Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Patacca OP
Pimp my SE italian style

Oddometer: 554
Question left hand rear brake...(+rekluse)

Hi to all
As I was thinking to go for the rekluse (for really dirt everybody here seams to love it and I guess in downhill it can be usefull not to switch off the engine when not want to).

My questions are....

How many of you (using rekluse) have the rear brake on the left hand now, and which solution did you follow.
a) I mean which (brand and model) pump-lever kit did you buy.
b) what happened to the normal clutch lever (did you remove it or you put a smaller one or what else....

Thanx but here there is noone using it so I can't find info for these things.

CIAO RAF

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

http://www.myktm.it/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=223

Patacca screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 01:20 PM
Patacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patacca
Hi to all
As I was thinking to go for the rekluse (for really dirt everybody here seams to love it and I guess in downhill it can be usefull not to switch off the engine when not want to).

My questions are....

How many of you (using rekluse) have the rear brake on the left hand now, and which solution did you follow.
a) I mean which (brand and model) pump-lever kit did you buy.
b) what happened to the normal clutch lever (did you remove it or you put a smaller one or what else....

Thanx but here there is noone using it so I can't find info for these things.

CIAO RAF

You might also consider one of these, best of both worlds: retain manual clutch control AND have the rear brake on the bars:

http://www.clake.com.au/
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
I don't think you want to remove the clutch lever, because once the engine is up to "operating" RPM you still use the clutch lever normally, the Rekluse is really for the low RPM friction point stuff. You still gotta shift somehow, and I'm certainly not good enough to clutchless shift reliably (nor do I want to, the clutch is there for a reason!).

Having a left-hand rear thumb brake would be trick as hell!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #4
Windy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
I don't think you want to remove the clutch lever, because once the engine is up to "operating" RPM you still use the clutch lever normally, the Rekluse is really for the low RPM friction point stuff. You still gotta shift somehow, and I'm certainly not good enough to clutchless shift reliably (nor do I want to, the clutch is there for a reason!).
I can testify to that! last weekend my clutch slave failed half way into a 300 mile trip. The Rekluse meant I could keep going (and ride back the following day) But clutchless shifting made the journey more than a little hairy

Phil
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,198
Iīm all in clutchless and have 70 hours on the complete kit. A really good kit when it comes to rocky area and especially when you are riding steep downhill.

Regards
Mikael
Denmark

Ps: Itīs on my 530
Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Patacca OP
Pimp my SE italian style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locul@hotmail.com
Iīm all in clutchless and have 70 hours on the complete kit. A really good kit when it comes to rocky area and especially when you are riding steep downhill.

Regards
Mikael
Denmark

Ps: Itīs on my 530
I was thinking excatly that!

In trikky condition downhill I guess I will appreciate the rekluse so that I don't have to worry about the rear brake stopping and the engine suddenly (that will be a really problem if the engine stops there is no way to release the clutch hoping the engine will start again in the rocks or mud downhill)

So you don't have anymore the clutch on your 530 or you still have it?

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
You might also consider one of these, best of both worlds: retain manual clutch control AND have the rear brake on the bars:
http://www.clake.com.au/
As at July 2008 the CLAKE retails at AUD $1180 (about $1080 USD)
You can get a complete rekluse pro setup WITH rear brake for a lot less than that...
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
Patacca OP
Pimp my SE italian style

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
As at July 2008 the CLAKE retails at AUD $1180 (about $1080 USD)
You can get a complete rekluse pro setup WITH rear brake for a lot less than that...

Do you have a link or something to check?

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor

Having a left-hand rear thumb brake would be trick as hell!
How have you set your up then? The whole idea is no clutch lever is needed as it's automatic. Just roll off the throttle, rekluse will kick in like pulling in a clutch lever, change gear, roll back on the throttle. Seems the normal setup is at idle clutch is fully engaged, at just above idle it's slipping the clutch, above that it's off. Depending on springs / bearings used you can change the amount of slip and where it's fully engaged.

Never had a rekluse on something as big as a 950/990, or used the pro version (I think that's the only one for 950) but it's the same principle, so surely closing the throttle kicks the clutch in and change gear like normal?

