User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
borovans OP
medicforce

Oddometer: 37
Laugh XR650l sidecar project

So here's some pics of the XR project. Its a CJ chassis with a swing-arm conversion. The body was manufactured in 1/8" alluminium, which might have been a mistake as it seems just too light, without 100lb of ballast it gets real tippy. I did all the manufacturing myself with no specialized tools other than a stick welder. Building a steel subframe for the main body made it easier to bend and rivet. The only wheel I could get to fit without major conversions was from a 1972 dirt bike (DT 175 I think) bought from ebay. Once again making it a little too light on the offside. The sidecar is attached using homemade subframe and some modified threaded bar from a snow plough. The seat is on hinges so the passenger might well be ejected if I hit anything, not a bad thing I guess, but more importantly it makes the best use of the space behind the seat for the weekly groceries. The seat is waterproof, got it out of an old boat. So how does it ride? Dreadful so far. Just feels really tippy. The fun was in building it and I've lost a lot of motivation since the girlfriend said she won't go anywhere near it, let alone ride down the road, ha ha, don't blame her. So whats the next step? Friends say I need to get some super stiff fork springs for starters, not sure I want to put much more cash in it. Any suggestions are welcome, may be open to selling it...Hate to give up though.

borovans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by borovans View Post
So here's some pics of the XR project.

*snip*

So how does it ride? Dreadful so far. Just feels really tippy. The fun was in building it and I've lost a lot of motivation since the girlfriend said she won't go anywhere near it, let alone ride down the road, ha ha, don't blame her. So whats the next step? Friends say I need to get some super stiff fork springs for starters, not sure I want to put much more cash in it. Any suggestions are welcome, may be open to selling it...Hate to give up though.

*snip*

Not all recipes are a roaring success straight away. Sometimes the recipe is a work of art ... but it just doesn't taste anything like you expected it to ... some take repeated tastings , an acquired taste if you will before the true flavour is fully appreciated. This one may just need some herbs and spices added.

Stick with it ... nice work so far

Old 10-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
borovans OP
medicforce

Oddometer: 37
Ha, ha thanks for the encouragement, think I may be missing a key ingredient however. Going to start tweaking things this weekend, if all else fails, more ballast!!
borovans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,165
You are most welcome Señor Borovans.

Have fun.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
I dunno what to tell you about the suspension. I've never had a dirt bike new enough to have that monoshock dealy on it. :3

I don't like sinking money into stuff, either. On the 400, I stuck some trash into the existing suspension to stiffen it up a little, instead of replacing stuff. PVC pipe spacers in the forks and some little pieces of pipe in the rear shocks. That does decrease the total travel of the suspension, though. Also used real fork oil instead of the usual (free) ATF so the front-end wouldn't be as sproingy. Though the fork tubes are starting to bend a little from the sidecar stress, which increases the stiction and makes it even less sproingy. :P

If it was mine, I'd get it driving good and ride the heck out of it. That is an awesome rig of awesomeness. Ratty looking stuff like that is, imo, far far more interesting to look at than the spifftastic shiny bikes, and much easier to care for (ie, hose it down every spring and spray some implement paint over the rust). :3
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,807
the stock forks are air adjustable, using a hand pump only, up to 7 psi can be added.

mount a 50 pound car battery on the foot step of the side car. more battery and added ballast.

bomber1965 screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 06:01 PM
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote