Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 AM   #106
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
this looks like an amazing suit. Pretty much what may end my buying/selling obsession, but, unlike all the cheerleaders so far, I'd like to see what reality brings in a year or 3.

Remember, the much hyped Rev'it Infinity turned out to be beta at best. lets see what the real world brings, then I might be selling everything I own for this jacket!

The D30 armor seems great, but, I'd like to know if it gets rock hard when cold like so much other new armor out now. I'd be interested in seeing how it compares to the likes of T-pro, Sas-Tec and NP. The latter two are not acceptable to me thanks to how hard they get in the cold. Others don't see that as a problem, but, I don't want to land on it. T-Pro stays soft, as does the Quad armor in my Motoport pants.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #107
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
The D30 armor seems great, but, I'd like to know if it gets rock hard when cold like so much other new armor out now. I'd be interested in seeing how it compares to the likes of T-pro, Sas-Tec and NP. The latter two are not acceptable to me thanks to how hard they get in the cold. Others don't see that as a problem, but, I don't want to land on it. T-Pro stays soft, as does the Quad armor in my Motoport pants.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the 3DO armour and the BMW NP armour are the same thing.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #108
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
I have a sneaking suspicion that the 3DO armour and the BMW NP armour are the same thing.

Same thing, but, much less coverage Anyway, from what I've seen, they appear to be quite different

1971 Lambretta DL
Old 12-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #109
osteo OP
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Same thing, but, much less coverage Anyway, from what I've seen, they appear to be quite different

Now that is cool!! I guess I need to do some Youtube surfing!

I think it was asked -if the Harness is removeable and I do not think so, at least that I could tell.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #110
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,557
this one is my fav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDeJ...layer_embedded
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #111
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:

"Same thing", but "quite different".

All kidding aside. What do you mean?

My speculation, (and that's all it is is speculation) is that they're the same material and BMW's "exclusivity" agreement expired.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #112
davidlomax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
My name is Dave Lomax, together with Chris Colling I own Adventure-Spec Ltd.

If you look closely on the jacket front lower left pocket (and on the pant) you will see our logo, you will also see our name mentioned in the promotional material presented at the start of the thread.

The reason for this is that together with Klim and WLGore Chris and I are responsible for collaborating on the design of the suit.

This suit wasnt just designed on paper, what you see in these photographs is the third version of the suit after testing by multiple riders (including us) over approx 40-50k MILES of on and off road riding in all weather conditions.

This suit was NOT designed as a road suit with pretty extra bits and sandy coloured patches. Every single part of the suit has a purpose and was designed with nothing in mind other than a total riding focus.

This suit wasnt designed to a price. It was designed to do a job, and when we finished we worked out how much we needed to sell it for to make a standard profit. I can honestly say that I doubt there has EVER been a piece of clothing available to bikers that has more R&D and design focus than this. It is almost identical to our initial brief. No bean counters or 'design experts' have cut corners or added/removed pointless tat.

I can understand that there is speculation regarding many parts of the suit, particularly if you have never actually seen or worn one, but perhaps we can help some of the debate here.

Ask away...we can hopefully explain some of the features we designed in to the garments and reasons behind them.

Dave
www.Adventure-Spec.com

davidlomax screwed with this post 12-24-2009 at 12:58 AM
davidlomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #113
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlomax

If you look closely on the jacket front lower left pocket (and on the pant) you will see our logo, you will also see our name mentioned in the promotional material presented at the start of the thread.

The reason for this is that Chris and I are responsible for all of the design concepts and ideas contained within the new Klim suit. We wrote the design spec for the garment and acted as consulatants throughout the design process.

This suit wasnt just designed on paper, what you see in these photographs is the third version of the suit after testing by multiple riders (including us) over approx 40-50k MILES of on and off road riding in all weather conditions.

This suit was NOT designed as a road suit with pretty extra bits and sandy coloured patches. Every single part of the suit has a purpose and was designed with nothing in mind other than a total riding focus.

This suit wasnt designed to a price. It was designed to do a job, and when we finished we worked out how much we needed to sell it for to make a standard profit. I can honestly say that I doubt there has EVER been a piece of clothing available to bikers that has more R&D and design focus than this. It is almost identical to our initial brief. No bean counters or 'design experts' have cut corners or added/removed pointless tat thanks to Klim and GoreTex believing in our design.

I can understand that there is speculation regarding many parts of the suit, particularly if you have never actually seen or worn one, but perhaps we can help some of the debate here.

Ask away...we can hopefully explain some of the features we designed in to the garments and reasons behind them.

Dave
Did you really ask yourselves, "How can Xeraux fuck this thing up?"

Obviously, I'm just kidding.

Thanks for weighing in on this.

Any plans to market it in the U.S.?

Are you comfortable sharing some kind of time frame if you are?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #114
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:

The reason for this is that Chris and I are responsible for all of the design concepts and ideas contained within the new Klim suit. We wrote the design spec for the garment and acted as consulatants throughout the design process.

This suit wasnt designed to a price. It was designed to do a job, and when we finished we worked out how much we needed to sell it for to make a standard profit. I can honestly say that I doubt there has EVER been a piece of clothing available to bikers that has more R&D and design focus than this. It is almost identical to our initial brief. No bean counters or 'design experts' have cut corners or added/removed pointless tat thanks to Klim and GoreTex believing in our design.

Dave
Wow! Now, that is an endorsement, and, a resource for all of us. ! Awesome! Thanks for signing in, and, putting yourself out there. It says alot about your commitment, and, your reputation.

As mentioned above, I'm curious about this armor. Does it get hard when cold? What are the test #'s compared to other high end armor out there?

How well is the ventilation? How hot can you comfortably wear the suit?

Can you add any photos of the suit without the brace? Is there a ton of extra bulk around the neck?

Looks great! Can't wait to see it in the flesh.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 12-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #115
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux

All kidding aside. What do you mean?
There's no way you could literally wrap a piece of NP around your finger like they did in that video. Well, at least not the elbow armor I have in my garage
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 12-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #116
MOLAHS
Sisyphus

Oddometer: 1,651
Doesn't the BMW Comfortshell suit offer very similar specifications ?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #117
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLAHS
Doesn't the BMW Comfortshell suit offer very similar specifications ?
Such as?

Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #118
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
There's no way you could literally wrap a piece of NP around your finger like they did in that video. Well, at least not the elbow armor I have in my garage
nor can you d30 after it is turned from goo into the armor. Search around again on you tube and you'll see that the goo is not the armor and the armor is more gel like, simular to the np.
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #119
osteo OP
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:

Dave

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #120
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Hey guys. I just heard from my Klim rep. Looks like a April 2010 release on the suit. Jacket $1299.99, Pants $844.99.

Don't shoot!

husky123 screwed with this post 12-10-2009 at 04:15 PM
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote