Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Any 15 year or older Macallan (stay away from the cask strength, it puts hair on your stomach).
Whatever you do, DON'T stay away from the cask strength --- it is a full scale whisky experience; its great taste just blows up in your mouth and then it warms all the way down.

Aformentioned Balvenie Double Wood is very good. Generally speyside is good in reasonably affordable whiskys. I've no experience with the high-enders.

We obviously have different tastes -- you can take Talisker and the other Islay whiskies away for all I care.
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,415
I enjoy Macallan

I also like a good Irish, Redbreast in particular.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #18
earwig
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootch
-- you can take Talisker and the other Islay whiskies away for all I care.

I just re-read my post and it might be misleading. Talisker is from the Isle of Skye, and it's the only distillery there. Islay is an island a bit further South down the West coast of Scotland with eight different distilleries.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #19
Davo-55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootch
Whatever you do, DON'T stay away from the cask strength --- it is a full scale whisky experience; its great taste just blows up in your mouth and then it warms all the way down.

Aformentioned Balvenie Double Wood is very good. Generally speyside is good in reasonably affordable whiskys. I've no experience with the high-enders.

We obviously have different tastes -- you can take Talisker and the other Islay whiskies away for all I care.
Oh I never would pay 100 bucks per liter (approximately) for any libation. My brothers part in the Thanksgiving was to supply the drinks. He chose Talisker. The only scotch I had sampled previously was Chvas, Johnny Walker (red and black) and Dewar's. I may have also sampled Cutty Sark. I have found that my tastes are evolving...used to drink gin almost exclusively, some times bourbon with a chase. Then discovered that bourbon absolutely tastes best over ice with a splash of water. The recent sampling of the Talisker (also over ice with a splash) got me thinking that I may actually prefer the taste of scotch over bourbon
Davo-55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #20
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 8,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig
I just re-read my post and it might be misleading. Talisker is from the Isle of Skye, and it's the only distillery there. Islay is an island a bit further South down the West coast of Scotland with eight different distilleries.
WTF do you know about it anyway?

P.S. Vern and I crushed a bottle of Laphroig 10 a few weeks ago. It was way better than I remembered.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
earwig
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
WTF do you know about it anyway?

P.S. Vern and I crushed a bottle of Laphroig 10 a few weeks ago. It was way better than I remembered.

Somehow I sorta "moved on" from Laphroaig when it became the go to peated whisky. I recently have a new found respect for it though, great stuff, great distillery.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #22
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 8,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig
Somehow I sorta "moved on" from Laphroaig when it became the go to peated whisky. I recently have a new found respect for it though, great stuff, great distillery.
I haven't had it, cause I remember it as too hot and acerbic tasting somehow. I think the 10 year age shied me away from it, as 10's seem hotter than I care for. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Cheaper than Lagavulin, and almost as good.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #23
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,737
Sheepdip. Good stuff even to wretched excess, especially when followed by a fine Ibuprofen.

'04 GS Adv- A fond memory
'07 990 Adventure- still bonding...

How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:31 AM   #24
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,564
Macallan is my favorite Scotch, also enjoy Jameson's Irish Whiskey..

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #25
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,203
Johnnie Walker for me.

Not the fanciest, but not rock-bottom rotgut either.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #26
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
I talked a bartender into helping me out with scotch tastings one evening. He had a buncha different scotches.

I've decided I don't like the peaty/smoky stuff. I DO like the highland scotches that I've tasted tho.

Course, I'm still much more of a beer drinker, so I'll hafta save the hard stuff for those weekends when I'm beered out.

Oh, the Capt Morgan's Long Island Iced Tea in a bottle is pretty good for a pre-mix.

M
Old 12-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #27
Holden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Laphroaig 10yr / or Cask Strength
Lagavulin

Anythign peaty will work for me.
"Now I listen to my sweetheart and I listen to my thirst. I don't spend time listening to other peoples words. Sometimes they're right most times the reverse. They say the best is for the best when the best's for the worse" - Josh Ritter
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #28
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,405
Balvenie 21 year. Not exactly your everyday whiskey, but for those special occasions, it is simply the best single malt available.

Had a bottle at our wedding. The best $125 I've ever spent on liquor. A "spare" resides in the cellar.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #29
Mr Natural
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435
Another vote here for Ardbeg for the smokie flavor. Many agree.
Ardbeg makes another that is very hard to get ahold of, called SuperNova which is measured as the smokiest of all Scotches.

reviews abound for Ardbeg
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #30
Parrothead
Cu Dubh

Oddometer: 423
Only two kinds of Scotch

... the kind you buy and the kind I buy. The kind you buy always tastes better than the kind I buy.

Seriously, all good recommendations here. There's another Scotch thread on here that is very informative. Do a search. While sampling some of these fine recommendations. If you're new to Scotch, perhaps a very little bit of clean water and ice to mellow it and bring out the fragrance. And don't forget a good cigar to go with it.
"... You can go through life fudging and evading, indulging and slacking, never really hungry nor frightened nor passionately stirred, your highest moment a sentimental orgasm and your first real contact with primary and elemental necessities the sweat of your deathbed." - H.G Wells
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: