Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #421
tlong2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Hi, i'm new to this thread, Ive ridden 2 years all winter 50 miles south of chicago on a 50cc two stroke scooter with some baja minibike tires....I got lots of weird looks and people took pictures of me at stoplights in blizzard conditions. This summer I got a dr200 and put a michelin t63 120/80 on back, still have the stock trailwing on front, but its about time to replace the front after 13,000 miles. Im considering going to a 140/80 metzeler enduro 3 sahara for the back and a 90/90 on the front. I want something for chicago winters and mainly slush since the roads get cleared in a good amount of time. I want the fatter tires for more stability and better traction. I like the knobbies but a few days ago i was going around a corner and felt the front starting to slip, and the back goes all over the place which is fine by me, but fatter may be better. I'd also like to go to a slightly less agressive tread since i do a lot more road riding. Im newer to this than you guys though, so your input would be highly valued. I don't want to get tires that are going to be bad for these conditions since we are heading right for them now.

tlong2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #422
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
On a very light bike like yours (any bike, really), for winter street riding, the wider rear tire will actually hurt your traction rather than help it. You actually don't want float as you would with sand or mud -- you want the tire to sink down to the solid road/base or at least compact the snow to the point that it can provide some cohesive traction.

My bike spec's a 150 rear, and I run a 130 during the winter. I'd run a 120 if my rim size would allow it, which it won't (the 130 is already pushing it).

Welcome to the party!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #423
Boston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
New tires!!!

Quote:
You might try running a Michelin T63 on the front. It's not as aggressive as a full knobby, and cheapish. Otherwise, it sounds like a good plan. Search for a thread on Geek's "Loser" for VT500 destruction advice.
Awesome advice - I read all about Geek's "Loser" last winter trying to figure out what I could do with my VT500. His ascot is a little different in the sense that it runs a 18" rear, whereas my Shadow has a 16" rear. Really really useful info though. Check out my new tires!

My old ME880's with 2 winter season's on them:

In retrospect, I can't believe the ME880's worked as well as they did!

And my new winter tires....Duro HF904 on the rear:

And a Michelin T63 rear mounted backwards on the front:

They handle great on dry pavement - I'll let you know how they handle the wet and snow!!

Boston screwed with this post 12-17-2010 at 08:43 AM
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #424
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,336
You made that thing into an adventure bike!!!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #425
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
You made that thing into an adventure bike!!!
All bikes can be adventure bikes.

Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #426
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post

They handle great on dry pavement - I'll let you know how they handle the wet and snow!!
Sweet!
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #427
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
This will be my third winter riding on a pretty much daily basis. My commute is currently only 10 miles(each way), my trusty KLR always gets me there. Last winter I had gripster rear/ k761 combo, during the summer, I wore out a set of D606's, and now I've got a Pirelli Scorpion/used k761. I'm strongly considering changed them out for a set of Trackmasters. I'd love to do studs but I still live with my parents(moving out withing the next few months) and they flip anytime I ride in the real bad stuff.

I will agree with comments made earlier, winter riding is up there among the toughest things you can do on a motorcycle. It seems like every time I ride, I find something else I need to change/improve. Whether its the battery/shield fogging/hands freezing/jetting changing/etc.

The pictures in this thread are truly inspiring. I look forward to the day when I can get a shot of something so epic, I make the front page.
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #428
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Where are you?

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #429
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

"All bikes can be adventure bikes" I 've always thought the Ruckus was capable of it for sure. Then they had the Big Ruckus for awhile, you could cross country on that.

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #430
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post

Nice looking setup, i like it.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #431
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
the wider rear tire will actually hurt your traction rather than help it.
comparing apples top apples ( same rubber/tread, etc) I agree

however, good winter rubber that stays soft and pliable even well below zero is not available in the right skinny sizes

last winter, I ran studded Karoo Ts, stock V-strom sizes 110/80-19 F & 150/70-17 R , this winter, the Karoo T in front, but in back, a General Altimax Artic 205/50-17

so far, the wider tire is performing better, why, its a tire that's designed for winter conditions, soft rubber that doesn't need to heat up, good tread and sipes, a few weeks ago, I was in some mud, initially, going darkside was just a winter experiment, but so far I'm liking it for everything except uneven pavement and I try avoiding pavement anyway

I took a spin on the Kanc yesterday
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #432
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

That's awesome. Even though I have a Subaru, you guys inspire me to ridemore in the winter.

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #433
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
The DR200 might be the perfect bike for this. Since there's probably a lot more slushy stuff than packed snow where you are, I would not use knobbies. I would try "80/20" dual sport tires. Something like a pirelli MT90 AT (not the ST), or maybe even a TKC80, but that's as far as I'd go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlong2 View Post
Hi, i'm new to this thread, Ive ridden 2 years all winter 50 miles south of chicago on a 50cc two stroke scooter with some baja minibike tires....I got lots of weird looks and people took pictures of me at stoplights in blizzard conditions. This summer I got a dr200 and put a michelin t63 120/80 on back, still have the stock trailwing on front, but its about time to replace the front after 13,000 miles. Im considering going to a 140/80 metzeler enduro 3 sahara for the back and a 90/90 on the front. I want something for chicago winters and mainly slush since the roads get cleared in a good amount of time. I want the fatter tires for more stability and better traction. I like the knobbies but a few days ago i was going around a corner and felt the front starting to slip, and the back goes all over the place which is fine by me, but fatter may be better. I'd also like to go to a slightly less agressive tread since i do a lot more road riding. Im newer to this than you guys though, so your input would be highly valued. I don't want to get tires that are going to be bad for these conditions since we are heading right for them now.

snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #434
tlong2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider View Post
The DR200 might be the perfect bike for this. Since there's probably a lot more slushy stuff than packed snow where you are, I would not use knobbies. I would try "80/20" dual sport tires. Something like a pirelli MT90 AT (not the ST), or maybe even a TKC80, but that's as far as I'd go.
I got the pirelli mt21 rallycrosses 80/100 and 120/80 and slapped em on late last night because i knew it was gonna snow today, and i didn't want to make another commute on bald trailwings. So far the bike does great since it is so light and easy to hold up around those drift turns i like to do. The rallycross on the front really bites down to the pavement and i actually used my front brake(with my feet down to stabilize) when i was messing around on our dead end. Its also great in snow about a foot deep. Light bikes dont do well in deep snow, but these tires made a HUGE difference compared to the stock trailwing front and michelin t63 rear, so i am very pleased and excited to see what the rest of this winter can bring
tlong2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #435
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlong2 View Post
I got the pirelli mt21 rallycrosses 80/100 and 120/80 and slapped em on late last night because i knew it was gonna snow today, and i didn't want to make another commute on bald trailwings. So far the bike does great since it is so light and easy to hold up around those drift turns i like to do. The rallycross on the front really bites down to the pavement and i actually used my front brake(with my feet down to stabilize) when i was messing around on our dead end. Its also great in snow about a foot deep. Light bikes dont do well in deep snow, but these tires made a HUGE difference compared to the stock trailwing front and michelin t63 rear, so i am very pleased and excited to see what the rest of this winter can bring

That general is a car tire isn't it? Looks really square and hard to turn with. (?)

F.W.I.W. I use IRC GP1's as my winter tire. The small knobs penetrate the hard pack enough to get traction but they also allow snow to build up between the knobs at speeds under 40mph (over that and it flings out) for excellent traction before it's packed.
Next year I'll be saving up to buy a compressor and a stud gun to use automotive style studs. Then I'll try a more aggressive knobby.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote