ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Hipster OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Mexico's Bicimaps vs. E32 maps?

After doing a search on both map sets and looking at their websites with the latest updates, I'm still a little confused. Both map sets sell for about $105 but, which map set would be a good choice for riding both on and off road in Baja? Also, I would like to ride mainland Mexico next year using the same map set.

I'll be installing the maps on a Garmin 60csx.
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
pepebaja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Baja Maps

From my personal experience on living, trail riding and exploring Baja starting on basic compass and Baja Expedition map on my car, to garmin 38, 45, garmin II, garmin III, garmin V and presently my trusty 276c and 60cs that i switch back and forth beteen bike and truck.
U have all maps available for Mexico.
Fort the most accurate and most up to date Topographical of Mexico, nothing and i mean nothing beats E32 maps. I recently upgraded to the 2010 revision and the WOW factor is amazing.
Again only way you can tell is to do a comparison betwen all masp which i do own and on my bike i toggle between bicimapas and e32 when i am on in Tijuana, Tecate and Ensenada but when the pavement ends...
E32 all the way. I have a place down in valle de guadalupe and recently 7 riders rode from my house to rancho Melling at sierra San Pedro Martir to wartch this years Baja 1000. We did the traditional ride that most off roaders take between Ojos Negros to Mike's and beyond and next day rode the coast doing the race course and being passed by many leftover participants that were way over due to the finish line and the accuracy of the maps is spot on.
Hope this helps anybody that likes exploring baja .
Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Wicked Mexico Maps

E32 has more off road detail which by most reports are pretty accurate. It has more trails than bicimapas. By the way, with E32, "Brecha" means dirt road, "Verada" means trail.

E32 does not auto route and Bicimapas does, if that's important to you.

I have both maps but have not done enough comparisons to recommend one over the other. Both providers are putting out updates every year, so the support is good.

Flip a coin and pick one
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
pepebaja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Topo maps

Hill climber, Glad you brought this up. i forgot to mention that observation. that is the reason why i have both mapsets depending if i am drivind/riding in town or hitting the trails. off road dont need no stinkin autoroute...
Old 12-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Both maps

Yeah, for the extra $100, it's worth it to have both. I've only once had to refer to both maps to figure a shortest way out... E32 had the answer!
Put some waypoints in, look at the gps when you figure you need to and you're good to go
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepebaja
Hill climber, Glad you brought this up. i forgot to mention that observation. that is the reason why i have both mapsets depending if i am drivind/riding in town or hitting the trails. off road dont need no stinkin autoroute...
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Hipster OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Thank you for the responses. It looks like the best choice for me is the E32 and I'll also pick up the Baja Almanac (still a paper map guy at heart).
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
E32 works well for me in the central highlands area. Not perfect, but I found it better for off road than bicimapas. I haven't done the upgrade yet, need to do that.

If you like roads like these logging roads in Michoacan and Jalisco, look no further than E32:

Kiko screwed with this post 03-26-2010 at 06:11 PM
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
bajafool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I am very close to making the decision to buy the Cartografica E32 map. There are a couple of things that are holding me back.

First I am a Macintosh user. The website says that the E32 map is Macintosh compatible, anyone tried this map who is a Macintosh user?

Second, I currently own a newly locked, formerly unlocked copy of BiCiMapas Mexico GPS Atlas v3.2 upgraded to v3.8. Garmin changed their unlock code system to eliminate hackers. This has caused big problems for those of us who have the BiCiMapas Mexico GPS Atlas. Upgrading Garmin Map Install to a later version than 2.1.1 will cause the map to lock. In addition, upgrading Base Camp for Mac to the latest version 3.0.1 will cause the map to lock. What has Cartografica done to overcome the Garmin lock problem?

Third, I've seen some screen shots of the Cartografica E32 map that display the area from Tecate east to Rumorosa BC Mexico and south to below Rancho El Compadre on the El Compadre road. When I compare this screen shot to the same view using the BiCiMapas Mexico Atlas, there are clearly many more ranches identified on the Mexico Atlas map. The E32 map clearly has far more roads and topographical detail displayed, however. The names of the ranches are very important for navigation. I do not know the version of the E32 map that I saw, it could be old and all of the ranches are now listed on the latest map. The Mexico Atlas was version 3.8.

Fourth, there does not seem to be any retail outlets in the USA for the E32 map. I'm in San Diego, CA and dealing with a Mexican retailer is not a big deal to me, but it would be nice to buy the product in the United States.

Fifth, I could just upgrade the BiCiMapas Mexico map, but they do not support Macintosh. I would have to buy the PC version, ask someone with a PC to load Map Convert, download the map to their PC, convert the map to the Macintosh compatible format, load it to my Macintosh, do this each time I want to upgrade the map program and hope that their PC map will continue to work as Garmin fights off the hackers who caused this problem to begin with. And, other than the issues that I listed above, I think the E32 map is a superior product that comes in a Macintosh compatible format.

Can anyone offer suggestions on what to do? Could someone post a screen shot from the latest version of E32 of the area that I described above, so I could compare with my version of BiCiMapas? Thanks for any help on this perplexing dilemma.
bajafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
DKW1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Problems with bicimapas

Good luck with bicimapas. The software has never worked well with my Garmin 550 and the support sucks.
DKW1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW1200
Good luck with bicimapas. The software has never worked well with my Garmin 550 and the support sucks.
what are you using for Central and South America?

I thought Bici was the only game in town.

I have a Zumo 550.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Omarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
There is another Good option, you might want to check it out http://www.cartografiagps.com/index2.htm

regards

Omar
Omarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
bajafool
Adventurer

Omar,
I sent an email to the CONTACT address for Cartografica GPS with questions about the E32 map, I never received a reply. See my questions and concerns above, posted by BAJA FOOL.

The questions I would like you to answer are:
I have a Macintosh computer, running OSX 10.6.3. Is your map
compatible with my computer?

Have you solved the problem that Garmin created when they locked your
maps?

Are you going to add more names of ranches, especially for Baja
California and Baja California Sur?

Do you have an American source for your map?

When I look at the ordering instructions to buy online, the ad shows a
picture of a CD, but the description says that the MAC version is only
available as an Internet download, I am confused. This is what the ad
reads:

E32 CD-MAC
GO GREEN
Available on Internet
version only
Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
Omarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hello Bajafool I dont remember recieving your mail but I can gladly answer your questions right here..

- the map E32 2010 is compatible with Mac and works ok but for the moment you need to have Roadtrip v. 2.0.1 and mapinstall 2.1.0 so the map can work.

- we are working on solving this issue with the codes, maybe in a month

- we allready added thousands of ranches a litle towns to all mexico since this 2010 update

- we do not have a distributor in the US yet

- the picture of the CD is just to ilustrate the section but the mac version is only available by download, actually for outside Mexico we only have the download version available.

regards

Omar Ortiz
Omarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
bajafool
Adventurer

Omarin,
I sent you a private message.

Baja Fool