Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #151
Chilipepper
Baja wannabe

Oddometer: 821
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Seida
So what do you guy's use to lube your chain? Gear oil? Chain wax? WD-40? That what i used to use on my old 2 strokes and i would always out last my buddies 2:1.Sorry, but $200 chain oilers are out of the question .Also, how frequently do you oil your chain, in wet conditions and dry conditions?
You've done a great job on this bike! For your chain have you checked out the Loobman? http://loobman.com/
I put one on a few years ago and use gear oil in mine. You just give the bottle a squeeze and oil gets to both sides of your chain. The parts on your swingarm are very durable and the 'applicators' are zap straps so you can get replacements when they wear out. Works great for me.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #152
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
Re: what the KTM guys do? Their extensive complicated bodywork keeps the splash from reaching them. Others simply put on an ordinary KTM dirtbike fender, also known as a High Fender. I would always opt for the high fender, but that's just me.

Great job, I should say. So, knowing very little about different suspensions, why did you choose the different front forks? Why not choose something already suzuki, like some motocross doodads?
Remember, I am a suspension idiot. Mine goes up and down, and that's good by me. Others have said mine is incredibly, terribly stiff, and what do I know? I never ride anything else.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #153
ELM0T0L0C0
Less Talk More Throttle

Oddometer: 184
Met up with Ron in Creel. The bike looks as bad ass in person. Now I gotta shop for a katoom fairing for my DR.

2006 TE610, 2005 DR650, 2006 CRF450X, 2003 SV1000, 1977 XS650s
ELM0T0L0C0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #154
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,251
To Jeff, John and Berkley, it was great meeting you guy's! You have some great stories! Cool adventure, have a safe trip back.
D. Irwin...
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #155
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
Re: what the KTM guys do? Their extensive complicated bodywork keeps the splash from reaching them. Others simply put on an ordinary KTM dirtbike fender, also known as a High Fender. I would always opt for the high fender, but that's just me.

Great job, I should say. So, knowing very little about different suspensions, why did you choose the different front forks? Why not choose something already suzuki, like some motocross doodads?
Remember, I am a suspension idiot. Mine goes up and down, and that's good by me. Others have said mine is incredibly, terribly stiff, and what do I know? I never ride anything else.
I chose the WP4860 because they are very plentiful, relatively cheap and accept lots of cool KTM add-ons like brakes and hubs. There is also a great variety of clamps to choose from. They are also an excellent fork when tuned right.
D. Irwin...
Old 01-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #156
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,751
That is one heck of a bike you built. I hope Suzuki is watching and follows your lead someday!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #157
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech
With my TM40, I get 40-45mpg. About the same as my K12RS. If you figure out how to decrease the popping by changing something on the TM40, let me know! Really wish I went the FCR39 with air-cut valve route. I am resorting to trying to make the popping less annoying by changing from a TwoBrothers M7 can to the GSXR can. Live and learn.

Your bike looks great and the trip looks fun, keep us posted!
Same here. I have the stock carb with Dynojet kit and get 45 mpg on day rides. Closer to 40 with the camping gear on. My opinion is the soft bags and duffel push a lot of air and that drops the MPG more than the extra weight.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #158
locopostie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
You can check them out here:http://www.steelpony.com.au/ They come from Australia and are very similar to the Andy Strapz bags. You can get the Andy Strapz from the states though, a cheaper rout as i paid nearly $100 in shipping alone. I hope they are worth it as i have been promised that they are water proof. Although i am skeptical, they have been well reviewed on Horizons Unlimited, so time will
tell.
Hello Ron
What a great build up. I just came down with a case of DR-envy.

What size are your steel pony bags?

Loco

2009 DR650
locopostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #159
Blu_Vue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
great build !

might I ask if you've parted with the dr forks and such ? I'm looking for a good set to swap on to a klr...
Old 02-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #160
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopostie
Hello Ron
What a great build up. I just came down with a case of DR-envy.

What size are your steel pony bags?

Loco
Hi Loco. The bags are 37l each. They are quite large, not for the minimalist, but excellent for long trips with camping gear.
D. Irwin...
Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #161
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Vue
great build !

might I ask if you've parted with the dr forks and such ? I'm looking for a good set to swap on to a klr...
Yes, i still have them, not sure if i want to part with them yet. There was a fellow inmate who had two or three sets for sale in the flea market, i would check there as i'm on the road for the next few months.
D. Irwin...
Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #162
Exile
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Excellent job! I forgot you were doing this build. The last time I came across it you were working out the instrument cluster and what a surprise to see it finished now. I wish I would have seen your cleverness applied to the Pelican case before I did mine. I may have to redo it. All in all a stunning bike! You should be proud.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #163
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

I'm back!

The story, and weather continues...
I left Creel and headed down to Batopilas with the intention of continuing on offroad to El Fuerte and Los Mochis, back into the warm weather...NOT! After arriving in Batopilas, i was informed that i could not cross the river, it was impassable on moto. Damn! So i headed back to Creel for another night while the weather was still good. Some photo's:

Jeff, John and Berkley returning from their C.America adventure.

Top of the canyon
And an awesome ride down!

These thumpers really like to rattle. It's a wonder they don't just fall apart!

I've done this ride before, and although i always try to never ride the same road twice, this one cannot be missed while in Mexico!
The next morning it was raining, again! Fuck! I really didn't feel like taking another snowy mountain off-road pass through Divisadero to the coast, so i decided to leave the Copper Canyon for the end of the trip and rode to Hidaldo de Parrall, a nice little colonial town full of Cowboys and pointy boots. The next morning i was off to Zacatecas to go visit my good friend Federico. Not a 100k in, this happened:

It was only a matter of time, and i was tired of packing that fucking tire around with me anyways!
I spent 4 nights in Zacatecas, which turned out to be a freezing deluge! It rained like crazy, along with storm like winds and about 5 degrees c. These people are tough like nails and make us Canadians look like a bunch of pussies! Nobody has heat in their home, you sleep with your clothes on, or i did anyways
Thats all for now, more in a few days.
BTW, just want to throw it out there, our friend Mezo is about to partake in a grand adventure himself. Lets all wish him the best and give him a great big internet hug!
Later...
D. Irwin...
Old 02-06-2010, 03:31 AM   #164
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
BTW, just want to throw it out there, our friend Mezo is about to partake in a grand adventure himself. Lets all wish him the best and give him a great big internet hug!
Later...
Fuck off you soppy prick

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #165
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

D. Irwin...