Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 03:44 AM   #31
pipster
KTM 950 se

Oddometer: 155
I can Highly recommend Oliver Zehner ..Bikers paradise in Prades in the French pyrenees ..He offer motorcycle friendly accommodation and a full workshop for any repairs and secure parking...

Oliver and his wife Mireike both ride he has extensive knowledge of the legal tracks and trails all around the pyrenees and will mark up maps for day rides including lunch stops and fuel etc..

They prefer to cater for small groups and couples ...and not large groups of Arseholes just out to piss off the locals and tear up the countryside...

You can see from website the hotel is awesome and even has a pool and hot tub to wash the dust off in the evening while enjoying a cold beer

http://www.villa-du-parc.com/motorradfahren.html

pipster screwed with this post 01-06-2010 at 06:49 AM
pipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #32
Rectifier
Banned

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
If you mean the HUMM they say it can be done on anything. You just need to acknowledge you own limitations and choose the right entry category.
Thanks Black

No I wouldnt ever pay to do my riding. That just humiliates all who do.
Rectifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #33
Rectifier
Banned

Oddometer: 30
I hope you all realise that green groups read forums like this; there's enough here already to give real trouble. Any non EU rider caught should also be careful, for their visa could be cancelled because of criminal behaviour. Sorry.

So I suggest that everyone restricts what they say and dont post stuff which could be used against you.

Its not a good idea, this thread ,to be honest, for that reason.
Rectifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #34
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifier
I hope you all realise that green groups read forums like this; there's enough here already to give real trouble. Any non EU rider caught should also be careful, for their visa could be cancelled because of criminal behaviour. Sorry.

So I suggest that everyone restricts what they say and dont post stuff which could be used against you.

Oh no, not again ....... Please read the very first post -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicDomingo
Recently a few people have asked me various good questions about Pyrenees off roading, none of which I was able to answer.

I thought it was time to start a thread and shed some light on the situation.

Any knowledge on the legal situation, access issues, and above all TIPS for choice rides are needed.

Bring it on.

Surely, having clarity on what is or isn't legal, where or where isn't suitable to ride, what does and doesn't constitute responsible riding is all good to be discussed and brought into the open.

Responsible riders seekeing information as to what is and isn't possible, generally aren't the type of riders that will just ride anywhere on un-licensed bikes, ripping up sensitive natural areas. In my experience they want to go and enoy the surroundings they are riding in, not destroy them.

A post outlining the positives and legal aspects to keep eveyone on the right side of the law is surely not a bad thing.

Unless of course it's best kept secret.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #35
Magnon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifier

Nobody has published any specific routes. Most of the discussion is about the legal situation in the Catalan Pyrenees. In France, including the French Pyrenees, it is very simple - if it is not a national park (zone centrale) and there is no 'no entry' sign displayed it is legal to ride on it but this may not be the situation on the Spanish side. My limited experience in the Spanish Pyrenees is that it is very relaxed but other people have had different experiences and that is why this thread and others like it are so important.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #36
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
Responsible riders seekeing information as to what is and isn't possible, generally aren't the type of riders that will just ride anywhere on un-licensed bikes, ripping up sensitive natural areas. In my experience they want to go and enoy the surroundings they are riding in, not destroy them.

A post outlining the positives and legal aspects to keep eveyone on the right side of the law is surely not a bad thing.
Quite, exactly, what he said. The whole point of this thread was to get the info on what's legal and what isn't.
So far, all we seem to have established is that if it's 4 metres wide and isn't signed "No Entry" it's legal to ride.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #37
joan-gs
If I were a rich man.....

Oddometer: 55
A couple of remarks:

- CAMÍ in catalan means track.

- Law is hard to understand and difficult to apply (4m etc). If you ride legally no major Problems you will get. But "Tipical Situation with Foreigners visitors that do not know anything about the minimal educational behavior": A bike without dB Killer crosses full gas through a track in front of a Masia (Catalan Farm house). The owner of the Masia will call inmediatelly to the Police and police will surely catch you. Then, they will check even if the graduation of your glasses is the correct. And they will sure find something to put you a fine.

Or
- If you are found in a trialera (Hard enduro), they can even considerate it as you ride out of a track.
joan-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #38
bibo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Tens raó, Joan.

I think that everything depend on the attitude of the people when riding a bike.

I mean, do you consider yourself a "Off Road Rider" or simply "somebody that goes with his bike, gets lost and, eventually, the only way to go out is off the road"? That's a big difference. You can go "dressed to kill" with mud in all your bike and gear ( that means you come from hell!) or go with bike gear not very dirty ( maybe you are really lost). It depends on what you say when they stop you, your face... A lot of things that are known as COMMON SENSE.

Believe or not the agents are humans and they can read a face, an aspect an attitude. Then is when you capability of understand ( or not ) the situation and the deal with the agent can make you success or fail.

P.S: Whatever you do; ALWAYS RESPECT NATURE AND OTHER PEOPLE.
bibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #39
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Very wise words bibo and we should also make clear that when most people refer to "off road" what they mean is off tar surfaced roads and not riding across fields and mountains.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #40
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
Very wise words bibo and we should also make clear that when most people refer to "off road" what they mean is off tar surfaced roads and not riding across fields and mountains.
Quite right.
I mean, I'm not interested in ridng "off piste". I want to use the dirt tracks to get me to places that the tourists don't normally see. Into the unspoilt scenery for that fantastic mountain photograph to hang on your wall at home. Something like this....

I'm not interested if it's a real struggle to get there either. I'm now in my 50s and want to be able to ride my bike to these far off places and not have to haul the bike over or through obstacles where there's a risk of injury in the middle of nowhere. Plus I want to do it legally.

blacktiger screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 11:00 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:53 AM   #41
DominicDomingo OP
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by joan-gs
- If you are found in a trialera (Hard enduro), they can even considerate it as you ride out of a track.

Bon dia Joan

No entenc, que vul dir aixo?

DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #42
jp-speed-triple
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
has anyone actually used this route or road book?

http://vibraction.pagesperso-orange.fr/espagne/rb_5.htm

we are considering it for June 2011. given its a 4X4 friendly route, I'm assuming its ok on a fat GS.

Question is....what tyres? Tkc Knobbles or Tourance dual purpose.

Any experience on this trail?

thanks

jp-speed-triple screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 01:27 PM
jp-speed-triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #43
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Regarding the Spanish law. This video is at the Tiger800 launch and at 5:10 the Spanish bloke leading the ride actually says; "if it's over 4m then it's legal to ride".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSlwX...eature=related
Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #44
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-speed-triple View Post
has anyone actually used this route or road book?

http://vibraction.pagesperso-orange.fr/espagne/rb_5.htm

we are considering it for June 2011. given its a 4X4 friendly route, I'm assuming its ok on a fat GS.

Question is....what tyres? Tkc Knobbles or Tourance dual purpose.

Any experience on this trail?

thanks
I've had recent experience of the eastern end of that route. Not the exact route but the area to the west of Figueres and out just west of Ripoll. I'd recommend the TKC80 because it can get really muddy and slick if you're unlucky enough to have rain. For a couple of weeks before our trip last October, there had been several inches of rain and we had shod our Triumph Scramblers with Heidenau K60s and they were just coping. Look at the last picture bottom left on http://vibraction.pagesperso-orange.fr/espagne/rb_5.htm if you don't believe me.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #45
finestral
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joan-gs View Post
A couple of remarks:

- CAMÍ in catalan means track.

- Law is hard to understand and difficult to apply (4m etc).
The 4m rule may have changed since the arrival of a "new" political party to the catalan government.

http://www.naciodigital.cat/noticia/...ens/impossible

http://www.tv3.cat/videos/3566790
finestral is offline   Reply With Quote