Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
where2next? OP
Map guy

Oddometer: 170
what model scooter is this and it it worth buying for $300???

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ170292774

I recently moved to a new province (for school) where motorcycle insurance is super expensive. I have been thinking about buying this suzuki 50 scooter either for a winter project or to keep to commute on. I'm handy with a wrench so scooters don't scare me, but I'm wondering how reliable/ good are these suzuki 50's and what should I look for when I go to check it out?

how do you know if the variator is good?
what are the common problems with scooters?
how much does it cost to do tires and brakes on a scooter like this??
after a full reconditioning, how much do you think it's worth?
is there a scooter specific forum out there that's good? I found a couple but nothing like here or thumprtalk....

What about parts availability... is there a good place to go for this type of thing? can you even get parts for 1994 scooters without ordering from micronesia?

Love ADV, glad to see there's a scooter forum.. maybe i'll be following these threads soon....

Fin

EDIT:

OK, it's an AE 50, I figured it out minutes after I put up the post

where2next? screwed with this post 12-03-2009 at 10:29 PM
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
ronnath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarydrz

how do you know if the variator is good?
what are the common problems with scooters?
how much does it cost to do tires and brakes on a scooter like this??
after a full reconditioning, how much do you think it's worth?
is there a scooter specific forum out there that's good?

variator: a quick ride should tell you that. if it's bad, it won't go. BTW: if it does go, don't expect more than ~25/30mph for a four stroke. maybe a tad faster if a two stroke.

problems: older scoots will be tough to find replacement parts. most of the name-brand scoots are pretty good and reliable. just normal wear and tear for their ages unless it was owned by some kid who beat the shit out of it.

tires: depends upon if you do it yourself. tires ~30 bucks each. dealer mounted - god only knows - ~75 each?

brakes: sorry, no idea. again a parts availability issue.

reconditioned value: not much more than you paid for it. old scoots are just not worth that much.

forums:
-urbanscootin.com
-totalruckus.com
-scootdawg.com
ronnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
viclavigne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
After reconditioning, which may include tires, carb cleaning, oil change and maybe valve adjustment, value is regional. That is, look at your classifieds and craigslist and see what used 50cc scoots are selling for. Probably not much. Suzuki is a good name brand for a scooter, but one that old.... I wouldn't expect more than $600 US. Still, $300 is not bad if it is in decent running condition, I'd be tempted myself.
viclavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Scooter are cheap fun.

Or you can go apeshit, like the motoiq guys who are modifying a 50cc Ruckus to be a 50mph screamer.

Of course, I was wanting one before reading this - this article hasn't helped.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
ernest t bass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Spend a few more bucks on initial investment.(buy something better)

This will pay off big time.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
scooterpartsco
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarydrz
... I'm wondering how reliable/ good are these suzuki 50's and what should I look for when I go to check it out?

What about parts availability... is there a good place to go for this type of thing? can you even get parts for 1994 scooters without ordering from micronesia?
On a 2T scooter, there are basically two parts groups you want to make sure you can get. These are the Top End and the Variator/Belt/Clutch group (V/B/C). A good way to check parts availability is to look at the OEM parts fiches that some dealers put on their website. If the scooter is not listed, parts may not be readily available from the manufacturer, and the kid who works at the parts counter because he loves the GSX-R600 will have no interest in helping you track down part numbers for a scooter.

For a daily driver, the best older scooters are ones that had a long production run and were sold for many years in your country. If there was a performance aftermarket, it is even better. The OEMs tend to keep prices of replacement parts down if you have an aftermarket alternative.

You can also check the Australian and English Ebay sites to find replacement parts for a lot of older scooters. You can often find big bore kits there for scooters that you have trouble finding stock parts for in the US.

I've seen the Suzuki smallbore product in other countries, and it seems to be a good line of scooters. You can check foreign websites to see if there are many of this particular model (or the same unit with a different name/numerical designation ie. C3/Giggle, Ruckus/Zoomer, Zuma BWS) for sale with high km. This is a good indicator that the vehicle will last.

Something that you might want to check with this unit is whether or not it uses the same engine unit as the LTA50, a small 2T ATV that Suzuki sold for many years in the US and probably in Canada.

scooterpartsco screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 10:03 AM
scooterpartsco is offline   Reply With Quote