dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
The original post has it priced at:

Jacket: CDN$1499
Pants: CDN$999

That's like US$200.00 total or something.
the thing is that Canadian motorcycle and related gear prices are completely out of line with American prices. More than relfected by simple exchange rates (which is about 95% of the American dollar right now).

I paid almost exactly 50% less for a Yamaha trunk mounting bracket when I bought it in the states.

Four years ago we paid $1000 for a RP2 JACKET, that's right just the jacket. Prices have spiked since then (about 6 months ago) . I am having trouble finding a current CDN price for the RP2 jacket, but I bet it's close to $1200.

I bet the Klim suit in the States is priced closer to $1800.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #92
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Klim

I called KLIM yesterday, and spoke to Customer Service about a repair to my Dakar pants. I gently probed about a release date for the Adventure Suit. The very nice gal acted as if I had called the wrong company! She was very well-versed in giving non-answers. I'm not complaining at all...no reason for them to build up false expectations....just sayin' we're not going to get any info from them, so please continue speculating. ;-)

Olyrider
Old 12-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #93
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider
I called KLIM yesterday, and spoke to Customer Service about a repair to my Dakar pants. I gently probed about a release date for the Adventure Suit. The very nice gal acted as if I had called the wrong company! She was very well-versed in giving non-answers. I'm not complaining at all...no reason for them to build up false expectations....just sayin' we're not going to get any info from them, so please continue speculating. ;-)

Olyrider

Well, appparently they've dropped marketing materials in Canada, so it can't be toooo far off.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #94
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
The original post has it priced at:

Jacket: CDN$1499
Pants: CDN$999

That's like US$200.00 total or something.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #95
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,482
I'm with Xeraux on this one.

I may not be as fast as a lot of the guys here, and I may not commute daily, but when it comes to versatility and tough gear I have my needs; and KLiM has it covered.

I'm a gear whore, I admit it. I have probably 15 pairs of gloves, 4 Street Jackets, a couple enduro coats, several pullovers, and I bet 6-8 full sets of offroad gear. The A-stars Tech 6 and 8 boots, the Gaerne road racing boots, the A-stars Goretex ones.... blah blah blah

I just want the shit that works. And everybody with a 'Stitch says they get a wet crotch.

My method of thinking is this: "If you're 100 miles from nowhere, and something fails; How much would you be willing to pay to have the proper piece of equipment?" Be it a set of bar risers, a clutch lever, a chain, a jacket, etc. At that point, you know how much that piece of equipment is worth to you.

I ride to VERY out of the way places. Places where a Quad, a winch, 100' of rope, three drunk friends, and a Chainsaw are required to recover a motorcycle. And I can't afford to have a failure under those circumstances. Mechanical, or with my gear.

CodyY screwed with this post 12-09-2009 at 12:47 PM
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #96
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,767
I guess I'm still missing how this suit is so revolutionary and thus can command such a high price

It looks a very nice piece of kit and I understand people want kit that works but what does this have that other suits doesn't

It seems it's waterproof, with waterproof zips, has good armor and pockets on the back and it caters for a Leatt - other jackets have similar features. What else does it have that others do not ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #97
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Looks nice, but price. WTF?

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #98
osteo OP
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
I'm just reading Pyndon's Ride Report and came across this post of his:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. FantaStik
How were your jacket and pants in the heat? Were you able to test them in rain? If there were any? Thanks!

Awesome shell for the desert, lots of ventilation and protection while it doesn't feel like your wearing a jacket at all. This suit was built for the Dakar Riders but with the keen adventure rider also in mind. No rain in Africa however, earlier in the year I rode to the Netherlands and on the way back I rode through blizzards, heavy rain and sleet for 600 miles and the gear stood up well. The Gore Zippers that form the vents for the desert kept the rain out in Europe. Thumbs up for sure. I think they are hoping to have a production version out by the end of the year

Pyn

Quote:
It seems it's waterproof, with waterproof zips, has good armor and pockets on the back and it caters for a Leatt - other jackets have similar features. What else does it have that others do not ?
Waterproofness that should actually really work! (being gore-tex), not many jackets actually cater to the Leatt - I can only think of 2 others and the Acerbis does not compare in features. The attention to detail - for example, I know this is the case with their new Dakar Pants (but I think it extends to all their pants now) the thread used for the stitching is now a weaved tiny rope (as it was explained to me by the Rep - mind you I just looked at mine and can see it is thicker but can't see the weave, but it is shiny and hard to differentiate).

