caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,790
Beat to the punch! ....stupid work...

Dysco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:48 PM   #32
Macushla
Foxy Moron

Oddometer: 4,949
Can you guys provide a link or the name of the company that makes the electric gear (jackets, vests or gloves)?
Thanks.
Macushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:04 PM   #33
Macushla
Foxy Moron

Oddometer: 4,949
Nevermind, I found it.
Macushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:10 AM   #34
da 919_ster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,878
do they make a specia studded snowtire for sb's. I have always wondered this.
da 919_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:29 AM   #35
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
If by "they" you mean a manufacturer, then no. But these guys have it figured out....

http://www.iceroadracing.net/

Apparently the tire technology is a secret though.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:39 PM   #36
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 963
Well, I've now ridden in snow -- sorta. I rode to go into the office today to take care of a few things. When I went to leave, I found it'd started snowing. But it was just flurries, and was melting when it hit the ground, so it wasn't much different than riding in a cold rain.

I stopped by a bike shop one the way home to buy some overdue winter gloves. By the time I was done at the shop, the snow had started coming down much harder, and was accumulating a bit, though not on the roads.

Underway, my visor fogged/iced over quickly, so I kept it at an angle that let me see out and kept my glasses mostly clear. Traffic was heavy, and of course I was learning to deal with the bulkier new gloves at the same time, so on the whole it wasn't the most enjoyable ride I've ever had. But I only had a few miles to go, and they passed uneventfully.

I've ordered one of the Respro Foggy masks recommended on another thread to deal with the fogging, but I'm thinking an electric visor like the one Dysco mentioned is the only real solution for riding when the snow is actually coming down.

Thanks for the other comments and suggestions; I'm starting to think that this is doable, and that I might not even want to limit my winter riding to commuting.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:45 PM   #37
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody

Thanks for the other comments and suggestions; I'm starting to think that this is doable, and that I might not even want to limit my winter riding to commuting.

True enough, you might want to go out and do a little trail riding!

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:08 AM   #38
AdvCav
Stay Alive - Stay Aware

Oddometer: 42
I have used studs...

I have a beater LTD440 with Bridgestone M77/78 knobbies and short sheetmetal screws in the outside knobs. I run low, low air pressure and with low seat, low power, and low cost, this gets me through my residential 3 mile commute(<20mins). I encounter mostly thin ice and frozen slush. I will increase tire pressure if I know the roads will be dry. This keeps the studs off the road for the most part but MX knobs on the street are never going to handle great. The tires are not DOT and neither are sheetmetal screws.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:53 AM   #39
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Only one short snow ride so far this year. Riding on snow is really spooky when there's a big notch in the middle of the steering head bearings. I stopped riding it when I realized what was going on. Hopefully the shop will have the bearings in stock.
The TCK80s seemed to hook up pretty well though.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:50 AM   #40
RLK

Oddometer: 6,261
I'm in for the duration this winter, as I was last year. Last year I was on Maxxis 6006 tires because that's what was on the bike when I bought it. In June I put on Kenda 270s, kind of a 70% dirt 30% street tire. I only go about 500 miles per month. My bike, 1982 Honda XL250R, has no power and no brakes so tires last a lot longer for me than for most riders. I'm on pace to get 9000 miles out of these tires and change them in late spring.

My commute is 4 miles, about 3 of which can be interstate if I want but when its slick I take residential streets to avoid traffic. I'm not worried about crashing so much as I am about being crashed into.

Friday it snowed about 3 inches. the knobs kicked ass and hooked up fine. Saturday morning it was 7 degrees F, I could have ice skated home. (I work 3rd shift) Pure glare ice all 4 miles. I'd have loved screws. Yesterday most of the ice melted and re-froze in spots. Tonight there will be mostly dry pavement and only spots of black ice in the shaded areas. Screws would be totally wrong. Studs sound interesting but during the long streches of dry weather we get, they'd just grind away to nothing before the next storm comes. So I use the bare rubber for everything.

I'd love to know more about the electric visor. How much current does it draw? How does it work?

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:11 AM   #41
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,300
Does anyone have a link for buying a stud gun and some studs. I already have a compressor. I have also seen those pre-studded tires at the back of cyclenews in the past. Does anyone have a link for Pre-studed tires?

This is my second winter here in Nebraksa. The first one I rode everyday except the entire month of January. This year there is already snow on the ground and it is only December. I have to get some studed tires and give this a shot before I go crazy. When I was younger I used to ride an XR600 on the snowy streets of Reno with just knobbies. I crashed a few times but at that age it did not bother me. I don't heal as fast as I used to these days.

TIA,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 AM   #42
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,266
Been winter riding for almost 25 years now. Rode to work this morning in 12f temps, as a matter of fact. 20-25 minute drive to work most days.

Just using TKC's on my 640Adv. Wear a BMW helmet with a Pinlock visor. Bought that in Belgium, dunno if it's available here, but does a good job of keeping the visor clear. Heated grips, but don't bother with my vest on such a short ride.

Didn't like steel studs on asphalt, way to squirelly, so I just go with knobbies. Used to ride an FZ750 year round, regardless of weather. Used my old rain slicks as winter rubber, worked VERY well. Wheelies at minus 30. Even dragged a peg with them on off-ramps when I was younger and dumber. Lots of stick.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:14 PM   #43
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundlightKnight
My commute is 4 miles, about 3 of which can be interstate if I want but when its slick I take residential streets to avoid traffic.
Because of speeds and traffic volume, interstates maintain more surface temperature and are usually clear when everything else is slick. The problem is, sometimes they still get snowed under if there's enough coming down. When they're clear it means an easier ride home but if they're not it's an un-fun place to be. I've never gotten this one totally figured out, I still guess wrong sometimes.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:19 PM   #44
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc46
Does anyone have a link for buying a stud gun and some studs. I already have a compressor. I have also seen those pre-studded tires at the back of cyclenews in the past. Does anyone have a link for Pre-studed tires?
I guess I am answering my own question, but here is the place in case anyone else is interested.
http://www.winterstuds.com
I ordered up a set and found my old hippo-hands. I will be mounting everything up on my XR650 and hope to be back to my daily riding very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #45
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

I rode one winter in Nebraska getting around in small towns where maybe studs might not have totally sucked, but in a city like Omaha you should be spending well over half your time on mostly clear pavement. I don't know how it would be, never tried them, but I think they would make me unhappy in town. I'd love to get a place out of town and a stud gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc46

This is my second winter here in Nebraksa. The first one I rode everyday except the entire month of January. This year there is already snow on the ground and it is only December. I have to get some studed tires and give this a shot before I go crazy. When I was younger I used to ride an XR600 on the snowy streets of Reno with just knobbies. I crashed a few times but at that age it did not bother me. I don't heal as fast as I used to these days.

TIA,