Old 10-24-2005, 08:47 PM   #16
northrider
Traveler

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL5A
Like this?
Hey 5,

I wondered if you would find this thread. Its starting to get cold so it must be time to put the studs on the Pegasso again. The picture looks like Hatcher Pass. Has it snowed up there already this year or is the photo from last winter?
northrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:41 PM   #17
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Hey NR-that was last Tuesday IIRC, the Pegaso is all studded up, and ready to play in the snow. There was a foot or so up at the mine....

And the road over the pass seems to be closed.

So winter is just a half-hour away from me.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:47 AM   #18
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Beautiful picture. Where was that taken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL5A
Like this?

snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:50 AM   #19
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oh never mind. Hatcher's pass! I was just there a few months ago. My pictures of it look quite a bit different.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:47 AM   #20
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,881
Nice jacket, Number Five.
Dysco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #21
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 964
Studded tires on a Strom?

I live in Boston and am sort of daring myself to keep commuting on the bike through this winter, staying off it only on really nasty days.

Since my commute is only 10 miles, I don't think the cold will be a problem. I rode until just short of Thanksgiving last year, and wearing a RoadCrafter over a fleece, the only real issue I had with cold was my hands going a bit numb. This year I've got a new bike (DL1000) with handguards, and heated grips are on their way.

But I'm pretty much terrified of slick conditions -- I've never done any dirt riding, and can count the number of times I've slid a tire on one hand. I'm probably blowing this issue out of proportion -- the roads I take are well-plowed in the winter, and I've always got the option of leaving the bike at home and taking public transit when I've got doubts.

Studded tires are legal on the roads here from Nov 1st through April 30th, so that's an option, too. Anybody have any experience with studding Continental TKC80s?
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:04 AM   #22
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

If your roads are usually plowed, and you're going to avoid riding on the worst days, you will mainly be riding on wet roads. Is the TKC80 really the tire you want for wet road riding, much less studded? For that, I'd get the best rain tire for your bike.
If you're going to ride any snow, go all the way and do every day no matter what. If you're not, you have to avoid any day there's even a chance of snow, or know someone with a pickup who really likes you.
The problem with sort of riding in winter is you may start riding in one kind of weather and finish a ride in something you didn't plan to ride in. If this happens, even if you have a way out, you may be tempted to go a little further, or try a little more snow, etc. I think it's best to jump all the way in right away.
Either way though, spend some time in parking lots on snow, even if you don't plan on riding on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody
I live in Boston and am sort of daring myself to keep commuting on the bike through this winter, staying off it only on really nasty days.

Since my commute is only 10 miles, I don't think the cold will be a problem. I rode until just short of Thanksgiving last year, and wearing a RoadCrafter over a fleece, the only real issue I had with cold was my hands going a bit numb. This year I've got a new bike (DL1000) with handguards, and heated grips are on their way.

But I'm pretty much terrified of slick conditions -- I've never done any dirt riding, and can count the number of times I've slid a tire on one hand. I'm probably blowing this issue out of proportion -- the roads I take are well-plowed in the winter, and I've always got the option of leaving the bike at home and taking public transit when I've got doubts.

Studded tires are legal on the roads here from Nov 1st through April 30th, so that's an option, too. Anybody have any experience with studding Continental TKC80s?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:05 AM   #23
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody

Somebody, I think a real problem is that you'll often find frozen (or potentially frozen) slicks at intersections, tunnels, over/underpasses, worksites, etc. Not to mention daytime snowmelt that refreezes as soon as the sun is off of it.

If your riding will be primarily surface streets, I'd go for the whole studded shebang. Seems like (based on the reports of those with direct experience, not my own so don't sue me for it) they'd only be a PITA on the highway (or at highway speeds). As others have noted, without them, you're kind of restricted to days that you *know* won't freeze or precipitate. Pretty slim in New England winters.

Nate

PackMule screwed with this post 10-25-2005 at 11:51 AM Reason: To remove the impression that I may have ridden studs in the past. I haven't.
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #24
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Seems like they'd only be a PITA on the highway (or at highway speeds). As others have noted, without them, you're kind of restricted to days that you *know* won't freeze or precipitate. Pretty slim in New England winters.

Nate
"Seems like"? Have you tried studs or not then? I think speculation is only going to add confusion here and is unnecessary when there are people with first hand experience available.

Just to make sure I haven't caused any confusion, I want to make sure I'm not mistaken for someone who said anything about being restricted to clear days without studs. That is false. You don't need studs to ride on snow or ice.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:19 PM   #25
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
"Seems like"? Have you tried studs or not then? I think speculation is only going to add confusion here and is unnecessary when there are people with first hand experience available.

Just to make sure I haven't caused any confusion, I want to make sure I'm not mistaken for someone who said anything about being restricted to clear days without studs. That is false. You don't need studs to ride on snow or ice.

Fair enough. Relax and have a drink. I've amended my post above to indicate that I've never ridden studs. I have, however, been acutely following the related threads on the subject here. Based on those reports, it seems that riding at highway speeds on dry roads causes accelerated stud wear, and at the very least, is quite noisy. I would expect these conditions to be exacerbated by a comparatively heavy bike like the original poster's DL1000. That, to me, would be a PITA. YMMV.

I have ridden un-studded knobs in the snow a fair amount. While it's fun, it's not something that I'd stake my ability to get to work on, especially with the conditions that we have here in the Northeast. With temperatures that yo-yo above and below freezing on a nearly daily basis, refrozen snowmelt and runoff are the biggest hazards for the commuter, especially if your work schedule sees you riding after dark (or before sunrise).

Based on this, I suggested that if his riding is mostly surface streets, there would be no drawback (indeed, many advantages) to running a studded setup. If his commute is not surface streets, well, hopefully he'll keep us posted and add to the winter riding knowedge base here.

I intend to do the same.

PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:46 PM   #26
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Usually the weather's a little worse here in Wisconsin than on the east coast, since we have no maritime influence. Up and down temps to greater extremes. I've consistently used plain 100% street tires to get to work every day, and always go home after dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
I have ridden un-studded knobs in the snow a fair amount. While it's fun, it's not something that I'd stake my ability to get to work on, especially with the conditions that we have here in the Northeast. With temperatures that yo-yo above and below freezing on a nearly daily basis, refrozen snowmelt and runoff are the biggest hazards for the commuter, especially if your work schedule sees you riding after dark (or before sunrise).
Old 10-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #27
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 964
Clarifying a couple of things

It's those unpredictable frozen slicks that PackMule talks about that have me thinking about studs. Ice patches are going to be around even on the best days. Studs won't be optimal for 99% of the pavement I encounter, but it might be worth putting up with that for the 1% of the time that I do need them.

Work and home are situated such that I can take either the highway or surface streets to get to work; The highway is a little faster when traffic is low, but at rush hour, the surface street route is more reliable. I also tend to take the surface route on days like today (Nor'easter) because getting blown around is less fun at highway speeds.

If I decide to ride through the winter, I'll likely stick to the surface street route regardless of whether or not I go to a studded setup.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 PM   #28
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Ok, here's where a guy who has used studded knobbies is going to jump into the fray, like oil on troubled waters (unfortunately the oil is from the Exxon Valdez !)

If I were going to use the bike for commuting 20 miles a day in the conditions I'm thinking that may be encountered, I'd maybe go ahead and stud up some knobbies. The beauty of the studs is that if you do encounter ice patches studded tires work fine-I would ride up to Big lake and ride the ice road just for grins, and one memorable afternoon I was riding on black ice with the cages sliding and slipping around me, while I was riding nice and planted. The look on a cagers face when you blow past them on a bike while they are barely able to keep it between the lines is priceless! I put 1100-1200 miles on my studded knobbies last winter and they were a long way from worn out, I did throw a bunch of them but that was probably sloppy installation. The good studs are intended to last the whole winter on a cage so they should work fine on a bike.
Now the next question-V Strom? That depends on the rider. I've never ridden one so I don't know how they feel at slow speeds on slick surfaces, if you're comfortable on sand and in mud it should work fine.
I'm not in a postion where I can commute on a bike and don't honestly know if I'd do it anyway. We have so many moose around here that I'd be concerned about hitting one, which can be a bad deal in a car so imagine what it would be like on a bike! And the idiots you would share the road with are another concern, but at least if someone was sliding up behind you at an intersection you should be able to take cover between the other cars.

My final word? I've ridden the Pegaso in winter both with and without studs. With studs was unquestionably better, in fact it makes the idea actually practical. This is not to take anything away from Snowrider, far from it. His ability to ride in the winter without studs shows the gap between motorcycle owners and motorcycle riders....
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:31 PM   #29
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

OBTW-
I think it's great that more riders are getting interested in winter riding. I'm thinking that we who are riding this winter should go for a ride New Year's Day and post it as a "virtual" ridereport, if you can get other riders together all the better.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 PM   #30
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,881
Let's straighten some stuff out about the studs:

You're going to get right around 4,000 miles out of a rear Kenda Trakmaster before losing all the studs and losing your ice grip. On the front, I was getting 8k miles before it went terminal (no studs, totally worn to the casing). This is riding mostly on dry pavement and mostly freeway speeds (80%) with very little braking. Plan for 3k miles on the rear and 6k on the front for max traction- side lugs help dig through snow, too.

The only drawbacks on dry pavement are increased stopping distance (but not dangerous) and mandatory earplugs. My max speed was 90MPH but I typically kept under 80 because of the stopping distance. Tire pressures should be up near 30PSI. As far as wear goes, I think the studs extend mileage more than anything.

I haven't heard from anyone who rode enough to wear out tires like I did so that's all I have to go on. I ran them from November to April.

As a side note, I had no motorcycle off-road experience when I studded my first set. I learned a TON on my daily commute and never crashed. If you start slow and stay reserved when the cages are around, you'll be fine.

Dysco screwed with this post 10-25-2005 at 10:41 PM
Dysco is online now   Reply With Quote