User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
VTXmotoman OP
Adventure Dad

Oddometer: 27
green earth renegade 50 anygood?

Need some advice. I have two daughters (13 and 11) that want scooters for Christmas. We were going to get them 750W electric scooters but for not much more we can get them 50cc gas scooters (Green Earth Renegade 50 for $590). I realize that these are not "top of line" but I don't want to buy junk either. Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Update: After much searching I did manage to find a complete spec. sheet for this model which answered my questions.

VTXmotoman screwed with this post 12-04-2009 at 11:50 AM
VTXmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXmotoman
two daughters (13 and 11)
At those ages, providing them with street legal motorized scooters would definitely "enhance their odds" of becoming organ donors. In a few years . . might consider some pink scooters from Pep Boys.

tortoise2 screwed with this post 12-04-2009 at 03:57 PM
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 694
My brother and I were riding our Honda 55 at 13 and 14, first in our grandfather's large rural yard and then all over our uncle's farm while we worked there every summer. By the time we were legal, there were 6 bikes in the family between my brother, dad and I.

Before we were legal, we rode on the rural roads in Northern Wisconsin and were making 25 mile loops on the country gravel. Besides that mistake, we fell, we 'bumped' into things and made our fair share of mistakes, none of these last mistakes on rural roads but in yards, in the pastures, the woods and on field roads. It was a unique time and a unique situation as well. All of this without the gear we consider mandatory today.

I'd never advise anyone else on how to handle their situation, but I will tell you that I made almost every one of my mistakes early in an environment that was relatively benign. I bought a Honda 350 while a Junior in High School and owned a Sportster before I graduated.

All of those mistakes were then and I consider them a major contributor to the fact that I've not had trouble since then. It's about attitude, maturity, gear and training. We've got 4 kids old enough and I'm the only one in the family that rides.

Your Mileage will Vary.
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXmotoman
Need some advice. I have two daughters (13 and 11) that want scooters for Christmas. We were going to get them 750W electric scooters but for not much more we can get them 50cc gas scooters (Green Earth Renegade 50 for $590). I realize that these are not "top of line" but I don't want to buy junk either. Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Update: After much searching I did manage to find a complete spec. sheet for this model which answered my questions.
I gotta ask...Is 13yo scooter legal where you live (such as it is here in NM if the kid gets a special license via a test)? If not, where exactly are they going to ride them? Why not just buy them a couple cheap electric bicycles? At least those would be street legal for them.

As for the scooter you're looking at: Sorry, but you're likely setting yourself up for a headache. They are junk. Same model is sold under different names, none of which is generating rave reviews.

Sure this is an online review, but it doesn't make me feel confident in them:
http://www.scootersitereviews.com/in...m?page=reviews
"Lately we have been receiving complaints about www.greenearthscooters.com. Most of the complaints are regarding customers who bought a scooter from them. They state green earth scooters will not pick up the phone or call anyone back, leaving customers with broken scooters in the dust. We decided to investigate and what we found out will blow you away. When you try and call their 888 number you get a robotic voicemail that says they will call you back. No one ever calls you back. We then tried contacting them via email. All we got was an automatic generated reply. We have tried contacting them thru DNS record lookup (Database on who owns what web site)and we found out they use a private registration company that hides their identity so no one can track them down if you have a problem. We also receive complaints that it takes 14-21 days to ship out your product once ordered. We have also received many emails stating that the scooter they purchased online cannot be registered in there state because they do not hold a dealer license for that state. We are working to find answers for you customers who have been ripped off. We will keep you updated on what we come up with."
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2
At those ages, providing them with street legal motorized scooters would definitely "enhance their odds" of becoming organ donars. In a few years . . might consider some pink scooters from Pep Boys.
Pep Boys is pretty notorious for selling crap scooters. Sure they are a brick-n-motar store, but have you ever looked at how they are assembled? I've looked at scooters in Pep Boys in several different states. They are uniformly ill-assembled. Stuff is loose or even missing. Plastic is paper thin. Last week I was in Denver at a Pep Boys buying oil and any scooter or motorcycle over 50cc had a sign on it that legally they couldn't sell them in Colorado. WTF?

If you're going to buy a shitty Chinese scooter, at least find a local dealer who might actually know something about the scooters they unbox and assemble from China. Pep Boys pretty much has the same people who set up the in-store displays for just over minimum wage assemble the scooters.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
VTXmotoman OP
Adventure Dad

Oddometer: 27
Thanks all for the advice, it is much appreciated. I was hoping (dreaming) that my daughters would ride them only on our property, but now I realize that it wouldn't be long before they were tempted to ride around the neighborhood on the public streets. I'm not sure if the electric scooters are legal on the public streets or not. There are several kids in the neighborhood zipping around on them which is why my daughters want them. Does anyone know how safe they are? I would think that they are not powerful enough to ride on anything other than pavement. The motorized (gas) scooters are a no go now.

VTXmotoman screwed with this post 12-04-2009 at 03:15 PM
VTXmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Tell them no.

Wait until they are MATURE enough for mopeds. Not just old enough.

'Nuff said.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Hope this isn't too off-topic, but keep the MSF Dirt Bike School in mind:

http://www.dirtbikeschool.com/

Not sure what's nearby for you, but when I took the course there were several youngsters in the class with me and we all had a great time--and the kids took a remarkably mature approach to the riding. I drove 3 hours to get there and it was well worth the trip.

It's a different direction--it won't have your kids zipping around the neighborhood with other scooter-kids--but as most of us know, a youngster on a dirtbike is a pretty cool thing (my time on my Z-50 in my youth was directly related to grades and chores.... ) when combined with the family joining in the fun, even if you're just carting a dirt bike over to the local unused field that's being used by other families as an impromptu track.

My time off-road as a kid did a lot for me in terms of skills when I got on a road bike in HS.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw the idea in the mix if they're excited about two wheels.

I think you're doing the right thing by holding off for a bit until they've got the age/maturity to do this, though that's something you're going to be the best judge of. Some kids do fine early on...others require more time...and others aren't going to be a good fit as kids or adults on a bike.

Best of luck.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 498
My 13 year old daughter has her own Yamaha Vino 2T, and she is a very responsible rider. We often go out as a family on our scooters through Charleston. It's a great way to spend time with the family without having to listen to your wife. The only bad habits my daughter has were picked up following her mother through boulevard stops and California right turns.

that said, the chinese scooters built for the American market are built as cheaply as possible. All the components are low quality, and the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired.

When you buy your daughters scooters, buy quality, and buy single seat. The Vino and the Metropolitan are both good choices for this reason. You don't want them giving other kids rides.

Scooters are great for kids. It gives you one more thing to take away when they misbehave.
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote