Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 02:39 AM   #16
ReaperX
Live life and ride free

Oddometer: 79
Talking Meet up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicDomingo
But the local culture LOVES motorsport, in particular bikes. Every time I'm anywhere in the local hills, I see lots of local dudes on their 125-400cc dirt bikes going to and from their off road rides. These are not MX riders, so there must be a selection of trails available?

I imagine that the difficulty in following the 4m loose guideline (that's how I'll think of it) must make it equally difficult to apply?
Hi there.
I'm from Vic I don't know if you know where that is, but we have been riding bikes in the hills since bikes have been invented. yes there are more laws about that but the hills are very big and no that much policing going on. Plus it's up to the ridres to take care and respect the hills thats why most of the police around these areas are well liad back. I would like to catch up with you aometime and ride some of the hills around mine you love them.
Tace care and stay in touch.
Miquel
ReaperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #17
leighandlou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurel
I've tried a few of these road books and they are very good. The perfect solution for someone looking to do an off-road trip in the Pyrénées, good mix of on/off-road, good scenery, good tracks, not too technical (these road books are for 4WD), only open tracks, informations on gas station, accomodation, etc
Ive had a look at this web site and some of the trails look stunning but unfortunatly through my own laziness i cant speak any french. can anyone tell me if they do a gps waypoint type roadbook?? and if telephoned do they speak enough english to deal with.

I am planning a 2 week trip in the area last 2 weeks of may
leighandlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #18
Rectifier
Banned

Oddometer: 30
There's trouble coming for people who ride these trails. There is a new group forming who intend to photograph and nail them for illegal riding. The legal side will be based on damage to the environment, pollution of parks and plain trespass. Any uninsured bike, any without a number etc will be hammered. Police will be obliged to act.

Be afraid, very afraid...I visit Estartit and Port Bou a lot, and hear things...
Rectifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #19
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifier
There's trouble coming for people who ride these trails. There is a new group forming who intend to photograph and nail them for illegal riding. The legal side will be based on damage to the environment, pollution of parks and plain trespass. Any uninsured bike, any without a number etc will be hammered. Police will be obliged to act.

Be afraid, very afraid...I visit Estartit and Port Bou a lot, and hear things...
I've never had a problem with the police nailing the illegal riders with no plates and going into places they're not allowed which is why the original question was asked. i.e. where are we legally allowed to ride?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #20
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
This document is titled "Natural Areas". Does that mean National parks or does it mean everywhere?
Everywhere.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #21
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:

I was stopped by police this summer 3kms from Le Perthus (that's the fortress near La Jonquera border).

I had the feeling they were looking for foreign motorbikers (some germans I think). They asked us if we were catalan and only after they let us go. They told us to leave that track as soon as possible because the circulation was temporarily banned due to fire danger. It was 1 or 2 kms on the french side.
It was a french/spanish patrol.

Maybe they know a lot of people wants to ride there, so they are permissive with the local guys and more strict with the rest (not bad at all).

I don't live there, but my Tenere's license plate is from that province, so it probably helped.

Moments after beeing stopped (same road):
Old 01-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #22
Magnon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
We did the HUMM last year in the Ripoll area and we had no problems with the Police or anyone else. We had a great time navigating our way around with a fairly poor map. the roads and the off-road are really good although the off-road was not at all as I expected in July.

I know of several people who have used the various roadbooks available and had a good holiday so I wouldn't mind giving them a go myself this year.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #23
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vander
I was stopped by police this summer

Moments after beeing stopped (same road):
I'm looking at that photo and thinking "that track's not 4 metres wide". It got me wondering where the 4m is measured from and to? In the UK the legal width of a track is not just the used bit but includes everything from hedge to hedge. Anyone know how it works when the track has scrub land each side?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #24
UK Jimbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Another Pyrenean ride report from 2008 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389446

We're just planning a repeat visit this summer.
UK Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #25
Rectifier
Banned

Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnon
We did the HUMM last year in the Ripoll
Why pay?.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #26
Magnon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Why pay?.
That was my view but it is a very enjoyable gathering and I will be doing it again this year.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #27
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Why pay?.
There's a lot of planning goes into it and you get all this in the price....
The HUMM 2010 event registration fee is £159, payable in full by April 30. The fee includes:
  • Maps (for each team)
  • Event book (for each team)
  • Trophies for all members of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams in each class
  • Certificate of completion for all finishers
  • HUMM 2010 synthetic riding t-shirt
  • Buffet style awards dinner on last night
  • Welcome and end of day beer/soft drink
  • 2 and 1/2 days of superb riding in the Spanish Pyrenees!
  • Breakdown and accident support
It is an event so don't be too tight.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #28
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Huuummmmm, (no pun intended!) slightly off topic, I know, but I must say that these organised "pay to ride" events worry me somewhat when they are organised in "sensitive" areas (where isn't these days?) especially when they are somewhere "foreign". If challenged when on a ride in the UK most of us would be eloquent enough to be able to explain ourselves and what we are doing but it would be difficult to do the same in another language.

I know that the counter argument is that legal riders on legal bikes riding legal trails should be able to ride the trails without fear of upsetting the locals but when a large number of bikes (I don't know how many the HUMM caters for) are going past the local mayors house in one day when he usually only has a few per week he's likely to close the trail or take some form of further action.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #29
Rectifier
Banned

what bikes are good for this? Big, small etc.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 AM   #30
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
what bikes are good for this? Big, small etc.
If you mean the HUMM they say it can be done on anything. You just need to acknowledge you own limitations and choose the right entry category.