User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
DirtyMcStreet OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
XR650L Carb Mod question

Just did a re-jet on the XR with the Dynojet kit. It came with a 160 and a 165, we decided to go with the 160, as it seemd to be the better choice since I have a Supertrapp exhaust. I also drilled the (5/32 holes) i.e. Dave's mods, but it's running rich as hell now, and stuttering and stalling. I think we have the mixture screw at 2 1/2, and now I'm not sure if tightening it or loosening it will give me a leaner mix.
I'm also not sure if this is my only issue. Ideas?
DirtyMcStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
infsqdldr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMcStreet
Just did a re-jet on the XR with the Dynojet kit. It came with a 160 and a 165, we decided to go with the 160, as it seemd to be the better choice since I have a Supertrapp exhaust. I also drilled the (5/32 holes) i.e. Dave's mods, but it's running rich as hell now, and stuttering and stalling. I think we have the mixture screw at 2 1/2, and now I'm not sure if tightening it or loosening it will give me a leaner mix.
need a 55 pilot.
infsqdldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,078
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,743
hey i did the same thing on mine a while ago, well i only added the jet kit and took off the smog crap. but mine did the same thing, it was and still is running rich as hell. i got it down to an acceptable level but im still filling up like every sixty miles. my plan is to get a 158 main and a 55 pilot and see if that doesnt fix it. also i did notice something different that might have been there before i dont remember, but i cant cruse at a slow speed, its like the bike cant do it. at around thirty five or forty in third gear, where i would normally cruse at in town, it wount stay there it slowly climbs higher. i can always let off the throttle and just slow down but if i hold it there i just climbs higher slowly.
thats just one of the other things i happened to notice. but i will be interested to hear what comes from this thread.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMcStreet
There's no way the jetting is too rich, so something isn't right.

If you know what you're about you'll hate me for asking, but are you sure its rich?

Typically with the DJ kit you use the DJ160 with the stock exhaust, and the DJ165 with an aftermarket exhaust.

Are they running E10 (gasohol, gasoline that's 10% ethanol) in your area?

Its not always labeled, and you have to jet richer (and also much closer to perfect) for E10.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave
There's no way the jetting is too rich, so something isn't right.

If you know what you're about you'll hate me for asking, but are you sure its rich?

Typically with the DJ kit you use the DJ160 with the stock exhaust, and the DJ165 with an aftermarket exhaust.

Are they running E10 (gasohol, gasoline that's 10% ethanol) in your area?

Its not always labeled, and you have to jet richer (and also much closer to perfect) for E10.

Dave
I'll jump in since I was part of the garage day that did the install on the OP's bike.

After we had installed the jet kit and buttoned everything back up, when we started it, it was blowing what appeared to be black smoke out of the exhaust - maybe that's where the OP thought it was running rich ?

I have the same kit (not yet installed) and it says in the instructions that the kit is for bikes with stock air filters and not de-snorkeled. To my mind, that would indicate the bike was running lean (i.e. the air flow is higher than the kit is designed for) - am I barking mad or what

What does the higher number actually mean ?

Do you turn the air/fuel mixture screw in or out to richen the mixture ?

I can't help on the ethanol question.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 05-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
DirtyMcStreet OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
No, I don't know for sure that it's running rich (and don't mind you aking at all!), that just seemed to be the consensus at the time, but there's no doubt that I'm no expert (which is why Merc was helping me out).
I'm not sure on the ethanol, but it wasn't a prob before the mod.
DirtyMcStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Denn10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
air screw IN is lean and OUT is rich, what pilot you using? Did you shim the needle also per daves mods? Is all the smog stuff still on? Where do you suspect its rich? idle, mid or full throttle?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

An easy way to sort 'too rich' from 'too lean' is just go for a ride with the airbox sideplarte off.

Better = you were rich, worse = you were lean (or OK).

The DJ kit should at least be better than stock, even if you put in a foam filter and de-snorkel.

With the aftermarket pipe, you should be using the larger #165 dynojet jet.

Dave
Old 05-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,560
Denn, I think you have that backwards.

If it's an "Air" screw -- backing the screw out will provide more air, thereby leaning the mixture.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #11
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave
An easy way to sort 'too rich' from 'too lean' is just go for a ride with the airbox sideplarte off.

Better = you were rich, worse = you were lean (or OK).

The DJ kit should at least be better than stock, even if you put in a foam filter and de-snorkel.

With the aftermarket pipe, you should be using the larger #165 dynojet jet.

Dave
Thanks Dave. Good advice.

Can you confirm how the mixture screw works - i.e screwing it in makes it richer/leaner etc. as there appears to be some confusion.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Denn10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al
Denn, I think you have that backwards.

If it's an "Air" screw -- backing the screw out will provide more air, thereby leaning the mixture.
I think alot just call it the air screw but its more like air/fuel mixture screw. When asked before i looked it up in my manual and found that screwing in leans out the mixture. Im 99% sure thats right with my memory but ill make sure 100% and get back.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #13
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Its a fuel screw, in=leaner, out=richer. Meters fuel into the carb throat.

2 strokes usually have an air screw, where in=richer.

Dave
Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denn10
I think alot just call it the air screw but its more like air/fuel mixture screw. When asked before i looked it up in my manual and found that screwing in leans out the mixture. Im 99% sure thats right with my memory but ill make sure 100% and get back.
I think of it as the mixture screw also....I just don't know what the effect of screwing it in or out is
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 05-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #15

Oddometer: 6,112
X2 on the 55 pilot jet.

Whats the bike doing when you ride it?

I did the DJ kit, drilled the slide, FMF Q2, desnorkled and desmoged al at once. After the work I was running the DJ 165 and it was to rich. The bike would break up high in the RPM band and at full throttle. I went down to the DJ 160 and it was a little better. Finally I ended up putting the stock needle back in with a shim and changed the DJ 160 for a kheiln 160 and the bke runs great. It still breaks up a bit when under heavy load but its only really noticable in top gear going up hill.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote