ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
roborider OP
New River Roborider

Oddometer: 238
Appomattox, Virginia Horizons Unlimited Travelers Meeting- April 9-12th, 2015!

Here's an April event to put on your calendar - Horizons Unlimited Motorcycle Traveler's meeting in Appomattox, Virginia, USA! The HUBB events are great opportunities to meet fellow riders, learn from experienced regional and round-the-world travelers, and have a great time!

And an added bonus to celebrate (or mourn!) the 150th anniversary of the surrender of General Lee to General Grant at the nearby historic Appomattox Courthouse.

Horizons Unlimited Virginia Event Schedule

This event is taking place from Thursday, April 9 to Sunday, April 12, 2015.

On-site registration/check-in will open on Thursday, April 9, at 1:00 pm.

There will be presentations and tech clinics on Thursday evening; Friday and Saturday afternoons and evenings; and Saturday afternoon and evening. We plan ride-outs on Friday and Saturday mornings. Come early and make it a great weekend! Recommend riding in on Thursday and leaving on Sunday, and participating fully in the activities in between to make the most of your HU experience.

Throughout the meeting, there will be talks, demonstrations, and other fun sessions, including interesting ride-out opportunities. In addition to hearing inspiring stories of overland adventure from around the world, you'll learn how to prepare for your journey, navigation tips, first-aid basics, photography, and a host of other essential topics. Whatever your past experience has been or your future plans may be, there will something for everyone.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/events/virginia-2015

Thanks for anything you can do to help spread the word about the event. There is a poster that you can print off and hand around to local venues and bike shops too: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/eve...2015poster.pdf
Old 01-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Any challenging dual sport tracks in the area?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
roborider OP
New River Roborider

Oddometer: 238
I believe they're going to have a couple of ride outs and that there will be varying levels of difficulty. But I'm not sure about the off road difficulty of these.

Roborider - NC700x - Southwest Virginia
Old 01-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,259
Alan, there will be a basic skills off-road riding clinic taught by me and at least one dual sport ride as well. Someone of your skill level would be bored silly in the class as this will cater to the off-road novices, beginners who have never had any formal training or for those riders who wish to brush up on basic skills and discover bad habits.

We will be scouting out DS tracks soon.

Some of the topics covered will include: "most common" mistakes made by street riders off-road, friction zone management, proper body positioning when turning, braking, climbing, decending, etc, what to do if you stall on a hill or what to do when you want to turn around after realizing hill is too steep, proper ergonomics of controls, where you should be looking, and of course, the safest ways for one or two people to pick up fallen bike.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 01-21-2015 at 01:46 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
stevebmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks to roborider for posting about the Horizons Unlimited Virginia Travellers Meeting. I'm the organizer for it, and I hope y'all will consider coming to this inaugural event.

We've got a pretty good set of presenters scheduled already and there are going to be two organized ride-outs. The first, on Friday morning, will focus on the end of the Civil War. Our leader, Buck Liberto, a retired Marine Colonel, is a descendent of Confederate fighters, and he'll take the group on a paved road journey tracing the last steps of Lee's army, ending at Appomattox Courthouse. I imagine this will involve riding to a spot, dismounting for a discussion of what happened there, then remounting and moving to the next location. At the Courthouse, folks will have time to explore and ponder this momentous time in our nation's history.

The second ride-out, led by Eddy Alvarez, will follow a session on basic off-road techniques, as Eddy has already stated. The state forest where we're holding the event contains about 22 miles of mixed travel ways -- paved roads, gravel roads, dirt paths, etc. My thought is to take the group through the park, using as many of the non-paved roads as possible. This isn't going to be a hard-core dirt ride; as Eddy said, most of the HU participants are travelers, not necessarily dirt bikers. We want them to learn a bit about riding off-road and not hurt or scare themselves.

The seminars should be fun. Grant and Susan Johnson, founders of HU, will be on hand, and we'll have plenty to see and do, including a session just for women riders. All the details and registration info are located on the web page: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/events/virginia-2015. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at steve@horizonsunlimited.com. I'm on ADVRider sporadically, so that would be the best way to reach me. I'm also the sales & marketing manager at Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg, VA, so you can reach me there, too.
Sales & Marketing Manager, Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Locust Grove, Virginia USA
stevebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
blaster11
Ramping up fast!

Oddometer: 6,780
Looking forward to the event!
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #7
motomandan
Gnarly Adventurer