I got halfway to the tree and thought, "you are stupid to try this by yourself"
I was sweating profusely and pulled the helmet off. It was more nerves that anything. I picked my line and moved a few bigger rocks. I had decided to stay to the right side in the sage on the bottom half and then switch into the right track after
I passed the big pine for the second half of the hill. It looked like a good line choice to me.
I walked back down the hill and mounted the bike.
I should say now that I left the stock main jet in the bike believing the BST to be up to the job of metering fuel correctly for me up to 12K feet on the stock main. Wrong!
Anyway, I am not a rider of great skill. I love to ride and have maybe 8k under my belt on dirt. I wouldn't consider myself brave but I am stubborn. That hill would not be left unconquered. I circled around twice in the little meadow at the bottom
before I felt comfortable and then said to myself "why are you stalling, just do it already". With that I turned toward the bottom loose shale crap and brought the bike up to climbing speed and went for it. Bottom half (I thought so anyway), easy!
I flew up in 2nd and had to duck going under the pine. I had planned to downshift there and make the rest of the climb in 1st as she starts to get steep and nasty after the pine. Around the tree, nick it into first, settle into the rut on the right,
roll into the throttle and climb. It was all going really well until I got about 100 yards past the pine and had to adjust my line because of a large rock. I rolled back on the throttle briefly and that is when I learned that my main jet was probably
two sizes too rich. When I went back for more throttle she had nothing to give me. I fanned the clutch but all I got were a few weak pops. The bike stalled and I was severely disappointed.

One of the things I love about the LC4 is that it pulls like a tractor at low revs and you can lug it to maximize traction. On this hill I had my blown my chance to get to the top cleanly.

Now I had to figure out if I wanted turn this whale around and go 300 yards back to the bottom or start from a dead stop mid hill and continue up. I was determined to make it one shot so I fired her up. The combination of the rich
mixture and fuel in the bowl being on a 45 degree slant meant I had my work cut out for me. I am not a hill climber and I debated in my wind if it would be better to sit on the seat and let it loop out or stand and let it dig a hole. Neither sounded
good so I attempted a sort of seat bounce maneuver to get it moving with a walk/push with my feet to help it build momentum until I could get my feet on the pegs. It was running like crap and had nothing until about 3000 revs.
Yeah, I eventually dug a hole and it was now sitting about 60 degrees nose up. I honestly didn't know what to do. What I decided to do was while it was off leave it in gear and pull the clutch in, I stood up and pulled back on the bars
to get the tire out of the hole. It didn't take much as the hill was pretty steep! As soon as I got it out of the hole I needed the front brake and the engine to hold it on the hill. I started it back up, revved it to 4k, slipped the clutch, seatbounce,
walk/push maneuver and we were away. Loads of shale, loose dirt, rocks and general crap. Up we went. I got up on the pegs as fast as I could and we motored our way up. The front tire spent some time in the air and the rear was looking for
grip all over the place, I wasn't about to let out of it once I got going and it was a wild ride. I thought I was almost to the top when I had to make a slight right turn to face another climb of about 200 yards! At this point my confidence
meter was pegged and I sailed up the last part like a pro. It is purely a mental game. If you think you can do it, you will. If you think you might not make it, you aren't going to.

When I got to the top I yelled some insulting words at the dirt and rocks that had really done nothing to me. Somehow it made me feel better.

Here's Fleecer from the top looking down. It's hard to convey but this picture does the best job of all that I have of implying what is involved here. Go out about 30 yards and it drops straight down into the valley. I left the pics a little large to help convey the scale.

Photobucket

Clint

VTRally screwed with this post 12-04-2009 at 02:03 AM
VTRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #17
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
[QUOTE=tbirdsp]

Countdown's tracks do include Fleecer Ridge. BigDog's do not. If you have my raw tracks we made a bunch of wrong turns before we found the right trail.
We originally missed the turn Clint talks about at the fence (headed the other direction though) and went up another 500 ft of elevation straight toward Mount Fleecer. QUOTE]

Been editing CDR tracks all night. There are some differences, One of GPS Kevin's guys took a great trail right along the divide at the Co/Wy border.

Where is fleecer?

Edited: Found it, T-bird & GPS Kevin did it, Big Dog & Python didn't. What is the deal, how hard is it? OK for dual sport bikes, bad for Adv bikes?

Countdown screwed with this post 12-04-2009 at 04:17 AM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #18
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Attached Images

http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #19
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Countdown]
Quote:

Countdown's tracks do include Fleecer Ridge. BigDog's do not. If you have my raw tracks we made a bunch of wrong turns before we found the right trail.
We originally missed the turn Clint talks about at the fence (headed the other direction though) and went up another 500 ft of elevation straight toward Mount Fleecer. QUOTE]

Been editing CDR tracks all night. There are some differences, One of GPS Kevin's guys took a great trail right along the divide at the Co/Wy border.

Where is fleecer?

Edited: Found it, T-bird & GPS Kevin did it, Big Dog & Python didn't. What is the deal, how hard is it? OK for dual sport bikes, bad for Adv bikes?
Jerry, It's not impossible by any means. That said IMO you would have to be very very good to get a GS up that hill. Not for the faint of heart. I made it, most others could too but disaster is not far behind you all the way up! Everyone I met had skipped it. Of the 20 I met on the CDR I was the only one who had done it.

Mike, Nice pic! Looks like it was a little greener when you went.

Clint
Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #20
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Gate

What is going on at this place? Gates?

Big Dog came from south and turned around, others came form north and also turned around.

Has any one looked at the road to the east?
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Gate.gpx (13.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 12-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #21
tbirdsp
REMF

As we came from the north the road was blocked by a big pile of dirt and there was a sign from a government agency (USFS?) saying the road was closed to motorized vehicles.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #22
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
As we came from the north the road was blocked by a big pile of dirt and there was a sign from a government agency (USFS?) saying the road was closed to motorized vehicles.
Big Dog got to 0.7 miles from where you got? I will PM him to see what he says about the other end.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #23
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Big Dog got to 0.7 miles from where you got? I will PM him to see what he says about the other end.
Jerry, If I remember this right Big Dog founds rocks blocking the trail on the south end. He rode further in and met someone from the Forest Service and turned around and rode back out.

I mentioned in another thread that the CDT needs a reroute through this area from Seeley Lake all the way past Big Fork. When you turn Left onto cold creek and go down upper and lower porcupine it is a nice ride but Big Fork area needs a rework. I wouldn't have minded skipping it if there was a better option out of Seeley Lake and around Big Fork. I wanted to do it on my way back down through but ran out of time!

Clint
Old 12-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #24
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

New tracks

OK I looked at six tracks I have and edited and filtered and added options. Let me know what areas are a problem?

When I filtered it came out 8,500 pionts so I made it 17 tracks so you can add 3 options.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx CDR 20x500.gpx (1.40 MB, 128 views)
Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #25
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRally
I mentioned in another thread that the CDT needs a reroute through this area from Seeley Lake all the way past Big Fork. When you turn Left onto cold creek and go down upper and lower porcupine it is a nice ride but Big Fork area needs a rework. I wouldn't have minded skipping it if there was a better option out of Seeley Lake and around Big Fork. I wanted to do it on my way back down through but ran out of time!
Can't find the piece you are talking about.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #26
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Can't find the piece you are talking about.
It's right where you are looking now. Seeley Lake is South of where Big Dog was stopped by rocks and Big Fork is North. That 90 mile section could use a reroute from Seeley Lake to north of Big Fork IMO.
I attached a .gpx that is saved to open right where it needs to be changed.

You have to divert from the proper CDT in two places in that section and it means you are on slab for a while.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx BigDogs CD Ride.gpx (1.19 MB, 86 views)

Clint
Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #27
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRally
It's right where you are looking now. Seeley Lake is South of where Big Dog was stopped by rocks and Big Fork is North. That 90 mile section could use a reroute from Seeley Lake to north of Big Fork IMO.
I attached a .gpx that is saved to open right where it needs to be changed.

You have to divert from the proper CDT in two places in that section and it means you are on slab for a while.
I thought you were talking riding south not north. You mean from Swan Lake to Seeley Lake? All six tracks I have used this route. Where is the bad part?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #28
terrier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I've done the CDR 3 times and Fleecer all three times. Twice going South and the last time going north. Every time we we do it, it gets better. You are correct in that most bypass Fleecer and should if they are not experianced riders. I will say it is getting easier in that there are more tracks than the first time I went down in 2003. Then there was just one two track jeep trail which was a no no. We free lanced through the sage brush. Now you can take a secondary double track and do fine. My riding buddy who is a very good rider dropped off Fleecer on a fully loaded 990 ADV with just a little pucker. I ride a KLR and even as brake challenged as it is no problem. My hats off to you and anyone else that goes up on a loaded big bore dual sport bike. The 640 is a great choice if you attempting to go up. I have loads of experiance and even unloaded I wouldn't try it with a KLR. XR650 Honda would make it no problem. For someone riding solo to attempt this very steep and very long climb. You were one lucky dog. Again, way to gooooooooooo. It's good to hear a few of us are doing FLEEEECER....
terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #29
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier
My hats off to you and anyone else that goes up on a loaded big bore dual sport bike. It's good to hear a few of us are doing FLEEEECER....
It was one of the many highlights of the trip. It's what I love best about being on a bike. Surprises around every corner, not only scenery and people you meet but how you surprise yourself.

Clint
Old 01-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #30
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier
I've done the CDR 3 times and Fleecer all three times. Twice going South and the last time going north. I will say it is getting easier in that there are more tracks than the first time I went down in 2003. Then there was just one two track jeep trail which was a no no. We free lanced through the sage brush. Now you can take a secondary double track and do fine.
That's the key - stay off of that loose shale jeep trail. We didn't know any better at the time. My buddy terryth was in front of me on his DRZ so I just kept thinking "Well if HE can do it..." - until he crashed. I got stopped OK but I couldn't even get a foot down securely and eventually just fell over. If we stood the bikes upright they started for the bottom of the hill even with both wheels locked Terry ended up riding his bike down in the sage after walking all of his gear to the bottom. Our biggest problem was we had too much gear strapped behind us and couldn't move back far enough for such a descent.

I did hear of one guy who made it up Fleecer on a KLR. He was an experienced trials rider, the bike was geared down, and he had a support truck carrying his gear.