I'd like to see the list of other jackets with the same features , you mentioned it a few pages back... still waiting...

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #99
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
I guess I'm still missing how this suit is so revolutionary and thus can command such a high price

It looks a very nice piece of kit and I understand people want kit that works but what does this have that other suits doesn't

Yes, there are other jackets with "similar features"; but there is no other SINGLE jacket that has ALL the features. Add on top of that the fact that its a GoreTex Pro Shell and its in a class by its self. Have you priced a Mountain Hardware Pro Shell lately? Wanna talk about stupid money for a jacket?

This kit is like buying a Mercedes, Lexus, or BMW. Yes, a Taurus or Altima will get you down the road, but it wont have every feature you want, or perform as well. Gotta pay to play.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:11 AM   #100
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264

Yeah you don't get it!

The Klim gear is waterproof unlike other gear which has layers of zip in waterproof liners. The BMW clothing when wet gets soaked feels heavy, but it's the the Goretex liner that keeps you dry underneath that saggy baggy suit. This gear is akin to survival mountaineering clothing. It is the first suit designed for motorcycling which is actually made from breathable yet waterproof material. Unlike any other suit is is not only compatible with the Leatt brace but also has a waterproof cover, so you can ride in comfort with protection.

You don't get it cause no other jacket or pant combo is compatible. You are trying to compare apples with mangoes!

Cheers

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 AM   #101
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Great stuff!

Of course you could buy a bike or two for that kind of money, but who cares- I just bought a top-of-the-line Gericke Tuareg jacket with "just" a Gore performance-shell liner and suddenly all of my gear combined costs more than my bike.

Hein Gericke also offers a cold weather jacket with outer pro-shell fabrics now and the jacket pushes €700 / $1000. The Klim jacket looks so much better, is made for touring and racing and has the killer option of Leatt compatibility. I am very much looking forward to the Euro pricing.

Of course there are options all the way down the line; Louis just offered an "adventure-style" (long, lots of pockets) jacket with CE armor and some kind of "water-proof" membrane starting at €45 (!). I'm sure such a piece of gear is fine for the occasional rider who carries a rain suit for longer rides in the wet. But I remember my first ever ride in autumn when it got dark, cool and it started to rain. At that day I swore to myself I would never be so miserable again and started to put down money for the best gear I can afford. It took me 3 years to go and buy my Tuareg, waiting for clearance sales. I can see myself starting to save for a piece like the Klim jacket as well.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 AM   #102
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
I get it !

Rukka,Hein Gericke,Alpinestars,Dane and Bikers just to name a few use the Gore-Tex Pro shell in some of their jackets......Now Klim jumps on the band wagon but adds a Harness and a Leatt compatible collar. Awesome

I dont see much point in the Harness, and it looks like you`d have to remove the jacket to get anything out of the back pockets, unless your a contortionist. Neck brace... well not whilst on the road as i like to turn my head to see whats coming.Out in the bush a Kreiga hydro back pack and a good jacket with the Klim Stowaway jacket as a throw over is unbeatable

Out in the Dakar race.......Get the Klim Adventure ensemble to match your $40K entry fee and $100K race bike complete with spare parts.
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:40 AM   #103
HBToni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
What a nice suit. Seems my rather inexpensive suit does the job just fine though. Usually my feet and hands are the only parts lacking in comfort. I love the idea of that gel; I imagine it's like water and cornstarch on steroids. The pockets in the back seem unnecessary. But hey, in the name of Science!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:57 AM   #104
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
I'm interested in the pants mainly. I have a gore laminated jacket i like, but have never been happy with any water proof pants. These look to be the ticket with vents that work (like the dakar pants I own) and strong water proof fabric. I'd pay for that cause I can't get it anywhere else.
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:01 AM   #105
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,093
I think I'll need wait until they go to the markdown bin.