Even if you have yours setup to slip at idle rather than fully engaged, it's still enough for an easy gear change. So I guess I don't understand why you need the clutch lever at all to change gear with a rekluse. Unless I am completley missing something on the 990/950 setup?

I never use the clutch lever with a rekluse, but then again I do clutch-less shifts a lot of the time on bikes with clutches, so maybe I just don't feel it.

I completley understand not wanting to loose the manual override, as I still constantly use the manual clutch on the smaller KTM's with rekluse. I've lost count of times I've kicked the bike over in gear thinking it's in neutral, or needed the clean out a bogged carb on high altitude, not very nice if you don't have a manual clutch.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patacca
I was thinking excatly that!

So you don't have anymore the clutch on your 530 or you still have it?
Hep

Yep i donīt have the lever mounted anymore. I switched it for the Left hand brake. It works really good. Iīve ridden in some nasty rocky sections in Enduromaniacs(Romania). Just concentrate on driving the (mountain)bike

Still if you donīt have the clutchlever and quickchange as i do. It wonīt release/disengage fast enough in racepace. Not that it matters anyways, just for your info. Well thats the case with my 530. The engine is to "slow" to disengage the "rekluse-way". But when slowriding and especially in technical sections.

I donīt really se the use on the 950/990, but i havenīt tried it yet.

Regards
Mikael
Denmark
Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,718
Lots of very accomplished riders swear the LHRB is enough reason to go with the Rekluse, and the auto clutch is just a bonus. At one point, I nearly converted my clutch to a brake handle, but:

After using mine for about a year, I often still use the clutch manually. This weekend, I had a dirt ride with my taller dual-sport gearing installed and it helped on rocky hill climbs to have the clutch control.

It does, however, vary with the setup of the Rekluse. Mine was set up by someone pretty experienced who knew the right engagement point and the desired amount of slippage- all controllable via tungsten balls, etc.

Even when I had a manual clutch, I didn't use it more than about 50% of the time, except for starting from a standstill. A bike transmission is not like that of a car with syncros, etc.

Clearly you don't slam the gearbox under pressure, but clutchless shifting is common.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,214
I periodically drive Rigs and we always clutchless shift them so I got in the habit. Drive my Toyota P/U and my 950 the same way. 26,000 on it with no issues.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Maybe but what is the right setup for you Fakename??

You should set it up yourself. There isnīt any right setting. Mine engage a little when the engine is iddle. Thats because the grunt of the 530 is good at handling it with all the tourqe.

Regards
Mikael
Denmark
Old 12-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Windy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger
How have you set your up then? The whole idea is no clutch lever is needed as it's automatic. Just roll off the throttle, rekluse will kick in like pulling in a clutch lever, change gear, roll back on the throttle.
I have no idea what the difference is with the different versions/bikes, but it doesn't work like that on mine (z-start pro, 990 A).

The only way to disengage the clutch with the Rekluse is to lower the rpm to idle, however engine braking forces the rpm to stay above idle untill you are almost at a standstill, not a good plan when changing from 6th to 5th at 80 on the motorway!

Before anyone disagrees, I admit there is a very good chance I don't know what I'm doing
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy
I have no idea what the difference is with the different versions/bikes, but it doesn't work like that on mine (z-start pro, 990 A).

The only way to disengage the clutch with the Rekluse is to lower the rpm to idle, however engine braking forces the rpm to stay above idle untill you are almost at a standstill, not a good plan when changing from 6th to 5th at 80 on the motorway!

Before anyone disagrees, I admit there is a very good chance I don't know what I'm doing
Not disagreeing, but you know you can change that behavior? They give you a bunch of springs and ball bearings (different material), and a chart. The chart will list how hard you want the clutch to hit or slip, and also the RPM for clutch to take effect.

So if you did want to change what you describe (I'm not saying this is the best thing to do, it's a personal thing). You could either higher the RPM of the clutch disengage, or you could add more clutch slip (soften the hit). Either will make the clutch effective at a higher RPM, but will give you vastly different feeling at low speed / RPM.

On the 950/990 you may well not be able to dial all that out to get a smooth gear change, out due to the speed / mass of the flywheel as you said. I've only ever run rekluse on 2 strokes (light flywheel by comparison) and am use to clutchless shifts, so never noticed what you describe.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote