Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #106
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,221
In the mean time I've upgraded the headlight to an 8" Trail Tech Race light which I have retro fitted w/ a Bi Xenon HID, a Baja Designs Yellow polycarb Shield and an H-4 7" Hella Hi/Low conversion. (The 7" adapter and headlight is made by Boatman on ADV)

It takes a bit of finagling to get all the wiring tucked nicely away behind the headlight.

Not much room back there to hide everything.

I also used the HID ballast mounting plate to make a custom dash to hold the OEM speedo and a couple of switches and the keyed ignition.

So far I've got the heated grips switch and a master light switch so I can turn off the lights. This came in handy this past weekend when I killed the battery trying to start the bike with it's hot start problems.

Low Beam

High Beam

Note: I could initially feel the additional weight of the headlight up front, but after a few miles of recalibration that feeling has disappeared.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #107
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

So far I've gone 1150 miles on the bike and it has been lots of fun.

A Couple of thoughts on the bike so far:

I checked the valves twice so far, at approx 350 miles and just yesterday at 1150, they have not moved a fraction of an inch and are still on the loose side of the speck.

This despite having been flogged relentlessly in the Whitewash sand dunes,

on the Colorado single track and despite running hot and having over heated several times.

The seat mod w/ memory foam has turned out to be not so great. The profile and trim is perfect, but the memory foam material is not good. Rock hard when it's cold and way too soft when hot. Will have it redone in the same profile w/ some med. density foam.

I'm not too fond of the close gear ration on the bike and wish it had a wider ratio, seems more practical for all around riding, plus you don't constantly have to shift gears to be in the sweet spot.

The vibrations have not gotten any better, you just get used to them. This past weekend I rode my buddies 525 and was amazed at how smooth the bike is, much like my old XR650R. Why does a modern bike like the Husky have to vibe so much? That really made it hard to get back on the Husky.

The Husky starter seems weak and anemic compared to the starter on a 525 which turns the bike over w/ vigor and decisiveness.

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 05:21 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #108
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,002
My bike used to overheat a lot (it's what killed my 450) but since I added Engine Ice, a higher pressure rad cap (1.8 ?) and, most importantly, a fan (I just wired it to a manual switch - no thermostat so when the bike is running, I have the fan pretty much running all the time) and so far (touch wood) it's been fine and not overheated once and it's been pretty hot here of late.

What is the problem with hot-starting ? Does it not turn over (I had to use the manual de-comp on my 450 all the time to get the engine turning over but not so much on the 510) or does it turn over and just not start ? I was going to install a switch for the headlight like you but I was told (or read somewhere mebbe) that it wouldn't help since the lighting runs directly of the stator and so doesn't help charge the battery/give more power to the starter

Good luck with both problems

Edit: Sorry...should read your entire post before I post
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #109
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,875
8000+ miles on my TE510 and never a problem with starting while warm nor any over heating in 90 to 100 temps.

Were you not the one that plugged your exhaust with something to quiet it down? Wondering if that is causing your overheat and starting issues with improper fuel metering ... What idle speed do you have your bike running at when warm?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #110
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

I just have the FMF quiet insert. The Autotune in theory should adjust for any changes in the fueling since it's running on a wide band open loop O2 sensor.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #111
Jrmobb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Thanks for all the updates. Im also running into the over heating issues. It seems my fan is on constantly whenever the weather is warm and im ridding single trail. Im sooo glad i have the overflow can since it boils over so much. I need to put Georges T inline and get the 1.8 rad cap and I think it will fix allot of my troubles.

The bikes always start up easy and the only time it has left me stranded was when the battery was super dead. I had to kick start it since starter would not crank. I got the smart idea to just kick start it and ride it around to charge the battery. I stopped for a second and the battery could not prime the fuel pump anymore and then it would not kickstart. I plan on carring a small jumper cable to prevent this from now on.

my 09 TE510 only has around 1650 miles

Autotune using o2 sensor puts the system in Closed loop. Closed loop uses the o2 sensor reading and constantly adjusts for changes.open loop saves the settings and works like a electronic carb(no o2 sensor). Weird how backwards it sounds huh

Bikes of the past:
02 rm125, 96 rmx250, 01 drz400E, 07 drz400sm
02 ktm 640, 06 ttr125
Jrmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #112
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmobb

Autotune using o2 sensor puts the system in Closed loop. Closed loop uses the o2 sensor reading and constantly adjusts for changes.open loop saves the settings and works like a electronic carb(no o2 sensor). Weird how backwards it sounds huh
Ah! Thanks for the clarification..
By the way there is a new High Flow Water pump out that has a re designed impeller thats flows much more water. The stock impeller looks like crap.

The Husky POS on the left:

Husky High Flow Impeller

Now I just need to find out where to source one!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #113
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Isn't there an argument that you don't actually want more flow - you want the coolant to stay in the radiator longer to give it more time to cool down
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #114
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Isn't there an argument that you don't actually want more flow - you want the coolant to stay in the radiator longer to give it more time to cool down
It's kind of like a Laffer Curve, there is a point of diminishing returns, but on the Husky I think need more flow, since the coolant is boiling over way too fast.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #115
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
It's kind of like a Laffer Curve, there is a point of diminishing returns, but on the Husky I think need more flow, since the coolant is boiling over way too fast.

Please report back.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #116
Jrmobb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
That impeller looks very interesting. Thanks for the post, I might have to investigate that more. At this point the overheating issue is one of my biggest complaints.

Bikes of the past:
02 rm125, 96 rmx250, 01 drz400E, 07 drz400sm
02 ktm 640, 06 ttr125
Jrmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #117
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:
Along with that is determining why the engine is running beyond normal temps that will not allow effective cooling with the factory cooling system that works on 99% of the bikes. Overheating is a symptom of a problem and putting a band-aid on it will only be a short term remedy.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #118
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
8000+ miles on my TE510 and never a problem with starting while warm nor any over heating in 90 to 100 temps.

Were you not the one that plugged your exhaust with something to quiet it down? Wondering if that is causing your overheat and starting issues with improper fuel metering ... What idle speed do you have your bike running at when warm?

That is mighty impressive

Love to know if you've had any issues with it during that time ? Have you had to replace the cam chain/valves etc. ? How many times have you had to re-shim the valves ?

Thanks
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #119
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:

That is mighty impressive

Love to know if you've had any issues with it during that time ? Have you had to replace the cam chain/valves etc. ? How many times have you had to re-shim the valves ?

Thanks
No cam chain or valve replacement. I have yet to adjust the valve clearance since it still is in spec and they never required any adjustement even at the first 600 mile check. I installed the Husky power up kit on my bike at zero miles also. Had a fork seal blow at 8K that I am just replacing. Other than normal stuff like tires, sprockets, chain, oil filters, oil and air filters it has been exceptional. The only problem I have is that it is a tall bike and my girlfriend at 5'6" isn't tall enough to ride it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365470

Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #120
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

I'm at 1150 and just checked the valves for the 2nd time and they are still on the loose end of the spec.