User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Riding Nevada's Pony Express Trail

Hi'ya ADV world, I've been on hiatus, but have been lurking and following along on others rides.

So, I'm not sure how I want to provide my lead-in, so I propose/present this

Well, to clarify one thing right up front I am surely not young, and a far cry from my youthful skinniness. The more I think about it I'm not to sure about the "willing to risk life and Limb" either, but damn! sounds like fun.

This is a project I started on way back in 2008 finalized it the end of 08 just in time to shelve it, as life had thrown me in a different direction for a while

Many will remember I headed off mainland; anyhoo. I returned in 2010 rode my arse off and then started thinking of doing this ride again, but knowing the desolation, I mean the extreme remoteness and extreme geological changes I need to find a small group of like minded individuals stupid enough....... ummmm....... I mean adventurous enough souls to join me.

I know that I am going to need a small group of experienced riders whom can be counted on to enter into these "trials and tribulations" with reckless abandon... well maybe I'm a little over the top on expectations

And so my quest was on; I thought I had it together last year but that unraveled quicker than a cat with a roll of toilet paper. I found myself in Death Valley riding around in the end Of February of this year with a group of guys of whom all qualify as Pre-geriatics (myself included). As we rode all over DV generally abusing ourselves Laughing joking and popping ibuprofen all the while having momentary Senior moments (CRS) I mentioned a ride I had been sitting on for 4 years. I could see once I started providing the details of the ride a spark and a twinkle in their eyes, and I knew i had the right guys!

Now just getting the stars to align. I pitched a date out that I predicated on my extensive research about the region, including Farmer's Almanac, and so May 20th is the kickstand up or foot in stirrup date.

Now what to ride? I had ridden the Utah section last year solo on my 990 and was an easy enough day ride. It could also be a good overnighter. So, in the course of my researching and browsing through some other inmates rides of the PE Nevada (Cyborg and WoodWorks) it was clear to me a smaller lighter bike was in order, so the DRZ was to be the steed for this section of the PE. How ironic that we all had DRZ's this makes logistics simplistic........ I just love it when a plan comes together

WE had one more issue to work out as it was 320 ish miles from Boise just to the start point on the Utah/Nevada border. and the return trip to Boise from The California/Nevada Border. I calculate around 1400 miles round trip, but the loop on my ride was 1556 miles.

And there we have it, my Preamble so please bear with me as this will be a work in progress throughout the summer as I will be heavy into riding also, therefore my every waking moment is not around the computer... it is a work in progress.

See you out and I'll leave you with this for now.

Please hit the stop button at the end of Trailer or it will continue to play. Can't get it deleted

And with this

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 12:37 PM
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Cool. Looks like I will be traveling thru some of the same country soon.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post

That is cool

Looking forward to the rest of the story

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,105
Sweet!

I'm "IN".

Are you ready?
Are you a young skinny wiry fellow. Anxious for adventure and a chance to see our great West?
Are you an expert rider willing to risk death daily?

Then let's go Sam!

Q~

Questor screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 02:11 PM
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
PHOTON PHIL
THe REAL poser

Oddometer: 249
In also. I can't wait for the rest. Safe travels.
PHOTON PHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 850
Drz??

Hey Sam; I'm In!!... can't wait to see the rest!...

PS: if I buy a DRZ 400 will you start inviting me on these!!??
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,404
oK

I guess if there isn't going to be a personal slideshow BBQ type event then I am in.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
In

In like flynn
Old 05-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

OK, so as I had stated I chose to take the DRZ, as it is lighter and has a tighter turn radius, all I had to do is gear it for it's intended mission. I changed the gearing to a 14 counter and maintain the 44 on the rear, this turned out to be perfect.

You'll notice the fuel can and the empty bottle on the back..... So glad I had those, I'll explain later.

Had some of my resource information aboard, you will see I will use it for citation information on historical events that took place as we travel the Trail.

We met up early on a chilly Monday morning and headed out tho old Highway 30 staying on as many back roads as possible.

OH, it appears I overlooked the riders. Coolsen, Shutterman, and Steve enough said; and away we go.

Knew we had a long ride ahead of us but still wanted to make it interesting so we route by some historical points of interest. WE hit one that I was not aware of called Rock Creek Station laying between Twin Falls and the South Hills

This is the old store

The provision cellar. Notice the jacket, it may be sunny but it was still pretty cool.

holding up pretty good....... eh!

An ominous sign of things to come.

There was a nice new Interpretive Center on site too. About 2 years old now.

Craig and Steve

If you would like to know more.

http://idahoptv.org/outdoors/shows/p.../RockCreek.cfm

Off we go onward towards Oakley where we fill up as this is the last till Wendover Ut/NV. Well, one must make a loop through the City of Rocks when in the neighborhood.

Register Rock

Onward through Grouse Creek, Lucin skirting the Utah Nevada Border arriving late in the day. Traveled 321 miles.

Aldous Huxley
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,489
Great start Sam!
I'm sure this is going to be awesome.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
toofattoraceanymore
Old Racer

Oddometer: 18
Awesome!

Be safe!
toofattoraceanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Morning, This was an awesome road as a matter of fact we saw no traffic for 50 miles. This road is the one I mentioned in earlier post as a back-way to Wendover. We dropped down over Libby pass bringing us to the turn off for Bonneville Salt Which BTW was covered in water.

The Mountains on the right side is basically the Nevada Border

Aldous Huxley
Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Day 1

We rose to a chilly but pristine day, "nothing but Blue skies do I see" Fueled up and this is where I topped off my reserve fuel receptacles. 1.5 gals in the red can and 3 liters in the bottle. You see I calculated it to be 240 miles to Eureka where we were going to stay for the night. What! "no camping you say". Yea I know kinda out of character for me. Let me quantify my reasoning.

First, I wanted to travel light (relatively) so this shaved about 20 pounds.

Second, I knew we would have to deviate off the trail in order to refuel/resupply and figured what the hey might as well have a nice hot shower and bed to cleanse the aches away; In hindsight I think it was a Great Call.

OK, where was I ...... OH Fuel. I knew the Trading Post no longer had fuel or even really open for business, but I had information of another place just over the Nevada Border, "JP General Store" but I wasn't chancing their being open or no so extra fuel it was.

We are off traveling pavement south along 93A to our turn off to Ibapah Ut. our start of the Pony Express. We arrive at the drive way to the Trading Post we are now 381 miles just to get to the start.

I turn on my GPS start zeroing out all my information checking air pressure etc, etc, you all know the drill.

That's the Trading Post behind us aka "Deep Creek Station" the old Eagan Ranch.

We rolled a mile or so on into Ibapah

Had some information to kick it off

So it starts..

"One thing most of the historical accounts and legends agree on is that Nevada’s roughly 400
miles of trail were among the toughest and most dangerous of the route. Searing heat, frigid cold,
blinding sandstorms, freezing blizzards, parched alkaline flats, bandits, and the bloody Paiute
Indian War made the section of trail between the Sierra Nevada and Utah’s Deep Creek Station a
veritable no man’s land, “a challenge to the very idea of life,” as Joseph J. Di Certo writes in his
book, The Saga of the Pony Express."

Aldous Huxley
Old 06-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,368
Sounds like a great trip!! Subscribed.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
IN, looks like fun. Love the wide angle pic.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote