ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
rpeterk OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Rider Insurance WTF

Rider has decided to re classify my 09 versys to a sport bike and of course along with comes a 300 dollar increase. An increase that was more then the orginal policy cost. NO changes were made to my policy. How the hell can they get away with this. I have never had a claim where I was at fault and only a few to begin with and am 59. This is just so wrong. They say it is because of the claim rate. I could understand on my cbr954 which I dont even have insured or registered but a 650 twin 57hp versys. WTF are you guys doing that own these things? Learn how to fucking ride. Now its cheaper for me to insure a gs800.

So I am going to change at this point even if I dont save a dime because I am pissed and dont feel it is right . Tack it onto to the newer riders and policies not onto everyone especially if you have never had a claim. this state sucks when it comes to insurance

Who do you prefer?
http://www.occr.net/
rpeterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Looksgoodinblack
LooksbetteronOrange

Oddometer: 2,743
Progressive. I didn't see any increases in the last 5 years
'04 DL 650, '03 450 EXC - Plated, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
rpeterk OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looksgoodinblack View Post
Progressive. I didn't see any increases in the last 5 years
Thank you Yes I see you have a dl650 and that is how I have purposed my versys. TKC80's and all. Its like a truck for me not a damn sport bike.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,749
Progressive here also....

4 bikes, full coverage including $3000 in accessories, $1000 deductible across the board, roadside assistance. 2 riders (wife and me)

One year premium is $200, I pay in full for $41 discount so the actual cost is $159.00

Every year without a claim it goes down.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Progressive here also....
+1

You do have a choice, and if I were you, I'd choose not to pay them a penny more.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,886
They did the same thing with me on my Super Duke insurance recently.
Went from $125 a year to $755.

Policy runs out 7/22, switching to Progressive then. Around $150/year.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,347
+1 on Progressive... I did recently have a claim, wondering what that will do to my rates. I will say they handled my claim quickly and courteously.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,287
Rider sucks... A buddy of mine just went through hell with them on his Harley. It sat for a month at the dealer while Rider was going back and forth on the estimate with the dealer.
Finally after a month they decided to total total the bike because it had a one off custom (very nice I must say) paint job and they didn't want to pay the price to get the paint re-done even though my buddy paid extra to cover the custom work when he got the policy.

We have either geico or progessive my wife handles all the insurance... I am just kept around to keep all the machines and the house working.
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #9
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,209
Insurance costs.

Hey: FYI, I have rider ins, and still do, but here's my story.

Appx a year ago a "friend" of a "friend" on another BMW X crashed into me on a legal dirt road. We both took an ambulance ride, my hospital bill was over 30K. I had a broken rib or two, separated shoulder, and other soft tissue damage.

The crasher's ins was geico, lowest limits allowed by NJ Law, 15K, 5K, 5K.

Rider then has to cover the difference (15k plus) of coverage because of "under insured motorist coverage".

My Lawyer says Rider can sue the "crashers" personal estate to recover $$$.

It may not come to that, but I'm just sayin, that if you have "assets" and are under insured, and cause an accident, it could cost you alot more than the premium.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com

jack splash screwed with this post 07-05-2014 at 06:57 AM
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
I had Progressive until it came time to renew. It was cheaper to get a new policy (exact same conditions) than to renew. It was even cheaper to switch to Geico and maintain the exact same coverage (100K/300K).
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
rpeterk OP
Studly Adventurer

fIRST Thanks for the help fellas.

Jack
I dont carry the min. I could understand if it was my cbr954 but a barely 60hp versys and they re classify the bike to a sport bike. They are out of their minds. Probably cheaper now to insure a gs800. Charge new customers dont screw the old ones. Not old because I have been with for a while and also a very long time. Never a claim. 59 not 19. How many guys are wrecking these bikes to warrant charging 300+ per customer increase. She says well take the collision of it. I said if I want a policy like that I would have it already. So give me fire and theft without the collision. Oh we cant do that. My comment was start looking for a new customer to replace me. I wont be back even if I have to par the same. On top of that she hung up on me which I let her know would be addressed in the email I am sending rider when i called back.

Will be calling around tomorrow. Have coverage till the 15th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash View Post
Hey: FYI, I have rider ins, and still do, but here's my story.

Appx a year ago a "friend" of a "friend" on another BMW X crashed into me on a legal dirt road. We both took an ambulance ride, my hospital bill was over 30K. I had a broken rib or two, separated shoulder, and other soft tissue damage.

The crasher's ins was geico, lowest limits allowed by NJ Law, 15K, 5K, 5K.

Rider then has to cover the difference (15k plus) of coverage because of "under insured motorist coverage".

My Lawyer says Rider can sue the "crashers" personal estate to recover $$$.

It may not come to that, but I'm just sayin, that if you have "assets" and are under insured, and cause an accident, it could cost you alot more than the premium.

Jack
Old 07-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,886
I can understand classifying my Super Duke a sport bike.
But think that should have done it before it was 7 years old.
When I called them the rep told me "we have a lot of claims on those bikes"

Riders is in what, 5-6 states? Since I've owned my SD I've only seen one other on the road.
So I don't think they are seeing "lots of claims" on them. When I asked him how many SDs Riders insured he didn't know.

I would have taken a $50-100 increase, whined a bit and paid it. But not a $632/year increase.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
rpeterk OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I can understand classifying my Super Duke a sport bike.
But think that should have done it before it was 7 years old.
When I called them the rep told me "we have a lot of claims on those bikes"

Riders is in what, 5-6 states? Since I've owned my SD I've only seen one other on the road.
So I don't think they are seeing "lots of claims" on them. When I asked him how many SDs Riders insured he didn't know.

I would have taken a $50-100 increase, whined a bit and paid it. But not a $632/year increase.
Exactly. We get screwed every year with cost increases so something is always expected. $50 would have been allot on a 200+dollar policy.

I doubt they would tell you even if it was starring him in the face.

Years ago my Dad kept bugging me to call good sams for Rv insurance. renewal time was around so I figured what the hell. Mind you RV insurance is very reasonable. I went thru the whole process just about and one of the last things she ask was what state do you live in. I said NJ. Oh my I cant write you a policy if you live in NJ. When I ask her why she told me they tried it and ended up with a 97% claim rate. I questioned her about that figure and she said that as unbelievable as it sounds it is what is was. I can only imagine that we have allot of non drivers in this state or a bunch of corrupt ones.

bob
Old 07-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
What-2-Do
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Progressive here Bob.

I stopped using Rider years ago when my buddy's daughter was a passenger on a bike that her boy friend was piloting, they crashed, her BF was killed. She flew over him landed on the ground with minimal injury's but kept in the hospital over night for observation. Turned out with Rider Ins. (maybe not all of their policy's but in his) the passenger was not covered at all.

Turned out in my policy (not a min policy but not full coverage either to be fair) once i read the fine print the pass was not covered either. My buddy had to pay all his daughters hosp bills or sue the parents of her now dead BF (not gunna happen) and I was happy I never had to find that out the hard way myself. No more Rider Insurance for me.

READ YOUR FINE PRINT!

That's all i've got to say about that.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #15
avc8130
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Rider did the same thing to me many years ago when I rode SV650s. 1 year it was ~$220 for full coverage, then I got the renewal and they wanted almost $750! I called and asked what was going on. They gave me the same BS about "re-classifying". I tried to persuade the agent as I made no claims and received no tickets that would justify MY policy increase. She said there was "nothing she could do". I did the only thing I could do...switch to GEICO and have never looked back. Poor business practice.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote